*** "All things are possible" Mark 10:27 ***
please feel free to post relevant information in the pre-existing threads if file attachments or images are not displayed you may need to register/login logging in also enables you to use the arrow keys to page back + forth Recent | Who | Artists | USB | Firewire | VST | Retrospects | Commodore | ATARI ST | Amiga | IBM/DOS | WIN/PC | Mac | MacOS9 | Drums | Drum Machines | Synths | Modules | Samplers | Tape | Mixers | Software | GFX | Midi Interfaces | Midi Sequencers | ControllersE-mu | Ensoniq | Akai "S" | MPCs | Roland "MC"Roland "S" | Roland "JV" | JV addons | Hardware Effects | iOS | android | DAW Software Timeline

Author Topic: alesis ai-1 (1993) sample converter  (Read 1010 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
alesis ai-1 (1993) sample converter
« on: August 25, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »

https://web.archive.org/web/20150721193853/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/jul94/alesisal1.html

The AI-1 is a very straightforward unit that performs the complex task of sample rate conversion with almost casual ease. I could detect no difference in sound quality between the input signal and the sample-rate-converted output, nor did I expect to. The only problem might arise when transferring material from a DAT machine that records with pre-emphasis; although the AI-1 passes on the de-emphasis flag, it doesn't actually de-emphasise the data. The outcome of this is that transferring tapes made on a Casio or Tascam portable DAT machine to ADAT will result in the ADAT playing back the material un-de-emphasised, so although the recording will play OK, there'll be far too much top end.

Most of the applications of the AI-1 are pretty obvious, but the slightly less commonplace uses might include transfer to and from hard-disk recorders, use of ADAT to back up stereo DAT masters, and transfer of CD sound effects material to ADAT. Ultimately, not every ADAT owner will feel a burning need to own an AI-1, but I can think of several situations where I'd have been very glad to have one around, including the times when I've wanted to sample rate convert a DAT master at the same time as loading it into Sound Tools for editing. With the AI-1, all these things are possible. Given the quality of sample rate conversion and its ability to interface between different digital standards, I feel the AI-1 is something of a bargain, when you consider that only a year ago you could have paid around £2,500 for a professional unit doing substantially the same job.