Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Cubase Dongles (which Color? Which Version?)  (Read 20047 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Cubase Dongles (which Color? Which Version?)
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:33:34 AM »
pc dongles - parallel
green = Cubase 2.7 pc (its possible green might be for the original SCORE version) (1994-1996?)
Red = Cubase 2.5  - Cubase VST 3.7 PC (1997-1999) (and also Cubase v3.05 XT ?)
Blue = Cubase VST 5 pc (Cubase VST 5, Cubase VST 5 Score, Cubase VST 5/32 different versions all blue) (2000-2002)

pc dongles - usb
Blue/translucent (USB) = Cubase SE|SL|SX 1,2&3 (2002-2004)

source: http://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/dongle-help.6733/

atari dongles
black = cubase v2.x for atari
red = cubase v3.x for atari
source: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.atari.st/HLhSD2brIt0
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:26:52 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
Re: Cubase Dongles (which Color? Which Version?)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:28:05 PM »
Hey there,

Bought regular Cubase 16bit 3.05 in January 1997, used with Windows 95OSR2, and my parallel dongle is... red.
This was before VST came out.
Ever since, good old Cubase 2.8 works like a charm with the dongle, under Windows 98SE.

Also got a discounted "educational" VST 5 Score later, with the blue dongle, in hope it would allow VST32 to run, but nope IIRC.

Great site, btw.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »
hey there;
i have the blue one and the logic dongle, but no red dongle!!
they are very hard to find now!!

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »
New addition to the family : a Cubase Score red dongle, scored for a few euros. Pun intended. :P
Works like a charm with Cubase Score 3.05, still 16bit.

So now I can run genuine Cubase on both of my Win98SE retro-computers, one old P3-600MHz/256Meg laptop with a MOTU Midi Flyer 2x2 parallel interface, and the even older but rebuilt P3-1000MHz/512Meg beast with internal Winman 4x4/s & Audiophile2496 cards and AMT-8 serial Midi interface. Both systems exhibit the same ~2% MIDI jitter, and slightly inacurate BPM.

;D

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 11:35:09 PM »
im going to be getting my hands on a green one soon so i can try to test when that happens!
hopefully soon!

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
New addition to the family : a Cubase Score red dongle, scored for a few euros. Pun intended. :P
Works like a charm with Cubase Score 3.05, still 16bit.

So now I can run genuine Cubase on both of my Win98SE retro-computers, one old P3-600MHz/256Meg laptop with a MOTU Midi Flyer 2x2 parallel interface, and the even older but rebuilt P3-1000MHz/512Meg beast with internal Winman 4x4/s & Audiophile2496 cards and AMT-8 serial Midi interface. Both systems exhibit the same ~2% MIDI jitter, and slightly inacurate BPM.

;D

i also have a winman 4x4/s! you run that at the same time as the AMT-8?? :o do they both work at the same time?
not to mention the Audiophile also has MIDI interface 1x1 on it doesnt it?

i dont have a pc-midi flyer but i do have a music quest 2portSE !!

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 05:14:20 AM »
heres pic of v3.7 (for PC) with red dongle

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 06:18:47 PM »
i also have a winman 4x4/s! you run that at the same time as the AMT-8?? :o do they both work at the same time?
not to mention the Audiophile also has MIDI interface 1x1 on it doesnt it?

Yes, all MIDI ports are available provided you use Windows 98SE or ME, which have not the 10 MIDI ports limitation 95 had.
The cullprit is MIDI clock replication, when using software sequencers that cannot send it to more than one MIDI ports. The AMT-8 port 0 (omni) is great for this. Not all gear requires or respond to MIDI clock sync, though.

When it comes to MIDI timing, I was shocked to measure no differences between the three :
https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/midigal-yet-another-midipal-inspired-project/6731/111

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:12:02 PM by foksadure »

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »
This happens the very same week I've discovered Photek was using Cubase on Windows 3.1 for his mid-90s DnB masterpieces back then.

there u have it - the real reason this site exists.. from my own experiments back in 2014 or so, i discovered that cubase 1.0 on windows 3.11 kicked ass and never screwed up any midi no matter what insane tempo i threw at it...
i was doing those tests on a winman 4/4s back then when i first got it.. i should repeat those tests now with my mqx-32m or my real Roland mpu-401s

yes ACPI is a serious foe of MIDI timing... i need to do more research into which motherboards allow it to be disabled completely i dont think u can completely disable it tho in any modern os past win98se as u have explained in your post here.. im foggy on the details tho as ive been distracted by my personal life lately, need to get back on the (oldschooldaw) attack ;)

im still hoping for some other people to come out of the wood work and volunteer to help with the information quest i've began - my only desired outcome is to help a new generation (and the old) rediscover the way to breathe creativity back into electronic music! with a serious belief that we've been led far far astray by the music software + hardware industries

so the red dongle works with 3.05 - did u get a copy of the installer from here? i forget if its here or not lol
the red dongle will not work with 2.80 will it?

and BTW your suspicions are 100% correct re: BX motherboards + PCI-ISA bridge. i have a similar board.. whats it called.. its an Abit/BE6  - and the winman 4/4s card did not function properly in this machine! always failed the diagnostics + behaved strangely + crashed the cubase app in windows 3.1
the same card works flawlessly when in an ISA only board. this is another reason why i put so much effort into timestamping + dating all the gear + apps on teh site.. so people can put the pieces together re: appropriate use + timing.. because its always been the case that new hardware breaks old software etc  and sometimes even vice versa; with jumps ahead in technology comes new bugs + incompatibilities

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »
Hey,

i discovered that cubase 1.0 on windows 3.11 kicked ass and never screwed up any midi no matter what insane tempo i threw at it...

I have a very old Compaq laptop from the late 90s which I used to test Cubase 2.8 on, under Win3.11 and the MOTU MIDI Flyer. I'm not so sure the results were that great. Got to try again someday.

Quote from: chrisNova777
yes ACPI is a serious foe of MIDI timing...

Back in the days, I used all the tricks to tweak 98SE and disable ACPI, USB, what not, on my MIDI computer. Unfortunately, any attempt to do a clean install failed ever since on this machine. So I rely on Ghost images I made as a backup.

There's a cool website for us, retrocomputer lovers :
http://win9x4ever.online.fr/index.php/telechargements
Unfortunately it's in french only. Feel free to ask if I can help.

so the red dongle works with 3.05 - did u get a copy of the installer from here? i forget if its here or not lol. the red dongle will not work with 2.80 will it?

The red dongle covers 2.8 & 3.0x in my experience. Just depends on the version (regular, Audio, Score).
I've got the files from the genuine Steinberg CD and ftp, if you need these.

its an Abit/BE6  - and the winman 4/4s card did not function properly in this machine! always failed the diagnostics + behaved strangely + crashed the cubase app in windows 3.1

Could'nt use the Winman 4x4/s in a Tyan 440BX Slot1 motherboard I had either back then. Same symptoms, while the Winman 2x2 I also still have was okay.
Invested in an Asus P3B-F instead, never looked back. There are a couple of NOS Intel 440BX boards on Amazon, just in case.

I also have a GadgetLabs Wave/4 ISA audio card laying around, never took the time to test drive it again and see how it goes.

Amazing work you're doing here. Really.  :)

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »

http://oldschooldaw.com/asus/1999/p3bf-104.pdf
re: p3b-f - nice board!!! http://archive.arstechnica.com/reviews/3q99/asus_p3b-f/p3b-f-1.html
i also have vintage asus motherboard info + manuals stashed on the site here: http://oldschooldaw.com/asus/

re: "i have the files from the original cd"
i definately dont have the original cubase 2.8 install cd - would love to get an iso of that
a friend has a dongle for me, which is a green parallel dongle - its been waiting for me to pick it up from his sister for hte past 2 years that ive been too busy with life + building this site to stop + Get it lol

the motherboard i was using to test the winman in originally was an Abit BE6 from 1999 so yea..
which coincidentally has USB ports built in.. i think for the winman to work like u said it needs to be used on a board that doesnt use an ISA to PCI bridge but rather normal native ISA ports (like those in very early pentium + 486/386 systems)

while the winman 4/4s appeared to work like i said it always failed the diagnostics that came with the driver install and caused some other wierdness i forget what at this point.. but i was struggling with it
i got it to work stable for a while and then it would act strange again.

i have no experience with the midi flyer by motu but i do have a 2PORT/SE from music quest

sorry im kind of repeating myself here abit lol must be the coffee :)

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
heres a red dongle that is clearly labelled as Cubase 2.5 for PC

Offline londonish

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 03:04:33 PM »
heres a red dongle that is clearly labelled as Cubase 2.5 for PC

Lol another pic of mine haha! I have this dongle still. I run cubase on the Atart, so might trade this for a Emagic Logic Mac v4 dongle

Offline MV-GTOW

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 03:36:57 AM »
Chris, I bought the Cubase VST24 producer pack back in the day. I still have it complete with all the extra software that came with it. On the product registration card, it says Cubase Version 3.7. Part no 191912-04. The dongle that came with it is the green one.

Does anyone know how to get the Wavelab that came bundled with it to work on windows XP?

Adrian.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »
Chris, I bought the Cubase VST24 producer pack back in the day. I still have it complete with all the extra software that came with it. On the product registration card, it says Cubase Version 3.7. Part no 191912-04. The dongle that came with it is the green one.

Does anyone know how to get the Wavelab that came bundled with it to work on windows XP?

Adrian.

the best thing to do honestly is to use it with the OS that it was designed/tested to be used with;
i used to try to stretch things how i wanted them to work but i have changed my mantra - its not worth the headache of things not working properly its much easier to always use the original OS that it was intende to be used with and strictly follow the reccommendations from the people who know best.

Offline wwinfrey

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 02:31:55 AM »
Are the red dongles locked to specific flavors of Cubase? If you have a red Cubase Score dongle, will it say, work with Cubase Audio XT 3.0, etc. ?

Offline articoci

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 04:29:51 AM »
Hi!
I have a green dongle for VST 3.55r3 PC.
I can use this dongle with Cubase 3.05 on Windows 3.1! :)

Offline wwinfrey

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 02:01:34 PM »
I am considering buying a German version of Cubase Score for PC with the red dongle 3.0. What versions of Cubase will this red dongle enable? My apologies if I am sounding like a broken record.

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 02:50:28 AM »
Cubase Score for PC with the red dongle 3.0. What versions of Cubase will this red dongle enable?

Any version of Cubase standard and Score from 2.8 up to 3.05 from early 1997, on any legacy Windows from 3.1 up to Millennium. I believe Cubase Audio won't work, but there's a cracked DOSBox version floatting around should you need it (just a matter of replacing the cubase.386 vxd file in C:\windows\system)

No early VST version will work AFAIK. It needs the green then dark blue dongles.

Cubase 2.x is the tightest in my experience, if that's important to you. But 3.0x brings more modules (e.g. arpegiator).

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 03:04:19 PM »
See original post from our host.

PC LPT Red Dongle : 16bit Cubase v2.5 up to v3.05, Win3.11/Win9x/WinME.
Flavour will depend on the label on the dongle (a regular "Cubase" dongle won't allow to run the "Score" version)
A "Score" dongle will run any version of the program.

PC LPT Green Dongle : 32bit Cubase VST 3.5/3.7. Can run VST/24 depending on the label, and  also runs the previous 16bit version as well (ref: post from articoci above).

PC LPT Blue Dongle : 32bit Cubase VST 5 up to v5.2b, Win9x/Win10x64.
If it's labelled as "Score", it will not allow to run Cubase VST/32, just VST 5 and VST 5 Score.

The Blue dongle may also allow to run the 16bit versions, but don't quote me on that. I don't quite remember if it did.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:52:34 AM by foksadure »

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2022, 01:26:41 PM »
This thread is self explanatory already.

Someone got himself a nice Cubase green dongle with the original VST 3.5 box/CDR for $40.00 in June 29th 2022.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255606065951

Including an Echo Darla PCI card that might still work on a Win7+ computer (with a PCI slot or a PCI-PCIE adapter). :o

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 01:59:14 PM »
So you're the one that bought the whole lot of 6 x Cubase PC dongles?  ;D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195374309876

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2022, 07:52:57 AM »
Auction is closed and the seller does not ship to my country, so no point.

This put aside, he sold a Green VST/24 LPT dongle (that could replace a Red one) at a decent price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195373952719

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2023, 07:05:41 AM »
What happened to smilesdavis babblings?  :o

Anyways, Cubase dongles galore ahead.

Picture is from Steinberg's or so it seems.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:47:42 AM by foksadure »

Offline smilesdavis

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2023, 04:00:08 PM »
I no longer have this, but here are two photos of my old Steinberg Cubase Audio box and dongle.  Note they do not match up, as I received the dongle separately in another Ebay auction.

thats cubase audio for atari st*tt*falcon, we cant tell (the dongle), its missing the cover, i see no diskettes either. no u.r. card of the cubase score box and folder. its a mess, really.

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2023, 02:59:01 PM »
Quick post to confirm that the blue LPT: dongle does not allow to run either the 16bit version of Cubase, nor the VST3.5+.

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,191.msg11760.html#msg11760

And another one, about a peculiar red LPT: dongle that only allows to run VST3.7, and not any previous VST3.5 or 16bit version:

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,488.msg11828.html#msg11828
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 06:14:31 AM by foksadure »

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2023, 08:23:53 AM »
when i first laid eyes on my friends studio in 1997 he had that darla card im pretty sure, and that exact version of cubase with the green dongle, we worked together on some house tracks, i did the drums on cubase matrix editor and he was playing on his juno 60. fun times.

ive got a few gina cards, but havent seen that darla card in a very long time
perhaps it can work in a hackintosh running osx with the 3rd party osx driver i wrote about on the gina post http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=368.0

Offline smilesdavis

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2023, 01:09:07 PM »
I got the darla echo works perfect with
Cubase Audio XT and 3.7 and i found os 9 drivers for it