Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Intel Pentium MMX vs Pentium II (July 1997)  (Read 2907 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Intel Pentium MMX vs Pentium II (July 1997)
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:21:32 AM »
https://www.anandtech.com/show/77

Take two nearly identical Intel chips, both with 32KB of L1 cache, both running at nearly identical clock speeds, and see how well they perform against each other. Here are the specs of the tests I conducted, I tried to make them as equal as possible:
Intel Pentium MMX   Intel Pentium II
Chip - Standard Clock Speed/Bus Speed   Intel Pentium MMX - 233/66   Intel Pentium II MMX - 266/66
Chip - Overclocked Speed/Bus Speed   Intel Pentium MMX - 290/83   Intel Pentium II MMX - 300/66
Motherboard   Shuttle HOT-569   Megatrends FX83-A
Voltage Setting   3.30v Vio & Vcore   N/A
RAM   2 x 32MB Megatrends SDRAM DIMMs   2 x 32MB Micron 50ns EDO SIMMs
HDD   Western Digital Caviar (1.6GB)   Western Digital Caviar (1.6GB)
Video   Matrox Millennium (2MB WRAM)   Matrox Millennium (2MB WRAM)
System Cooling   Enlight 7230 ATX Tower
1.5" Heatsink/Fan Combo   Enlight 7230 ATX Tower
OEM Heatsink
Windows 95 Performance Pentium MMX vs Pentium II
Business Winstone 97

Test   Intel Pentium MMX   Intel Pentium II
Business Winstone 97   57.6   66.5
High End Winstone 97   Failed   34.4
CPUMark16   569   612
CPUMark 32   564   820
The Pentium MMX at 290.5, although clocked at a speed about 3% greater than the Pentium MMX 300, provided excellent competition. Its Business Winstone score of 57.6, although 8.9 points lower than the Pentium II at 300, is extremely good for a processor lacking any onchip (or in this case, "on card" cache). The difference between the CPUMark scores is very small, except whe ndealing with 32bit scores, the Pentium II's strongpoint. Who would've guessed that a < $300 chip could perform almost as well as a > $700 chip...both made by the same company! The only problem I see here is getting the Pentium MMX stable at 290.5MHz, when testing it, the system crashed a few times however I believe most of the crashes were caused by inefficient cooling (I didn't use any thermal compound). I picked the Shuttle HOT-569 to conduct the tests on because of its excellent performance and stability with the Pentium MMX at 290.5 as well as its SDRAM support. I chose the Megatrends FX83-A for all of the Pentium II tests since it is the fastest performing Pentium II motherboard I have tested so far, and it continues to prove its excellence in the Quake tests below...although you do get to see some interesting results...

WinQuake Performance Pentium MMX vs Pentium II
Business Winstone 97

Resolution   Intel Pentium MMX   Intel Pentium II
320 x 200   61.9 fps   57.3 fps
512 x 384   25.9 fps   35.8 fps
640 x 400   25.9 fps   31.7 fps
640 x 480   22.4 fps   31.7 fps
Why would a processor, almost twice the price of its supposedly lower performing counterpart, be outshown by it? Yep, the results say it all, at the 320 x 200 resolution under Quake the Pentium MMX at 290.5MHz is FASTER than the Pentium II! Although that trend doesn't continue to the higher resolutions, if you feel that 320 x 200 is the only resolution you want to play at there is no point in choosing the Pentium II over the Pentium MMX. I should note that I didn't use any third party performance enhancing utilities (i.e. FastVid) so I could get a raw comparison of both identically configured systems. The Pentium II rules the 512 x 384 and higher resolutions under WinQuake (or Regular Quake for that matter) however the Pentium MMX is still the fastest GLQuake performer out there (the Pentium II doesn't work too well with the voodoofx chipset).

Real World FPU Tests Pentium MMX vs Pentium II
Truespace3 Render Times

Chip   Render Time (lower is better)
Intel Pentium II - 233   13:82s
Intel Pentium II - 266   11:51s
Intel Pentium II - 300   10:30s
Intel Pentium MMX 233   14:11s
Intel Pentium MMX 262.5   12:14s
Intel Pentium MMX 290.5   10:83s