Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Adaptec AHA-1542CF (1994)  (Read 2706 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Adaptec AHA-1542CF (1994)
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:02:03 PM »
https://m.artisantg.com/info/Adaptec_AHA_1540CF_1542CF_Installation_Guide.pdf

Is it just me, or was the AHA-1542CF the BEST disk controller ever made for the AT Bus? SCSI, MFM, RLL, IDE -- doesn't matter which -- Was there ever anything better than it?

For those of you not familiar with it:
http://www.deathshadow.com/images/AHA-1542CF.jpg

Adaptec EZ-BIOS that pimp-slaps even the crappiest AT BIOS into shape, floppy controller (that always seemed 'faster' somehow), software level turning on/off termination on the card, Configurable to a half dozen different ports, ability to co-exist with other cards of the same type, that nice big robust 50 pin Centronics D on the back instead of the rinky little crap that came later... The ENTIRE 154x series were absolutely great cards, but the 1542CF was like the pinnacle of the art of making a disk controller.

I mean, I'm sitting here with a 10mhz 286 that's got a 4 gig 10K RPM Seagate Cheetah... So I'm pushing 2.8megs/sec according to Norton's Sysinfo, even with the warning about the disk controller blocking the seek time test.