Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: 48 track pc by Robert Keller -DOS2.0+ Sequencer *DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE* 286/386/486  (Read 6559 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:03:37 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: the 48 track pc by Robert Keller - Sequencer from the 80s
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 01:51:08 PM »
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.makers.synth/hWFZJZOk3Ug
https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-keller-1182b76
robert keller can be reached at rkeller4@gmail.com

After some searching + digging i finally located Robert Keller!
i hope he doesnt mind me pasting his message to me here, publicly!
below is his response to me:

Hey Chris, you indeed found me. I just took a quick look at your website - very nice.

You might also be interested in the 64 track PC (16 more tracks!) which I released a little later in the 80's. (Incidentally, I did a web search recently and found a studio in London and one in South Africa that advertise the 64 track as their top-of-the-line software.)

If you want a little history, I started writing the software when the MIDI spec was first released. I think I was the first to use the Roland interface in "native" mode, i.e., direct to the Roland hardware. I wrote the software in a little over two years of programming every waking moment for 7 days a week. I chose Borland Turbo Pascal instead of the dominant C language because C was a laggard. I also eventually replaced all DOS functionality with my own machine language when the software was running - screen driver, keyboard driver, mouse, drive access - because DOS just wasn't as tidy or quick as it could be.

The software's been used on a bunch of movies - probably "Spaceballs" is the most prominent. Jay Logan, awesome producer, recorded a #1 music hit using it.

I was visiting Borland when the first version of Windows was released. I remember the anguished looks on the faces of the Borland software engineers - they said they thought Windows was a tremendous roadblock for productive software. And then Borland basically went out of business.

I thought it was useless to port the software to Windows, so I went to work for Microsoft instead. At one point I tracked down the engineer who was in charge of "preemptive multitasking". I pointed out that preemptive multitasking was terrible for intensive applications like music software. "You've created a huge problem," I said. "No we haven't" was his reply.

I'll see what I can get for you.

Best Regards,
Robert

hopefully he might be able to set me up with a working version of his DOS app!

Offline xenmaster0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:13:40 PM »
Robert Keller is a really cool guy. I remember phoning him to ask about an issue with The 64 Track PC and he answered the phone personally. You had to give your serial number, of course.

I have both the 48 Track PC and The 64 Track PC. They're different programs. The 48 Track PC, aside from having fewer tracks, lacked the graphical editing features of The 64 Track PC and also talked only to MPU-401 compatible MIDI interfaces, whereas The 64 Track PC could talk to a variety of different MIDI cards -- including ones that had up to 64 channels. I used a 64-channel interface with it and it worked beautifully.

Don't think Robert Keller would object too much if I sent you those DOS programs, but you might want to ask him. I'm not on Facebook, so can't PM you, but I can upload 'em to a file locker in the cloud if you want.  Would like to get Robert Keller's permission first, though.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
i think i did speak with him and he offered to send them to me, but he asked me for my mailing address as he has them on floppy drive and has no way to access the files? maybe his old computer died?

let me check my email for his email address
yes i just checked my email + i was in contact with him last year or the year before
i will pm you his email address for you to email him personally ok?

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
download has been found! + updated above; hopefully the files can be extracted; file was created as a zip archive with 7zip on windows 10 64bit; i just hope they will work to extract on 32bit windows.. or 16bit windows.. errr 16-bit DOS rather?? lol

thanks to Robert Keller for giving the go ahead!
cant wait to check this out and give it a demo on my 386 + 486