Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: the end of windows xp (2008 article)  (Read 3161 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
the end of windows xp (2008 article)
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »
http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/end-windows-xp

The newly released Service Pack 3 will be the last one ever issued for Windows XP - and XP itself is due to go 'off the market' at the end of June. Are there any implications for the thousands of XP-using musicians out there?

As I write this, Microsoft are poised to unleash the long-awaited Windows XP Service Pack 3. It was released to manufacturing on April 21st and downloadable via Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) and Download Center (www.microsoft.com/downloads) from April 29th. It is already downloadable from a few third-party sites, such as Major Geeks (www.majorgeeks.com/download4323.html).

The End Of Windows XP
Service Pack 3 is an update for Windows XP Home, Professional, Tablet PC and Media Center Editions (but not Windows XP Professional x64), and at 316MB it will be a hefty download, so those with slower Internet connections will perhaps find it less stressful to wait for it to arrive on PC magazine freebie CD-ROMs.

While it does contain a few new minor features, it's essentially a collection of bug fixes released since SP2, and also includes all the hundreds of previously released updates, security improvements and hotfixes from Service Pack 2, so installing it ensures you have the very latest versions of every Windows XP system file. SP3 even removes some minor Windows XP features, such as the taskbar Address option. However, in a departure from previous policy, it doesn't contain any of the Service Pack 1 fixes, so you need to have already installed SP1.

None of the minor new features (Network Access Protection compatibility, the Kernel Mode Cryptographics Module, Black Hole router detection algorithm and Product Key-less install option) are likely to be of much interest to musicians, although some may find it helpful that the final item in that list lets you create a 'slipstream' Windows XP CD-ROM with Service Pack 3 included, which you can install without having to enter a product key, as you can with Vista.

Speed Bump?

What have interested many musicians are the claims that XP3 provides a significant performance boost. Indeed, with benchmarks showing that Windows XP SP3 runs Microsoft's Office suite 10 percent faster than the same machine running Windows XP SP2, some brave musicians installed the SP3 beta versions and have variously reported reduced booting and shutdown times, snappier opening of windows and files and improved speed of audio editing, and there have been comments such as 'runs noticeably better'. Unfortunately, other musicians who installed SP3 beta versions reported missing USB ports, system freezes and, in one case, not being able to boot into Windows at all after the update.

Of course, beta versions are released so that any remaining bugs can be found 'in the wild' and subsequently dealt with by the developer, so it's always safer to wait until the official release. Moreover, readers with long memories will remember that even the official release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 managed to nobble Firewire performance (requiring the subsequent fix available from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222), as well as temporarily refusing to run Cakewalk's Sonar without a small Windows tweak to alter its DEP (Data Execution Prevention) status.

Fortunately, SP3 backs up all the files it's about to change, and you can un-install it if anything amiss happens. Nevertheless, if you intend to install SP3 on your music PC I'd recommend the additional precaution of first making a disk image file, so that if the update results in any problems you can restore the image file, to return your hard drive to exactly its previous state.

I downloaded SP3 early from Major Geeks so I could report back on my findings, and although the update takes a long time to work its way through all the system file changes, I experienced no problems during the procedure. Unfortunately, nor did I notice any improvement in booting or shutdown on my PC, or any change in audio performance (DAWbench provided the same results before and after the update, for instance).

However, I have experienced significantly faster Internet performance, with quicker opening of windows, and a consistently higher download speed. Before the update my downloads were lucky to achieve 85 percent 'Network Utilization', whereas they now manage up to 93 percent. I suspect we'll all have a slightly different experience, but hopefully a positive one.

The Demise Of XP

Microsoft have announced that Windows XP will be 'going off the market' on June 30th 2008, so Service Pack 3 is the final one that will ever be released for it. Given that such a small proportion of musicians have so far migrated to Vista, some are beginning to panic about what will happen after this date, and some DAW builders have been considering stockpiling XP licenses before the cutoff date, so they can still offer XP as a system option.

Well, although Microsoft will stop selling XP on June 30th, that doesn't mean you won't be able to buy additional copies elsewhere. A quick web search demonstrates that almost every Windows version is still available, including unused copies of Windows 95 that change hands on eBay for a few pounds. So although it's unlikely we'll be offered XP as an operating system option on new mainstream PCs from now on, I suspect we'll be able to buy it for some years to come. However, once freshly installed on a new PC, XP was also the first Microsoft operating system that required 'activation' to continue running after a grace period, so getting hold of additional copies isn't the only concern in the future. Fortunately, Microsoft will be carrying on with XP Product Activations until April 2014. If Vista or its successor haven't won over musicians by then, I suspect we'll all be running Macs anyway!

AMD Phenom X3

A couple of years ago AMD Athlon X2 processors became favourites with musicians, beause, despite a few compatibility issues, they offered better audio performance than Intel's Pentium D range for a similar outlay, as well as being easier to keep cool. Intel fought back with their Core 2 Duo range, which also offered significantly better performance, albeit at a higher price.

The End Of Windows XP
However, when Intel's Core 2 Quad models appeared some months later, AMD slipped further behind in the performance stakes, and even their subsequent Phenom X4 quad-core processor range didn't compete, in terms of performance. Nevertheless, the Phenom range remains attractive to anyone on a budget, especially since AMD generally make their newer processors compatible with existing motherboard chip sets via a free BIOS update, so that you can unplug your current CPU and plug in a faster replacement. Intel, on the other hand, nearly always couple new processors with new chip sets, forcing you to upgrade both motherboard and processor.

With the budget-conscious in mind, AMD have now released a range of tri-core Phenom X3 processors, which are essentially X4 processors with one core disabled, allowing AMD to salvage otherwise unusable CPUs and sell them at an even more competitive price. There are initially three models: the 8450 runs at 2.1GHz, the 8650 at 2.3GHz and the 8750 at 2.4GHz. The memory controller is slightly slower, but the X3s generate less heat than the X4s, so they can be cooled more easily and quietly. If you already have an Athlon 64 X2 and an AM2-format motherboard, a Phenom X3 should work in the same system after a BIOS update, making it a perfect replacement that offers significantly greater performance.

AMD are hoping the X3s tempt those currently considering a new PC based around an Intel dual-core CPU. After all, with most software three cores should provide 50 percent more performance than two running at the same clock speed. A few applications may have problems with three cores, not because there's anything inherently wrong with the concept, but because the software only checks for the more usual one, two, four, or eight cores. Hopefully, such issues should be speedily resolved by software developers.