Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: DAT - digital audio tape - a look back  (Read 2649 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
DAT - digital audio tape - a look back
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

A look at DAT - tape that sounded better than CD and was supposed to replace cassettes...however the recording industry decided it had to die.
FAQs & Updates are below

CORRECTIONS
Long Play Mode is 32kHz (added as an annotation before the video went live)
WARNING
This video may contain the occasional redundant turn of phrase...e.g. "DAT Tape" if this is of concern, please do not press play.

FAQs
Q) Are you going to do a video about Minidisc?
A) Yes - (see 21:22)
Q) When
A) I don't know

Q) Hey why didn't you go into detail about the computer backup tape drives that used DAT?
A) Because this was a video about DAT...Digital Audio Tape. You're thinking of DDS Digital Data Storage. I won't be making a video about DDS, so if it's something you know a lot about, and you think there would be an audience for a video on DDS, you should cover it.

Q) Did you know that you can record off a radio using a computer?
A) I'd guess that everyone knows this...I was only pointing out that Modern HiFi systems rarely contain a separate recording component any more. You can always record anything if you put your mind to it.

Q) Hey LOL you said that we are using Napster...you're so out of date dude...etc
A) Here's what's going on - Remember Mr Angry in 1986 trying to stop DAT (pretty much what the first half of the video is about)...well when I say..."of course he wasn't to know that in 15 years or so we would be using file sharing programmes like Napster". The maths works like this 1986 + 15 years = 2002 (2017 is 31 years later...not 15).

PURCHASING
I bought my DAT Recorders from EBAY - here's a link https://goo.gl/x2k1jX