Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: yamaha tx7 (1985)  (Read 4793 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
yamaha tx7 (1985)
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tx7.php

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/tx7-to-the-limit/1411

Like many synthesists, I longed for FM sounds but couldn't afford a DX7, and so when the Yamaha TX7 Expander - the electronics without the keyboard - was marketed at around half the price of a DX7, I saw a way to acquire these sounds.

Fortunately my bank manager was reasonably understanding and I was able to add this unit to my Siel DK80 synth. The factory sounds were every bit as good as I had expected and using the MIDI connection all the voices except the four or five which needed special control (eg. breath) played perfectly.

Although satisfied with the unit, I soon realised that without a DX7 I was only using around half of the TX's potential, as voices were alterable by the DX7 and voice banks could be stored. However, I reasoned that I should be able to have a choice of voice banks and be able to modify or create new voices without a DX7. Yamaha said it couldn't be done, but I wasn't so sure!

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: yamaha tx7 (1985)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:34:10 AM »