Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Connections between an Atari Mega ST4 and a Hybrid Arts SCSI drive enclosure  (Read 703 times)

Offline Noise

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Hi there!

I've been working with vintage computers to produce music for a while, but I'm relatively new to the Atari world. I've found myself with an Atari Mega ST4 and a Sound Tools system, including a Hybrid Arts HDX enclosure for SCSI drives.
The problem is that (and this question could be kinda dumb for some experienced Atari users) I don't know how to make the connections properly (I searched for some concrete info without, hence this post).

The HDX enclosure has 2 DMA ports and 2 SCSI ports as well. The SCSI in port remains unused meanwhile the SCSI out has a terminator plugged in. I understand that the connections between the Atari and the SCSI enclosure should be made through the 19-pin DMA ports, I received the whole system along with 2 19-pin cables, I could use one to make a connection between one DMA port (not sure wether IN or OUT) and the Atari's "hard disk" port, but, does this mean that only one DMA port should be used? Is the other cable not necessary? Or some kind of daisychain connection should be made?

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Offline Noise

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Ok, I see that plugging just one cable to the DMA IN port was enough, not showing the drive icon on the desktop but at least Sound Designer detects it.

Offline OGF

• View Profile
Hey Noise,

as much as i love tinkering with old hard- and software, i pretty much stopped using HDD's and Floppies.
Both my Atari SCSI harddisks failed a while ago. MEGA STE -> dead HDD, MegaFile60 -> dead HDD.

So switching to something reliable for data storage is no shame and saves so much time and headache.
I personally use a FloppyEmulator and a UltraSatan and never looked back.

Google for sth like: Ultrasatan, Satandisk, ACSI2STM, Gothek, ... there are a few solutions.
Or watch this:

Back to topic: An Atari ST normally needs a HDD driver to load at boot, so that could be your problem with not showing the icon in GEM.
Dumping that to a floppy should work:
http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-st-atari-hard-disk-driver-ahdi_37781.html

Note that PC's can natively read and write Atari ST floppies.

Good luck :-)