Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Run the original Atari Cubase On Windows XP!! via STEEM Engine  (Read 10800 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Run the original Atari Cubase On Windows XP!! via STEEM Engine
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:13:45 AM »

http://www.zophar.net/atarist/steem-engine.html
http://tamw.atari-users.net/steem.htm

In the past, I would have had to say, "no". Atari programs only work within the TOS operating system. The Atari emulators for other platforms did not work with MIDI. While they were fine for games and other applications, the MIDI routines required for stable timing were not present for these emulators to run the programs well.
This has now changed! There is now an Atari emulator for the PC platform that works with MIDI programs. It is called "Steem Engine", and emulates an Atari STE.

http://steem.atari.st/

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Run the original Atari Cubase On Windows XP!! via STEEM Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:25:19 AM »
more information is desperately needed regarding STEEEM Engine support of actual PC midi hardware solutions / manufacturers
if anyone is reading and is an expert with STEEM using ATARI SOFTWARE for actual midi production on PCs please come forward!

Offline Mixermap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:04:25 AM »
You can run ATARI Cubase even on a Windows 10 PC with Steem too. I think I posted the fully-setup STeem+Cubase here in another post somewhere.
You can set it up to recognise any USB MIDI interface you connect to the PC (one MIDI out only).
Can only use a cracked copy of Cubase of course, since there is nowhere to plug a dongle in on the PC :)

Unfortunately the need to go through USB for MIDI negates the advantage of ATARI CUbase: the timing is pretty dreadful...

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »
You can run ATARI Cubase even on a Windows 10 PC with Steem too. I think I posted the fully-setup STeem+Cubase here in another post somewhere.
You can set it up to recognise any USB MIDI interface you connect to the PC (one MIDI out only).
Can only use a cracked copy of Cubase of course, since there is nowhere to plug a dongle in on the PC :)

Unfortunately the need to go through USB for MIDI negates the advantage of ATARI CUbase: the timing is pretty dreadful...

right -- but u could always choose to use a combination of hardware/software that you can use with a non-usb midi interface right? or does the steem engine only work with USB?

Offline Mixermap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 08:54:17 AM »
It would be very difficult to test Steem + Cubase with a serial or parallel MIDI interface. They only have drivers up to Windows 98 or 2000 and Steem won't run on those....

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
It would be very difficult to test Steem + Cubase with a serial or parallel MIDI interface. They only have drivers up to Windows 98 or 2000 and Steem won't run on those....

STEEM wont run on windows 2000? or win98se?
i didnt know..
but i have to say, there are many serial + parallel interfaces that work on XP

i will have to look into this further asap

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 12:31:06 PM »