Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: 19" sequential circuits prophet 2002 (1986)  (Read 3523 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
19" sequential circuits prophet 2002 (1986)
« on: November 04, 2015, 12:01:42 AM »

The 2000 may have been groundbreaking when it came out, but the Sequential programmers didn't let the grass grow under their feet. When they released the 2002 rackmount version a few months later, they doubled the memory capacity to 512K (John Bowen demonstrated this at the Frankfurt Musikmesse trade show in 1986 by fitting the entire Mission Impossible theme tune — all 58 seconds of it — into memory at the lowest sample rate, 16kHz (it didn't sound fantastic, as you can imagine, but then we were used to hearing it coming out of low-bandwidth TV speakers). At the time, it amazed people, although such memory capacities would soon be equalled by the arrival of samplers from Akai, Roland and Korg. But to keep existing 2000 owners happy, Sequential introduced another innovation which would become standard in the world of sampling; a memory upgrade. You could buy an extra 256K for your 2000 for £325 plus fitting. It gave the 2000s out there a whole new lease of life. I remember deliberating about selling my 2000 for one of the other samplers announced at Winter NAMM 1986 (which included the Akai S900, the Roland S50 and the Korg DSS1) just because they had 512K of memory as standard, and then hearing with relief that the memory expansion would be possible with the Prophet.
The 2002 had some ergonomic improvements over the 2000. The horrid membrane buttons were replaced by proper switches with LEDs in them so you could see which presets were selected from a distance. The gaudy different colours of the parameter tabs were replaced by a much nicer uniform blue, so you didn't get a headache looking at it. Best of all, it responded to aftertouch when played from a MIDI keyboard which generated it (although this facility was added to the software of the 2000 as well in a later update). In my case, I used a Prophet T8, which had never sounded quite as good as the Prophet 5, but which had the best keyboard ever for performance, with polyphonic aftertouch. I wasn't the only one to think so — New England Digital bought them from Sequential to put on the Synclavier. -- http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan04/articles/sequentialprophet2000.htm

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info