Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Installing a "Modern" System 7.5.5  (Read 3207 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Installing a "Modern" System 7.5.5
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
https://www.fenestrated.net/mac/755/

Installing a "Modern" System 7.5.5

Enhance TCP/IP Connectivity and use every 68k Application!

a short article by Tyler Sable, spam at fenestrated separated by dot from net.
Find me on the 68kMLA forums as TylerEss
Install 7.5.5 | Install OT 1.1.2 | Network via TCP/IP | TidBits | Install Java! | Summary and Links

One of the biggest problems with using an older Macintosh with a 68k processor is interoperability with more modern computers, over the internet. Other shortcomings, such as a small amount of RAM or slow processor speed, can be compensated for at a minimal cost at these machines' age. The world has moved beyond AppleTalk, however, and we will get along a lot better if we can use TCP/IP for file sharing and printing.

System 7.5.5 does not come configured to use TCP/IP for either printing OR AppleShare. This article will show how to remedy this shortcoming without running into the crashing, failure to install, and general badness I had to wade through.

The first time I tried to install a modern system 7.5.5 on my SE/30, I simply could not get it to work. It turns out that the problem was due to my failure to install the updates in the correct order. By installing the updates in the order I list below, you will arrive at a very functional and stable system.

I recommend this configuration for any 68k Mac with at least a 68030 processor and 16MB of RAM. 16MB seems like a lot, but with our old RAM being so cheap on eBay, 16MB is easy to get and very important for a computer you intend to use on a daily or weekly basis.

If you have a 68030 Mac with less than 16MB of RAM and no way to upgrade, there's still hope. Following this procedure but leaving out QuickTime 4 and MRJ leaves a System that will boot in just about exactly 4MB. This would leave 4MB for applications on an 8MB PowerBook.