Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: use a DVI to VGA adapter with 64mb Radeon 7000 PCI to avoid issues?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info

just updating this issue
i had a blank purple screen when using a radeon 7000 PCI (64mb Sapphire PC-edition flashed to mac)
but i had a flash of inspiration and decided to look for my DVI-VGA adapter and using that the same mac + monitor works fine so i guess this is an issue to do with the 64mb 7000 radeon sold by "howfunkel" on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Apple-Mac-G4-G5-ATI-Radeon-7000-PCI-64MB-Video-Card-DVI-VGA-S-Video-TV-Out-OS9-/200710223413

anyway i recievd this card when i bought my b+W g3 450mhz from a nice guy from richmond hill, he included it for free as he didnt need it anymore. (thanks!) anyway i had nothing but problems with it and im starting to see why. so i guess its becuase i used it with a vga connector instead of the main/primary port (the dvi port!!!)

im wondering if theres a better flash rom that would make the vga port function properly?
perhaps its just a hardware incompatibility with the g3 b+W model... im not sure.. but it sure was a pain in the ass!!!!!  whats my goal? to have the best performing card that i can while still being *100% supported by mac os 8.6* as well as being compatible with 9.22 + above aswell (not worried about core image + quartz extreme, this is a lowend build!!) basically i know that os8.x has built in support for anything related to the ATI RAGE chipset.. rage pro / turbo / 128 / orion / nexus etc but i think the radeon 7000 is also supported 100% in the same way.. the radeon 8500AGP is supposed to have mac os 8.6 drivers in the box with it.. i think a radeon 7500 agp could work if flashed too i have one i think i might try flashing it!

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
how to flash radeon 7000 pci cards
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:13:58 PM »
http://www.synack.net/~bbraun/ati7k.html

just linking this here.. how to flash radeon 7000 pci cards