Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Lynx One (2i/2o 2xMIDI i/o) (2000)  (Read 4070 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Lynx One (2i/2o 2xMIDI i/o) (2000)
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »

Stereo 24-bit analog input and outputs with +4dBu or -10dBV levels
    Digital I/O supporting AES/EBU and S/P DIF formats at sample rates up to 96kHz
    Independent, 24-bit audio stream architecture supports simultaneous four-channel recording and playback
    Two smart, deeply buffered MIDI ports
    Low-jitter, highly adjustable sample clock tunable to all rates 8kHz to 100kHz
    Mixer application provides software-controlled configuration
    Ships with complete 6' Audio cable and 2' MIDI/Clock cable set
    Internal Clock input and output connectors for synchronizing multiple LynxONE's or connection to video capture/playback adapter
    Ships with Windows 95/98/ME drivers and Windows NT/2000/XP drivers for Intel/AMD platforms and Macintosh OS9 ASIO 2.0 drivers
    Does not support 64-bit or Vista.
http://www.lynxstudio.com/manuals/LynxONEManual.pdf (windows manual)
http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=7
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lynx-ONE-Professional-PCI-Audio-Interface-Card-/281445765887?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item41877992ff
but possibly without MIDI or digital IO cables
many for sale here
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov00/articles/lynx.htm

pretty feature-packed card.. which ive read had a very professional following

It's a PCI soundcard which, although it uses onboard A-D and D-A converters rather than a separate breakout box, is designed to yield the best possible audio quality. It features a single stereo analogue input and output, and its analogue signal path is as simple as possible, to keep noise levels to a minimum. Switching between professional and consumer levels is done using just about the cleanest approach there is — relays with gold-plated contacts — and the hardware uses surface-mount active components and precision resistors for optimum performance. Extensive use of ground planes and power-supply filtering also keep computer-related noise to a minimum.

Single stereo digital inputs and outputs are also provided (although all four inputs and outputs can be used simultaneously for four-in/four-out operation when required), as well as word clock In and Out, two MIDI Ins, and two MIDI Outs. On the digital side, great attention has been paid to the onboard clock, which provides very low jitter levels, and the digital input and output are, unusually for a soundcard, provided in AES-EBU format, although S/PDIF is also provided as a software-switched option. The digital input and output are also transformer-coupled to combat earth loops.

Final Thoughts

This is possibly the best-sounding soundcard I've reviewed to date, even though it doesn't use the very latest converters. It just shows that attention to detail and dedicated audio engineering can squeeze the last drop of performance from the available components, and that you don't necessarily have to have externally mounted converters to achieve professional results. The Lynx One's digital interfacing is also versatile and well-thought-out, and you should be able to connect it to most digital gear (except for those items with Toslink optical connectors).

Some musicians will be put off by the lack of 96kHz capability for analogue recording and playback. However, the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit recordings is far more than that between 44.1kHz and 96kHz ones, and unless the rest of your gear is of excellent quality I doubt that you'd notice more than a whisker of difference.

If you only ever need to record and play back in stereo, the Lynx One will do this in style. Although its retail price is comparatively high, you should be able to hear the improvement in sound quality when compared with many other soundcards, and if you look around you should be able to find it at a UK street price of around £449. You can get multitrack soundcards with external converters and an impressive-looking rackmount case for a similar amount of money, but those who use their ears rather than their eyes are likely to be more impressed by the Lynx One. Anyone who remains convinced that computer soundcards are the poor relation of audio should take a careful listen.

this card can be used in multiple configurations

Features

Two 24-bit Analog Inputs

Two 24-bit Analog Outputs

+4 dBu or 10 dBV Balanced or Unbalanced

24-bit/96 kHz AES/EBU or S/PDIF I/O

Two Low-Latency MIDI Ports

Low-jitter PLL Sample Clock

Extensive Synchronization Capabilities

Multiple Card Operation

Independent 4-channel Operation

Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP MME, DirectSound, ASIO 2

Macintosh ASIO Driver

Mixer Application

Completely Software Controllable

Six-foot Balanced Audio Cable Set

Two-foot MIDI/Clock Cable Set

Half-size PCI Card

Stereo 24-bit analog input and outputs with +4dBu or -10dBV levels, less than 0.0025% THD+N, and dynamic range greater than 103dB (real specs, not just converter specs).

Digital I/O supporting AES/EBU and S/P DIF formats at sample rates up to 96kHz.

Independent, 24-bit audio stream architecture supports simultaneous four-channel recording and playback.

Supports 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit audio file formats.

Two smart, deeply buffered MIDI ports.

Low-jitter, highly adjustable sample clock tunable to all rates 8kHz to 100kHz.

Clock inputs and outputs sync to word, word*256, video clocks and to other LynxONEs.

Reconfigurable FPGA-based engine supports record monitor mixing and stand-alone A>D or D>A conversion capability.

Mixer application provides software-controlled configuration - no jumpers!

Ships with complete 6' Audio cable and 2' MIDI/Clock cable set.

Audio cable is DB25 to balanced XLR for all connections.

MIDI/Clock cable is HD15 to standard MIDI connectors for both inputs and outputs. BNC for Clock input and output.

Internal Clock input and output connectors for synchronizing multiple LynxONE's or connection to video capture/playback adapter.

Requires 90MHz Pentium or DEC Alpha processor, one free PCI slot, 16MB RAM minimum.

FCC Class B and CE approved for Home and Office use.