Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: M-audio Delta 410 (Sep 2001)  (Read 6648 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
M-audio Delta 410 (Sep 2001)
« on: September 21, 2014, 05:42:02 AM »
basically the m-audio version of the GINA/20bit card, stereo S/PDIF i/o + 2 in + 8 out (4 in / 10 out hence "410")

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb02/articles/delta410.asp
http://www.m-audio.ca/images/global/manuals/Delta410_Manual.pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/20020804085147/http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/delta410.php
http://www.m-audio.jp/index.php?do=support&tab=driver
http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/delta-410-audio-card-comes-to-america
https://www.macworld.com/article/1020453/delta.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/224424-pinout-db25-delta-410-a.html

delta 410 has drivers for win95/98/98se/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7 and mac os 8.6-9.x,10.1-10.5.5
IF USING MULTIPLE CARDS ON MAC OS 8/9 SYNC YOU **MUST** USE THE "M-Audio Delta 3.1.0 (1011a).sit" DRIVER (attached)
be sure to remove all other drivers first before installing, use sherlock to find + delete all the old files, install + reboot and you should see combined input count (16,24,32 outputs)
you must also sync each card's clock via sp/dif cable!!!

4 in 10 out (2in/2out is digital SPDIF, leaving 2 in, 8 out as analog RCA outputs via a breakout cable)
easily combinable with other cards of the same type via the delta drivers to double, triple or quadruple your i/o
mix + match with other delta cards
for example if u had 4 of these cards, and enough pci slots, you could create a configuration of
4 x delta 410 = 8 analog inputs, 8 digital i/o, 32 analog outputs
on mac osx + 9 the limit is supposedly 3 cards (probably limited to 3 because of the number of pci
slots in the macs that were being made at the time of the drivers creation)
which would give you
3 x delta 410 =  6 analog inputs, 6 digital i/o, 24 analog outputs
not too shabby!
although the output of these cards isnt the most quiet by any means

it is possible to run pro tools m-powered on windows with this card
pretty sure that it does not work on mac

Product Features & Specifications:

4x10 24-bit/96khz full-duplex recording interface.
    PCI host card with external, color-coded breakout cable.
    2x8 analog I/O, unbalanced on gold-plated RCA connectors, with output line level adjustments selectable within the Delta Control Panel.
    S/PDIF digital I/O on gold-plated RCA connectors located on the PCI card. A variety of settings, including AC3 or DTS surround and SCMS copy protection schemes, can be set via the Delta Control Panel.
    High dynamic range (A-weighted measured): D/A 101.5 dB, A/D 99.6 dB.
    Low distortion (measured THD @ 0dBFS): A/D and D/A less than 0.002%.
    Frequency Response: 22-22kHz, -0.2,-0.4dB @48kHz; 22-40kHz, -0.2,-0.7dB @96kHz
    All data paths support up to 24bit/96kHz performance, no upgrades necessary.
    Comprehensive digital mixing, routing, and monitoring capabilities with included Delta Control Panel software.
    Hardware sample-accurate sync will allow linking of multiple Delta units.
    Windows 2000/ME and 95/98 multi-card, multi-client drivers with ASIO1 and ASIO2 multi-card, GSIF and EASI drivers included; Windows NT multi-card drivers also included.
    Macintosh control panel and drivers with ASIO1, ASIO2, and legacy ASIO support for OS 8.5.1 or higher.

the following is included with the mac os 9 driver version 3.10a
Delta Multi-card How-To

A. Physically synchronize the cards
B. Set up the control panel

A. Physically synchronize the cards

It is probably best to do this with the computer off. Make sure all the cards are screwed in tight before proceeding.

The cards should be synchronized via Coaxial S/PDIF cables. Most cards have these connections on the back of the card. The 1010LT and AP2496 have their digital connections on "tails" that connect to the back of the PCI card. For the cards with tails, the connections are labeled SP I and SP O for input and output, respectively. For the others, the inputs and outputs are red and white, respectively.

Although S/PDIF cables habe the same style RCA connector as RCA phono jacks, they do not have the same resistance as standard audio cabling. The use of a standard audio RCA cable will yield noise in your audio signal and loss of external sync between cards. Please use the proper cabling when syncing cards together to yield desired results.

Choose one card as the master clock and daisy chain the S/PDIF connections: output from the master to input of the next card; output of that card to input of the next; etc. It doesn't really matter which one you choose, but it is easier to troubleshoot if you wire the cards in the order that they show up in the Delta Panel. If you have several of the same card (i.e., 3 Delta 1010s), you might want to install one pair first, and get them synchronized, then add the third.

B. Set up the control panel

1. Open the Delta Panel in your Control Panels folder
2. Select the "Multi-card" Radio Button and select the master clock card in the flip menu above that
3. Switch to the "HW Settings" tab and set the "Master Clock" to "Internal Xtal."
4. Select each remaining card in the flip menu in the upper right and set their "Master Clock" to "S/PDIF"

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: M-audio Delta 410 (Sep 2001)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:48:25 AM »
installing on windows 9x/ME will result in an error message saying "Installation requires Microsoft DirectX 8.1"
so download it first:
http://www.oldapps.com/directx.php?old_directx=4

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:06:11 AM »
Sound quality, performance, and superior driver technology are a few of the reasons that Delta audio cards have established worldwide recognition as a top choice in PCI-based digital audio solutions. With superb engineering and ultra-high quality conversion, the fidelity of the Delta 410 outperforms cards that cost many times more. The 410 offers the professional performance required by today's most popular software programs, and provides you with features like 24-bit 96 kHz recording, zero latency monitoring and digital mixing.Recordings are often put together one track at a time (a guitar solo here, a vocal there) as opposed to being all tracked simultaneously. As a result, many musicians decide to choose an audio card with fewer Ins and more Outs rather than spending money on a lot of inputs they may never use. The Delta 410's 4-in/10-out configuration is created with this type of recording approach in mind. The multi-output card is often combined with an analog mixer, allowing a computer-based recording system to behave more like a traditional analog one. Recording inputs are quickly routed to the same inputs of the soundcard via a patchbay or mixer. Outputs are sent to mixer channels or analog effects devices, allowing for an "analog studio" style configuration where signals are bussed to and from a mixer in the analog domain.

Delta 410 is a great option for mixing DAW in analog domain or surround.
I'm a music producer for many years, since the analog days... But digital is very necessary today and will be the only option in a short future (unfortunately) I had a Delta 2496 some years ago, and the Delta 410 have the same good sound. Good AD/DA converters, good signal noise relation and very stable in using. It is the perfect audio card for who wants to mix in analog mixers or summing mixers, becouse it have 8 analog outputs and only 2 analog inputs. So, if you dont want to spend unnecessary money with many inputs but need many outputs, it is your audio card. It is also perfect for surround mixing, because it can decode Dolby and DTS and sending analog 7.1 outputs or any surround configuration below. Another great thing is that M-Audio had created new drivers for Win7, including 64bit. So you can buy the Delta 410 safely, because even though out of production it still has driver support.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pops-clicks-distortion-during-playback-recording-m-audio-delta/

I get Pops and Clicks or Distortion during Playback and Recording with my M-Audio Delta card in my Windows PC. What can I do about this?
Article #28670 Updated on Jan 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM
– Check if you have the most recent driver for your Delta Card installed. For this kind of problem we also recommend to try our latest Beta drivers if available.

– The interference is usually caused by Buffer-Components that are not running in Synch. There is a number of Hardware- and Software-Buffers. Here is a list of the Buffers that allow to change their settings:

– Adjusting the Buffer Sizes of the Delta card: Start with the smallest value and increase step by step (Delta Control Panel -> Hardware Settings -> DMA Buffer Size)

– Windows virtual memory: Set the same value for Minimum/Maximum (Control Panel-> System -> Advanced->Performance Options->Virtual Memory: z.B. 512/512)

– Windows File Cache Settings: Set the same value for Minimum/Maximum (Open the file System.ini -> in the section [vcache] -> MinFileCache=16384, MaxFileCache=16384)

– In Windows 9x/ME it might be helpful to disable the function MultiClient ASIO/EASI (Delta Control Panel -> Hardware Settings)

– Windows 2000/XP: If you are using ASIO software applications, the System Performance should be set to “Background Services” (Control Panel-> System -> Advanced -> Performance Options)

– In Windows XP, you should also adjust the graphic performance as follows: Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> System Performance -> Settings -> “Adjust for best performance”

– When running Windows 2000/XP, in some cases the Standard-PC Mode brings better results than the ACPI-Mode. Change the mode by updating/changing the driver for “Computer” in Windows’ Device Manager. Attention! Switching from Standard PC back to ACPI in Windows XP is not possible. Do not attempt to switch Multi-processor Computers or Laptops to Standard PC mode. This mode is not supported on these computers (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Computer -> Properties -> Update driver -> Install from a list or specific location -> Don’t search I will choose the driver)
Additional Tips related to noise and interferences:

– Make sure that all the drivers for all devices installed in your computer are recent. Install an INF-Update (Driver Update for Windows). This update can be obtained from your Mainboard manufacturer. Install all available Windows Windows-Updates, e.g. for the USB-ports. Disconnect all USB devices and check if the problem still occurs.

– Check if a BIOS Update is available for your Computer’s Mainboard (fixes known problems with the Southbridge on Main Boards with VIA Chipsets)

– For Windows 95/98/ME we recommend to disable the “Auto Insert Notification”. (Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> CD-ROM -> Settings)

– Deactivate Task-Monitor programs installed by printers. These programs continuously check the status of your printer and are usually not necessary for the general operation of the printer.

– Under no circumstances use 100MHz and 133MHz RAM in the same Computer. Check if the problem still occurs when you are running your computer with only one RAM stick. We also got reports about clicking sounds caused by cheap, low quality RAM.

– IRQ sharing should be avoided is possible. Check the IRQ assignment to see if any device is using the same IRQ as your Delta Series card of if an IRQ higher than number 15 has been assigned to it (IRQs higher that number 15 are virtual IRQs which are shared with other physical IRQs (0-15)). (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information -> Hardware Resources -> IRQs)

– Possibly, the Delta card is receiving interferences from another device. This might even be a disabled device, e.g. USB. Activate all disabled devices and check if they are using the same IRQ as your Delta card (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information -> Hardware Resources -> IRQs). In this list, the only listing that may have the same value as the Delta card is the “IRQ Holder”. If the Delta card is sharing an IRQ with other devices than the “IRQ Holder”, you can fix that by physically moving the Delta card to another PCI slot in your computer.

– If a RAID Controller is used in your computer, it can be helpful to reduce it’s “PCI Bus Utilization” by using a software program provided by the Hardware manufacturer of the RAID controller). As an example, Promise RAID controllers can usually be reduced to about 75-80% by using the program “Promise FastCheck Monitoring Utility”.

– If your Main Board is using a VIA Chipset, it is necessary to download and install the latest VIA 4-in1-Driver (4.37 or higher). Additionally, it might be helpful to download and install the latest USB-filter driver. These drivers are usually included with the Driver CD of your Computer’s Main Board and should be installed immediately after the installation of the Windows operating system and before the installation of the driver for the Video-/Graphics card. The most recent VIA-Drivers are available at http://www.via.com.tw in the section Technical Support-> Drivers.

– If you are using USB devices on a Mainboard with a VIA Chipset running Win98SE, you should also install Microsoft’s UHCD-Update: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q240/0/75.asp

– When using Main Boards with a KT133 or KT133A Chipset, using 100 MHz RAM or “No-Name” RAM is questionable. For these mainboards, only use Brand name RAM running at 133 Mhz and make sure that the SDRAM frequency is set to 133 MHz in your Computer’s BIOS.

When using Mainboards with VIA Chipsets, you should make sure the following recommended settings are made in your Computer’s BIOS:

– PCI Delay Transaction set to Disable, Off or Value=0
– PCI Master Read Caching set to Disable, Off or Value=0 (for KT133A Chipsets: Enable is OK)
– PCI Latency set to 32
– P2C/C2P Concurrency set to Disabled, Off or Value=0

Recommended Power Managment-Settings for Wake-On: Primary INTR: all Events Disabled