this site exists for reference purposes for all those interested in learning about the original hardware + software from the late 1980s + early 1990s thanks for visiting
Who | MIDI hardware | Software | TIMELINE | PCI | ISA | ATARI ST | DOS/PC | WIN/PC | MAC | Drums | Synths | Modules |Sequencers | Samplers | Tape Rec | Mix Consoles |
Artists | Recent | VST | ios inst | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai "S" | Roland "MC" | MPCs | Roland "S" | Drum Machines | Roland JV Addons | early 90s Synths | late 80s synths
guests are encouraged to: REGISTER for permission to  view file attachments + add relevant videos, downloads, resources. (credit your SOURCE!).
to post a youtube video simply paste the url! the embed will be automatically added

Author Topic: what is project 5?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
what is project 5?
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:50:22 AM »
http://tweakheadz.com/review-of-project5/
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cakewalk-project-5-v2

Project5 Soft Synth Workstation

Imagine a complete software synthesizer workstation that places no limits on your music. A flexible, expandable studio environment that engages your creativity, inspiring new musical ideas through its seamless integration of instruments and tools.

It's time to experience Project5.

Project5 is a complete studio environment for electronic musicians, providing everything they need to experiment, create, and perform music using integrated sequencers, software synths, samplers, audio and MIDI effects, and audio looping tools — all in one workstation. In addition Project5 provides advanced capabilities for synth layering, real-time pattern genesis and triggering, and a seamless live-performance audio engine.

And Project5 doesn't put a limit on your creativity. It lets you customize and expand your studio with additional plug-ins, and it supports any Windows-compatible audio hardware.

Key features

Studio-quality instruments and effects
Pattern-based sequencers and processors
ACID™-compatible audio looping tools
Real-time, live-performance features
Open environment (ASIO, DX, DXi, MFX, ReWire client, WDM, VST, VSTi)
Click on the links in the left navigation bar to find out more about the features of Project5, or click next for a complete overview.

Offline Project5er

• Older Code, Cleaner Code
Re: what is project 5?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 01:02:25 PM »
Project5 - Best MIDI workflow EVER...Even today. One of the best DAWS ever. Still excellent plugin scanning compared to present day DAWS & DX DXi support as well. Ability to use MIDI plugins (MFX). Stable as a rock & fairly tight coded. If Cakewalk would'a kept it active it would be the best DAW today. I was hoping Studio One would be a fair replacement...not so! Instability & poor plugin scanning make it a dog. MuLab is kinda close but with crappier coding & less overall features for sure. I'll just stick with PROJECT5!!!

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »
ive never tried project 5 yet.. i dont even think i have a copy of the installer!
im trying to find it now

http://web.archive.org/web/20030523204758/http://cakewalk.com/

i think i found the v2 demo here:
http://download.cnet.com/Cakewalk-Project5/3000-2170_4-10461510.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:24:09 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline iRelevant

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the link. Got to satisfy my curiosity what this Project 5 was all about :)

Offline rasputin

• new to the site
    • Crow Caw Music Works
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »
If anyone is even more curious, I have the original version 1 User Guide and version 2 "Fast Track Guide". Somewhere I may even have the software media but for some reason at the moment I can't spot it. If you want those manuals I'll send them anywhere for postage charges...just send me a message
Cheers
Tim S.
tim p scott
making music with computers since before there were computers! (well, kind of: actually more like 1994-1995 or so)

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:05:33 AM »
is it like cakewalks version of Reason?
i still have never seen it - it didnt really make the big leagues? or did it?

someone go ahead and file attach the installer?
cakewalk is dead, long live cakewalk

Offline rasputin

• new to the site
    • Crow Caw Music Works
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 02:03:50 PM »
Well, that was the idea, that it would compete with Reason. As you know, Reason was not intended initially to allow audio recording or manipulation of your own audio files (without a baroque hack of importing an audio file into a sampler). Since this was about the time I made the switch to Windows, it was nice to have the option. It really wasn't too bad, seemed very stable and efficient. Version 2 was a big advance (I think they added VSTi support at that version, which of course would be huge), but at about that time Live started getting a buzz; and once I tried it I realized that its workflow was for me. Project 5 never got a version 3, maybe it was a combination of Live and Reason that killed it off.
Once Cakewalk died, I decided to retire all my old Cakewalk media and for the life of me I can't unearth it.
Once I do I'll certainly be glad to make it available to anyone, and I'll sell my licenses for $1.
Meanwhile there appear to be demos that can be downloaded (I haven't looked that hard) but definitely look at version 2 is you can, it's a lot better than v1.
tim p scott
making music with computers since before there were computers! (well, kind of: actually more like 1994-1995 or so)

Offline rasputin

• new to the site
    • Crow Caw Music Works
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »
OK, I found the Project 5 media. The install disc for version 2 is a 3 GB DVD-ROM. Sort of big to upload. There's also the 2.5 update which is 250 MB (and a 2.5.1 patch on the same CD-ROM)

Let me know if you want these things and I'll be glad to send it to you for shipping costs.
tim p scott

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 01:51:12 AM »
im not so much personally interested in it.. i was more interested in making it available online for others.. i use mediafire.com - theres many different filesharing services that can host a 3gb file

Offline rasputin

• new to the site
    • Crow Caw Music Works
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 10:00:50 AM »
Thanks Chris. I'll probably just check back here periodically and if someone expresses and interest they can get in touch with me.

I have a lot of old Opcode stuff too, but so far it looks like nothing unique. Again, I'm finally willing to part with the printed manuals if anyone wants them. Yeah, I know everything is electronic now but I'm really old school! I even paid Ableton some crazy amount like $40 for a printed version of a Live 9 manual -- (which of course as I realize is obsolete even as it comes off the "press")

tim p scott

Offline RaoulGonzo

• new to the site
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 06:18:53 PM »
Thanks Chris. I'll probably just check back here periodically and if someone expresses and interest they can get in touch with me.

I have a lot of old Opcode stuff too, but so far it looks like nothing unique. Again, I'm finally willing to part with the printed manuals if anyone wants them. Yeah, I know everything is electronic now but I'm really old school! I even paid Ableton some crazy amount like $40 for a printed version of a Live 9 manual -- (which of course as I realize is obsolete even as it comes off the "press")

I'd definitely be interested in a Project5 disc if the offer still stands!

Offline rasputin

• new to the site
    • Crow Caw Music Works
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 10:30:53 AM »
I'm sorry I didn't respond before, but someone else did get hold of me and I sent it to him. I'm sure another one will turn up.
There are probably lots of them sitting in drawers around the world because people don't know of this site!
Opcode hardware and software do show up on ebay now and then too.
tim p scott