Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: MOTU Performer 5.5 (Sept 1996)  (Read 6091 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
MOTU Performer 5.5 (Sept 1996)
« on: December 29, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »

http://web.archive.org/web/19970113172831/http://motu.com/pages/Perf.5.5.html
http://web.archive.org/web/19961018010502/http://motu.com/pages/Performer.html

ram requirements
68k os7.1 : 8mb ram
68k os7.5 : 12mb ram
ppc os7.5 : 16mb ram

Performer 5.5 requires a 68030, 68040 (Quadra), or Power Macintosh.
8 meg. of RAM is required with System 7.1,
and 12 meg. of RAM is required with System 7.5 on a 680x0 Macintosh.
A minimum of 16 MB RAM is required with a Power Macintosh.

Now Shipping! Performer 5.5 More Power!

Performer is now 100% accelerated for Power Macintosh and optimized for overall performance on both PowerPC and 680x0 machines.
New features include: Native Power PC, new Tracks Overview, new Notation Transcription, Multiple Takes, Non-Destructive Output Processing, MIDI Arpeggiator/Harmonizer/Echo, Mixing Board, Multiple Mixdowns, MIDI Scrubbing, Smart Selection (tm), Global Selection, Built-in QuickTime Movie window, and Built-in QuickTime Musical Instruments.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MOTU Performer 5.5 (Sept 1996)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »
September 5, 1996

Dear Performer 5.5 user:

Thank you for purchasing Performer 5.5!

Here is some important late-breaking news about this upgrade that didn't make it into the manuals:

• Version 5.5's new Echo and Arpeggiator MIDI effects processors are fully implemented. You can learn about them in more detail than provided in the manual by reading the Echo/Arpeggiator Read Me file in the Performer 5.5 Folder on your hard disk. Check 'em out! They are very cool.

• Performer 5.5 automatically handles all of the MIDI Machine Control window setup chores for Mark of the Unicorn's new MIDI Timepiece AV interface. If you have an MTP AV in your FreeMIDI setup, the MTP AV will automatically show up in Performer's MMC window. In addition, Performer automatically and continually scans the MTP AV for the presence of an ADAT, ADAT XT, or Fostex RD-8 connected to the MTP AV's ADAT Sync Out port. If Performer detects one, a row of eight record-enable buttons will automatically appear in the MTP AV panel in the MMC window. These record buttons give you remote control, as usual, of the record-enable functions of the ADAT. If Performer detects more than one ADAT, it will add another row of 8 buttons for each additional ADAT that it detects. Performer continually scans for ADATs, so if you disconnect one, Performer will adjust the buttons shown in the MMC window after a moment or so.

• Region menu windows, such as Transpose and Quantize, now have a mini-menu. The mini-menu has several items in it that let you decide what happens when you click the Apply button, press the return key, or press enter. The three new mini-menu commands are as follows:

Apply closes window: clicking the Apply button (or pressing the return or enter keys) applies the settings in the window to the currently selected data and then closes the window.

Apply sends window to the back: clicking the Apply button (or pressing the return or enter keys) applies the settings in the window to the currently selected data, leaves the window open, and then pushes the window behind all other windows.

Apply with Enter key sends window to back: clicking the Apply button (or pressing the return key) applies the settings in the window to the currently selected data and leaves the window active and open. Pressing the enter key leaves the window open but pushes it back behind all other windows.

In general, pressing the return key will always do the same thing as clicking the Apply button. Pressing the enter key will do the same as clicking, except for the third option discussed above.

• For you 5.0 users, the "Consolidated Controls" window has been renamed the "Control Panel" in Version 5.5.

• In version 5.5, when you click a marker in the Tracks overview time ruler, the entire region between that marker and the next one becomes selected in all tracks — except the Conductor track. To include the Conductor track, just shift-click on its name in the track list after clicking on the marker.

• To simplify things, the Auto-Punch In/Out command in the mini-menu of Custom Consoles has been removed. Instead, custom consoles behave as if this mode is always turned on, similar to the Mixing Board.

• Linked files no longer need to be in the same folder as the Performer application.

• You can now use command-right arrow and command-left arrow in the Tracks Overview, Graphic Editing, and Notation Editing windows to zoom out and in.

• You can now use command-arrow up/down in the Graphic Editing window to zoom the Pitch Ruler in/out.

• In the new sequence pop-up menu above the Tracks list, the "New sequence" command creates a new, empty sequence with the same track layout as the current sequence.

• There is a new, more consistent scheme in Version 5.5 for the clicking shortcuts that open edit windows in the Tracks window. Here are the new shortcuts: double-clicking opens whatever edit window you’ve chosen in the Preferences command (the Event List by default); command double-clicking always opens the Graphic Editing window; control double-clicking always opens the QuickScribe Notation window; control-option double-clicking always opens the Notation Editing window; option double-clicking in the Tracks overview always opens the Event List, but since doing so on a track name pop-edits the name, you can use command-option double-click on track names to always open the Event List.

• You can now change the Tempo during Countoff.

• The escape key now cancels pop-up editing of events in the event list, markers, and chunks windows (as does typing command-period).

• You can now type in a negative SMPTE and real time in the main counter.

We hope you enjoy using Performer 5.5! As always, we welcome your comments and suggestions.

Sincerely,

The Performer Development Team

------------------------------

Mark of the Unicorn, Inc.
1280 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138
Business voice: (617) 576-2760
Business fax: (617) 576-3609
Technical support: (617) 576-3066
Tech support fax: (617) 354-3068
Tech support email: techsupport@motu.com
World Wide Web site: http://www.motu.com
AOL (America Online): keyword MOTU
AOL tech support: MotUTec@aol.com
Compuserve: 71333,3666 or go motusupport

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
this would mean obviously that for best results you would want to run this software on a 68k powered macintosh (a mac from 1994 or earlier!!!)
http://web.archive.org/web/19961018010452/http://motu.com:80/pages/PerfFAQs.html
http://web.archive.org/web/19970113174702/http://motu.com:80/pages/PerfFAQs.html

Performer FAQs (from 1996)
Q. Will the latest Performer 5 run on a Power Mac? Do you have a native Power PC version pending?
A. Performer 5 will operate on a Power Mac under emulation mode. We are working on native support. We do not yet have a release date.

Q. I can no longer see a record-enable column in my Tracks Window.
A. Check and make sure that your Sequence Chunk is play-enabled in the Chunks window. Double-click the sequence name after play-enabling the sequence in the Chunks window. Also, check the Column Setup window (mini-menu of the Tracks window). Make sure the option for record-enable is selected.

Q. My numeric keypad no longer triggers transport control functions.
A. Make sure the Caps Lock key is not depressed.

Q. I cannot play or record lower octave notes from my master.
A. Remote master has probably been accidently enabled. Toggle Remote Master status off in the Remote Controls window.

Q. I'm sending MIDI data to Performer, but it's not recording the data.
A. Check the Input Filter (Basics menu). Be sure the data type that you wish to record is selected in the Input Filter.

Q. I cannot see MIDI data in my Performer Tracks.
A. Check the View Filter (Track window mini-menu). Be sure the data type you wish to view is selected.

Q. I cannot Erase MIDI data in my Performer Track.
A. Check the Edit Filter (Edit menu). MIDI data that you wish to edit must be selected in this window.

Q. Is is safe to optimize or defragment my hard drive while Performer is authorized on my drive?
A. We recommend de-authorizing your drive before running any disk optimizer or degragmenting utilities. You do not need to fully remove the application.

Q. I can't print. I receive a "port in use" error.
A. This may occur if something is "blocking" the serial port. You may want to temporarily disable fax/modem software. Additionally, if you use FreeMIDI, make sure that the port you are printing to is not enabled as a MIDI port in FreeMIDI's preferences.

Q. Why isn't Performer remembering the patch settings in my file?
A. If you wish to save a patch with the file, be sure to select the patch in the Default Patch column of the Tracks Window. Selecting the patch from the Patch column will temporarily change the patch, however, it will not save it as a default patch when you save the file.

Q. Why can't I see the record-enable column in the Track Window? I have it checked in Columns Setup.
A. This will typically happen if the Track Window you are viewing is not the play-enabled sequence in the Chunks window. Play-enable the chunk, and double-click the chunk name in the Chunks window to bring the Chunk's Track window forward.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:51:20 AM by chrisNova777 »