Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: support for windows 32bit is dissappearing  (Read 3522 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
support for windows 32bit is dissappearing
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:43:37 AM »
support for windows 32bit is dissappearing quick!!!

additionally some applications will require updating to windows 7 Service Pack 1
and also updating Microsoft .NET framework to v4.6.1+

Offline iRelevant

• View Profile
Re: support for windows 32bit is dissappearing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:31:36 PM »
I have been a victim of this win7 SP1 thing a while ago ... had a hard time upgrading my Presonus Studio One v2 to v3 ... turned out SP1 was a must. Took a while to figure it out. Support for XP was also dropped in v3. 

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 06:37:30 AM »
Took a while to figure it out. Support for XP was also dropped in v3.

yea exactly why i felt the need to drop a post!! because it stumped me for a good 2 hrs trying to fidn the right version of .net framework... it must be something that makes thier jobs as programmers easier to limit their support to SP1 instead of the original release of win7.....

choosing to have at least one 32bit windows machine (win7, vista32, xp32) stil has some tricks up its sleeves (for example being able to run Rebirth in rewire mode!) when it comes to compatibility with older windows 95/98 apps+plugins, windows 32 bit! kicks ass

but ya, i guess Win7-32bit /w SP1 is the end of the line for 32bit windows? (oops no i was wrong, they have win32 bit versions of win8 + windows 10!!! i wasnt aware)
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42852/microsofts-windows-10-feature-32-bit-version/index.html
articles like this are always written from a mouth-breathing short sighted "MUST UPGRADE" perspective..
that has little regard for compatibility with older existing systems + Technologies

Offline iRelevant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:21:28 AM »
I think it has to do with cost saving and simplified support ... it's easier to relate to just the latest version ... versus having to take into account different releases of the OS. I think this is one of the main reason why so many hardware/software manufacturers have dropped support for XP. It's a cost saving decision and will in the end force an upgrade from win7 to the next "wonder". My suspects are not in the programming department, but the smart asses in the business lounge.

I think there are empirical test that show that there is little to nothing to be gained from 64- vs 32-bit computing, I can't recall sources at the moment ... but I think some performance tests for windows actually showed "au contrair". It actually went slower with 64 bit, this was explained away with how there where bug in code which was different for 64 bit. I don't know. My main audio machine at the moment is an win7 x64 ... but I only use the 32 bit versions of programs on it. Works good for me. Avoids a lot of trouble for nothing.

I guess win7 is approaching the end of it's life time, and I have a machine running win10 ... it's not to bad by MS standards ... they seem to manage a decent OS every other time ... but I fail to see any reason to upgrade except by force. It's hard to imagine now exactly what may be that force from a audio perspective, but someone really would need to come up with some revolutionary new touch screen based app ... and I fail to imagine how they are gonna beat apple on that front. There is no way that it will be some new cheap plastic usb controller ... I'm all stocked up in that department ... and have gone retro :)

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 02:08:20 AM »
32bit versions of windows 7, windows 8, windows 8.1 + windows 10 are all still very usefull especially when it comes to hardware that doesnt support 64bit drivers! just make sure u max out with 4GB RAM