Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Midiman Winman 4x4/S ISA Midi Interface (1996) Win3.1/95/98/ME/NT  (Read 7294 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Windows 3.1/3.11 & NT 3.51/4.0 Drivers Now Posted!!
(possibly this may be the only download location for these files which i retreived from a 1.44mb floppy)
click to download winman 4x4/s windows 3.1/3.11 driver
click to download winman 4x4/s windows nt 3.51/4.0 driver
info re: using winman with win2k or xp
*** its not advisable to purchased or acquire this  card for use with XP; probably a better idea to find a different interface with proper driver + patchbay support in windows XP as theres no official windows xp driver

https://web.archive.org/web/20010706142933/http://www.midiman.net:80/midiman/html/faqs/winman.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20030628111218/http://www.midiman.net/support/installinst/winman4x4.htm

Midiman Winman 4x4/S (ISA Midi Interface - 1996)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/aug97/pcmidiinterfaces.html

Internal PC Card
-16 bit ISA Slot
-CAn be assigned to any of 10 IRQs and 32 addresses
-Fully Windows MME Compatible
-Works with Windows 3.1, 3.11 & Windows 95

4 IN / 4 OUT MIDI INTERFACE
-works with all MIDI sequencers, editors, librarians, and games that support the "Windows Multimedia" standard
-four completel independant MIDI outs and ins giving 64 channels of midi at full bandwidth
-with so many indepednant MIDI ins and outs, the 4x4/s funcitons as an internal PC MIDI patchbay

SMPTE TIME CODE WRITER/READER
-can read and write 24,25,30 drop or 30 non-drop frame LTC SMPTE Formats
-Any SMPTE time write offset can be set using the included winman 4x4/s software

Windows 3.1 / 3.11 / 95 / 98 / NT compatible

originally priced at £219 in the UK

diag.exe is used to diagnose + test the winman4x4s .. use this to test the base address + irq settings and perform loopback test
u will need a midi cable to connect IN 1 -> OUT 1 to perform the test (this is missing from the winman31.zip)

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Midiman Winman 4x4/S ISA Midi Interface (1996) Win3.1/95/98/ME/NT
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »
windows ME driver

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Midiman Winman 4x4/S win2000 installation with nt4.0 driver
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »
installing on windows 2000:

Q.Will my Winman 4x4 /s card work in Windows 2000 Professional?

R.The Winman NT drivers will work with Windows 2000. The current features for our NT drivers differ slightly from those of our Win 95/98 drivers, so you might want to consider this before making a change. Listed below are the two install variations that you will run into.

Winman 4X4/S W2K Installation From NT 4.0

Use NT drivers
1. Configure hardware jumpers (IRQ & base address) and install card into computer.
2. Boot up computer
3. Goto START/SETTING/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM under the device manager click on DRIVER SIGNATURE
4. Select IGNORE
5. Click NEXT
6. Click on HARDWARE WIZARD (START/SETTING/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM)
7. Click NEXT
8. Select ADD/TROUBLESHOOT
9. Windows will search for PnP devices.
10. Select NOT ON LIST
11. Select NO, I WILL CHOOSE FROM A LIST
12. Select UNLISTED OR UNDATED DRIVER
13. Select SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS
14. Select HAVE DISK
15. You will be prompted for disk drive where the WINMAN 4X4/S driver diskette is located, enter disk specification and click OK
16. When the ADD UNLISTED OR UPDATED DRIVER window pops up select WINMAN 4x4/S MIDI INTERFACE CARD entry and click
OK
17. Set the appropraite port address and interrupt in the set up dialog box and click OK
18. In order for the driver installition to be completed you will be required to exit and restart windows.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 06:04:24 PM »
https://web.archive.org/web/20010706142933/http://www.midiman.net:80/midiman/html/faqs/winman.htm
WINMAN SERIES

Q1. I’m getting MIDI output, but no MIDI input. What’s up with that?
R. This is typical of an IRQ conflict. The best way to resolve this is to check the Computer Properties list in the Device Manager, see what IRQ is available, change the Winman driver setting to the new IRQ number, then power down and change it on the card.

Go to Control Panel|System|Device Manager. Highlight "Computer" at the top of the list (its highlighted when you first open the Device Manager), then click the Properties button on the bottom left. This will give you a list of IRQs and their associated devices. If the number doesn’t show up in the list, then the IRQ is available.

To get to the Winman driver settings, go to Control Panel|Multimedia|Device (in Win98) or Advanced (in Win95). Open the MIDI Devices and Instruments list. Highlight one of the Winman outputs, click properties, then click "Settings" in the middle of the properties box. This will give you the current driver settings, and allow you to change it to the new one.

Q2. I installed a Plug and Play device, and it loaded on to the IRQ that my Winman is set to.
R. The Winman is an ISA card whose resources are set by jumpers, also known as "Legacy ISA." Reserving the IRQ for a Legacy ISA device is best done in the BIOS. This will prevent a PnP device from loading on top of the Winman.

The BIOS is also referred to as System Setup or CMOS Setup. On desktops, one would access the BIOS while the system is booting up. Very often there is a message on the screen during the DOS part of bootup telling you to "Press DEL to enter System Setup," or to press one of the function keys or some combination of keys. If you don’t see this, check your computer’s user guide for instructions.

Once you’re in System Setup, look for a section entitled "PnP PCI Configuration," or "Resource Configuration." BIOS can vary quite a bit from computer to computer, so this is just a general guide. If you find yourself particularly lost, you may need to seek help from your computer manufacturer, or contact us. Find the IRQ that you are using, and set it to say "Legacy ISA." Save those settings and exit, and your system will boot back into Windows.

Q3. My Address and IRQ settings seem fine, but nothing shows up at that address when I look at the Computer Properties Input/Output list from the Device Manager. I’m not getting an error message, but the Winman isn’t working.
R. On some faster computers adjustments can be made in the BIOS that affect performance of the ISA buss. One might try reserving the IRQ for a legacy device as mentioned above. Also, the 16 bit recovery time could be shortened. This option is usually found in the "Chipset Features" page. The "BIOS Features" page may offer an ISA buss speed. A little experimentation with this setting may be necessary.

WINMAN 4X4/S

Q.Will my Winman 4x4 /s card work in Windows 2000 Professional?

R.The Winman NT drivers will work with Windows 2000. The current features for our NT drivers differ slightly from those of our Win 95/98 drivers, so you might want to consider this before making a change. Listed below are the two install variations that you will run into.

Winman 4X4/S W2K Installation From Win 95/98

1. Download NT drivers from www.midiman.net and unzip drivers to a floppy disk.
2. Configure hardware jumpers (IRQ & base address) and install card into computer.
3. Boot up computer
4. Goto START/SETTING/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM under the device manager click on DRIVER SIGNATURE
5. Select IGNORE
6. Click NEXT
7. Click on HARDWARE WIZARD (START/SETTING/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM)
8. Click NEXT
9. Select ADD/TROUBLESHOOT
10. Windows will search for PnP devices.
11. Select NOT ON LIST
12. Select NO, I WILL CHOOSE FROM A LIST
13. Select UNLISTED OR UNDATED DRIVER
14. Select SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS
15. Select HAVE DISK
16. You will be prompted for disk drive where the WINMAN 4X4/S driver diskette is located, enter disk specification and click OK
17. When the ADD UNLISTED OR UPDATED DRIVER window pops up select WINMAN 4x4/S MIDI INTERFACE CARD entry and click OK
18. Set the appropraite port address and interrupt in the set up dialog box and click OK
19. In order for the driver installition to be completed you will be required to exit and restart windows.

The other NT to Windows 2000 scenario goes as follows:

Winman 4X4/S W2K Installation From NT 4.0

Use NT drivers
1. Configure hardware jumpers (IRQ & base address) and install card into computer.
2. Boot up computer
3. Goto START/SETTING/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM under the device manager click on DRIVER SIGNATURE
4. Select IGNORE
5. Click NEXT
6. Click on HARDWARE WIZARD (START/SETTING/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM)
7. Click NEXT
8. Select ADD/TROUBLESHOOT
9. Windows will search for PnP devices.
10. Select NOT ON LIST
11. Select NO, I WILL CHOOSE FROM A LIST
12. Select UNLISTED OR UNDATED DRIVER
13. Select SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS
14. Select HAVE DISK
15. You will be prompted for disk drive where the WINMAN 4X4/S driver diskette is located, enter disk specification and click OK
16. When the ADD UNLISTED OR UPDATED DRIVER window pops up select WINMAN 4x4/S MIDI INTERFACE CARD entry and click OK
17. Set the appropraite port address and interrupt in the set up dialog box and click OK
18. In order for the driver installition to be completed you will be required to exit and restart windows.

Q1. I’ve upgraded from Windows 3.1, and my patchbay feature doesn’t work.

R. Music application software in Windows 95 and 98 has become very powerful. We’ve found that the new programs want to control all of the routing and MIDI mapping. Therefore, we’ve discontinued the partchbay applet in Windows 95, 98, and NT.

Q2. I’m installing the driver software in Win95/98, and the driver settings that appear do not match the ones on the card. What do I do now?

R. As stated in the manual, choose not to restart the computer when completing the driver installation procedure. Go to Control Panel|System|Device Manager, and open up the Sound, video & game controllers list. Locate the Winman 4x4 in the list. Highlight it, click Properties, then click the Resources tab. Highlight the Interrupt Request and click change settings. Choose the IRQ that matches the card, then click OK. Do the sam with the Input/Output range (Input/Output I/O is the same as the Address).

Q3. I’m installing the 4x4 in Windows NT. I’m getting an error message that says that my hardware settings don’t match the driver software settings, but in fact they do. What’s wrong?

R. We’ve seen this happen in NT, and we’ve found it necessary to go into the BIOS (System Setup), and change the IRQ to a "Legacy ISA" setting. This is probably a good idea with a legacy card such as the Winman in any operating system.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 05:04:49 AM »
just found this page on the midiman website (archived) it says that there might be need of chip swap on the card to support faster processors! this might explain why i ran into problems with this card when i had it installed on a Pentium III system that was higher up in speed (1ghz+)

http://web.archive.org/web/20030707061838/http://www.midiman.net/support/how_to/winman/index.php

Winman 4x4 Chip Upgrade

If you are having problems with the WINMAN 4x4/S in your computer you might need to upgrade some of the chips on the WINMAN 4x4/S ISA card.  There have been various revisions to the WINMAN 4x4/S over the years and three chips on the board have been replaced most recently.  Depending on the age of your WINMAN 4x4/S card, the replacement of 1 to 3 chips may be required. Depending on the manufacturer of these chips there may be a few extra letters preceding or following these chip designation.  For instance, the 74F32 chip may read 74F32PC or HD74F32.

Undesirable chips that might currently reside in your card, which should be replaced if the card fails to work properly in your computer are:

U2 = 74HC32
U3 = 74HC139 or 74F139
U5 = 74HC08

If you find any of these chips installed in your WINMAN 4x4/S card and if the card fails to work properly in your computer, you should replace them with the following chips:

U2 = 74F32
U3 = 74HCT139
U5 = 74F08

How To Replace Chips

1.     Choose a work surface on which to lay the WINMAN card. If you have an anti-static surface or mat available please use that as your work surface in order to reduce the potential of static electricity.

2.     Ground yourself to the work surface before handling the card.  By “grounding yourself” you will dissipate any static electricity from your body that might damage the WINMAN card or its chips.  In order to ground yourself, touch the work surface then set the card on that surface.  Note that “grounding wrist straps” (readily available from electronics stores like Radio Shack) may be used to tie your wrist to the work surface and constantly dissipate static electricity to that surface as you work.

3.     NOTE THE ORIENTATION OF THE CHIP TO BE REMOVED, specifically if the text on the chip looks upside down or right side up.  You need to remember this orientation when you insert the new chip.

4.     Using a chip puller tool (recommended) or a flat head screwdriver, carefully pry the chip out of its socket.  It is best to pry the chip up from one end only slightly, and then pry up the other end only slightly, going back-and-forth end-to-end until the chip is freely removed.

5.     Carefully place the new chip above the empty socket, lining up the pins with the socket. You might have to apply slight sideward pressure to get all of the pins to line up with the socket.  MAKE SURE THE CHIP’S ORIENTATION MATCHES THAT OF THE PREVIOUSLY REMOVED CHIP.  Failure to do so may damage the chip, card, and/or computer.

6.     Once aligned, gently push down on the chip with a slight end-to-end rocking motion. CHECK TO SEE THAT EACH PIN IS INDEED GOING IN PROPERLY.  Continue to work the chip into the socket until it is firmly seated.

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 01:51:23 PM »
Indeed.
Back in thee days, support @Midiman sent me the replacement chips (gates) for free, to solve a corrupted SysEx dumps problem I had using the 4x4/S in an old PIII-1000/440BX PC that's still around.
The 2x2 was rock solid AFAIK.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 06:48:01 PM »
My system was also a 440bx with piii