Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Sound Blaster Pro (1991) CT1330A [FM] OPL2  (Read 4367 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Sound Blaster Pro (1991) CT1330A [FM] OPL2
« on: December 22, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »

Offline Cube

• View Profile
Re: Sound Blaster Pro (1991) CT1330A [FM] OPL2
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »
The Sound Blaster PRO was the first PC-based sound card that I owned. Coming from the world of the Commodore 64 and its' SID synthesizer, I remember being fascinated with the digital sounds that the SBPRO could produce. I spent hours on end recording audio from cassette tapes and even records onto the computer in their native .VOC (Voice) format... Applying effects, changing pitch, reversing the audio - it was also that sound card that first introduced me to Dr. Sbaitso (perhaps spelled incorrectly) which was a text-to-speech synthesizer that came bundled with a number of other applications Creative Labs included to get users exposed to the many features of their product. I do recall that it could only record or play a single channel at 44.1khz or two 22.050khz channels at a time - all in 8-bit resolution. If memory serves, it could not do any 16-bit audio. I still have a full length dance mix CD I created using that card - recorded onto and mixed track-into-track with a 486-DX2/66 with 32 MB of Ram and a couple of hard drives amounting to no more than a gigabyte. Perusing this forum it is interesting to me to consider how much (we) did with comparatively so little. Considering that computer took over 30 minutes to decompress a 4-minute MP3, the feats that were undertaken on it do cause one to pause, reflect and appreciate what was accomplished in spite of the relatively primitive processing power it did have. You do what you can with what you have...

- Cube

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: Sound Blaster Pro (1991) CT1330A [FM] OPL2
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
hi Cube; thanks for sharing.
I also have fond memories of Dr.SBAITSO! i was about 10 years old at the time with an endless curiousity + obssession with DOS. I remember reading the DOS manual cover to cover + practically memorizing every single possible command. pretty sure i was using something less than a 386/486 at the time, its easy to forget that in 1990, those were the mega-computers with 3000$ price tags. We were still using 8086, or 286 with ms dos 3.x and windows 3.0