Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Personal Composer (1985 software) by Jim Miller (RIP)  (Read 9460 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Personal Composer (1985 software) by Jim Miller (RIP)
« on: July 07, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/personal-composer-system-2/4036
later released as Personal Composer System/2 (1988)

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
To run Personal Composer System/2, you need the following:

• IBM PC, XT, AT or compatible computer or an IBM PS/2 model 25 or 30.
• A 360K floppy disk drive (a hard disk is strongly recommended) and DOS version 2.0 or higher - except for the PS/2 computers, which need DOS 3.3 or higher.
• A minimum of 640K of RAM - more if possible for a RAM disk.
• Hercules, EGA or equivalent graphics (8512 or 8513 graphics on the PS/2 models) adaptor.
• A mouse would be nice, but is optional. However, if you are going to be using this product a lot, I suggest that you at least borrow a mouse for a while to find out whether this method of access is more efficient for you.
We haven't finished yet: a Roland MPU401 (or compatible) MIDI interface or an IBM Music Feature card.

rip jim miller (?-1991)(pictured on right, next to jaee logan)

below is jaee's own comment for the above photo!
Back in the midi computer pioneering days I was a real enthusiasts I worked with a lot of companies developing music software (Personal Composer) as a beta tester.This is a tribute to my good friend Jim Miller because he paved the way for midi notation software when there was nothing at that time It was an honor to start the computer movement with this man I miss you much.Remembering Jim Miller A legend in the music software industry.

seen in this video around the 17min mark

jx8p, mkb 300, mks-30, mks-80, msq-100, tr-707, tr-727, axis 1, srv-2000, sde-2500, mpu-101, sh-101, mpu-401

PERSONAL COMPOSER SYSTEM/2: Main Features

Score Editing and Playing
Enter and edit standard music notation and lyrics. It's both a word processor and a music processor in one. You can play the score at any stage in its development over MIDI.

Music Printing and Desktop Publishing
Print scores on ordinary dot-matrix printers, laser printers or even phototypesetters.

32-track MIDI Recording
Record from MIDI synthesizers on 32 tracks and 16 MIDI channels (simultaneously) direct-to-disk for infinitely long recordings limited only by disk capacity.

Automatic Transcription
Automatically transcribe Recorder tracks to standard notation in any key for editing in the Score Editor and for printing.

MIDI Graphic Editing
Create any symbol for score entry and optionally assign MIDI codes for synthesizer control.

MIDI Event Editing
Enter and edit MIDI events in the Recorder to 120th of a quarter note resolution.

Performing
Chain songs and synthesizer set-ups for an automated performance. As soon as a song completes, the next one is ready.

Universal Librarian and DX/TX Patch Editing
Store most synthesizer patches and edit DX7, TX7 and TX816 patches.

IBM PC Music Feature Control
Configure the IBM PC Music Feature card and external FB01 synthesizers from a simulated FB01 front panel.

Programming
Assign up to 2000 keystrokes to a single function key. There's also a Lisp interpreter built-in for artificial intelligence programming, and Lisp applications are function key assignable.

distributors:
System Support Associates Ltd, Melbourne House, Melbourne Street, Brighton BN2 3LH. Tel. (0273)603245.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:52:02 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline LastTechnology

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Composer (1985 software) by Jim Miller
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »
Hi , ... I am searching the Personal  Composer MS-DOS 1984 software ( Old versión ), for a friend

Where can I download it ?  Thanks

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:53:05 AM »
im also still searching - noone has stepped forward to say they have a copy..
Jim Miller is long since Deceased + the software's name was appropriated to sell a crappier windows GUI version of the original DOS program

im friends with JAEE pictured above i think its a copy of hte software in his hands with 5.25" diskette

sure wish Jim Miller was still around tho! he looks totally 80s in this pic! Lol

Offline LastTechnology

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:17:33 AM »
Thanks ,If I get it in anyway, I will communicate it and put it here   ;)

mclaren

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:34:08 AM »
I've got the 1985 DOS Personal Composer on a 5.25" floppy somewhere. Will see if I can find it and upload it here.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
I've got the 1985 DOS Personal Composer on a 5.25" floppy somewhere. Will see if I can find it and upload it here.

that would be very appreciated!
RIP Jim Miller

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Composer (1985 software) by Jim Miller (RIP)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:37:06 PM »
still looking to find a copy of this app! if anyone has it to share