Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: using multiple atari's for MIDI generation aswell as recording  (Read 2996 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
using multiple atari's for MIDI generation aswell as recording
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
http://atari-music.fddvoron.name/2syst.htm

Using TWO Atari Computers

I find it a great advantage to use two Systems at the same time to run different applications. For example, I would run "M" ( http://tamw.atari-users.net/m.htm ) on my Mega Ste, and at the same time I would run Cubase on the TT030, recording whatever I do in 'M" into Cubase.

Hooking up
Take the midi IN of System A to the midi OUT of System B. Take the midi OUT of your master keyboard to the midi IN of system B. The midi OUT of System A will then be routed to the midi IN and THRU's of your synth modules.The only thing with this system is that you have to have a program with a soft Thru function turned on at system B in order to record from the keyboard on system A. This does not present a problem because most programs offer this function.

Applications
Running a program on system B and recording the results into system A. Then refining those results more in system A. For example, there are a lot of demo vesions of midi applications on the net. On these, most of the save functions are out, or limited, or some do not write to a midi file standard, as with other midi applications. Simply record whatever you do in system B to a Sequencer program in system A, then tweak it some more using the sequencer program by adding more tracks, quantizing, etc.