this site exists for reference purposes for all those interested in learning about the original hardware + software from the late 1980s + early 1990s thanks for visiting
Who | MIDI Interfaces | Software | TIMELINE | PCI | ISA | ATARI ST | DOS/PC | WIN/PC | MAC | Drums | Synths | Modules |Sequencers | Samplers | Tape Rec | Mix Consoles |
Artists | Recent | VST | ios inst | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai "S" Series | Akai MPCs | Roland "S" Series | Drum Machines | Roland JV Addons | early 90s Synths | late 80s synths
guests are encouraged to: REGISTER to view file attachments + add relevant videos, downloads, resources. (credit your SOURCE!).to post a vid just paste url!

Offline iRelevant

Re: CAKEWALK is no more! as of November 17,2017 killed by GIBSON!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:23:04 AM »
This is incomprehensible and sad I think  :( Cakewalk have one of the best customer services that I have ever been in touch with, they recently helped me get an old Roland V-100 controller and Sonar VS up and running again.

I was evaluating the latest Sonar editions when this announcement came out of the blue, closing shop, good thing is that it looks like the evaluation periode have been extended for a year. Even though the user interface is a bit chubby, and maybe dated ... it still is a very nice DAW. It might still be possible to sign up for an fully working demo version, just incase anybody is interested. I'm not shure if it is still possible, but if it is ... it's a steal of a deal. (Edit#2 :It's still possible to register for a trial periode, so it hasn't become abandon-ware just yet ).

Edit : I don't think it is fair to entirely blame Gibson for this, if you look into the subject it's complex. They'r loosing money, lack of new customers, bankers and creditors etc. etc.

Edit#3 : I think what happened with Cakewalk is happening to other DAW's as well at the moment. I've been using StudioOne for awhile, but I dropped out at v3. It's to much ... you are supposed to be able to do everything ... yet end up getting nothing done. I guess that's why I'm here exploring :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:30:49 PM by iRelevant »

Offline Mixermap

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:30:29 AM »
Quote: "Edit#3 : I think what happened with Cakewalk is happening to other DAW's as well at the moment. I've been using StudioOne for awhile, but I dropped out at v3. It's to much ... you are supposed to be able to do everything ... yet end up getting nothing done."

You are correct 100%
From my experience of teaching Music Production at University for 15 years, I have seen the change.
When I first started lecturing in 2002 students were making music. By 2017 they are now collecting plug-ins and never finishing any tracks.

This is much more of a problem in Dance / Electronic Music but even Rock music is affected.

Whose fault is it?

APPLE: they bought Emagic (and stopped PC development) and started giving Logic away virtually for free, including all the extras. Just so they could sell their Macs.
Everyone else had to start including a full set of plugins to remain competitive. Even Avid had to buy AIR so they could keep Pro Tools competitive.

It also destroyed the "value" of music by making people believe that anyone can be a "producer" by just buying a Mac and sourcing a copy of Logic...

They also constantly tweak their OS with the "side effect" of rendering other DAWs incompatible for weeks at a time... :)

Apple has it sussed...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:48:41 AM by Mixermap »

Offline Mixermap

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:41:30 AM »
PS.: when I say "virtually free" I do mean it!

When owned by Emagic, Logic required a dongle to work (crackable, but in 2002 finding those things wasn't quite as easy as nowadays).
Apple removed the copy protection and just required a code for activation (easily passed on among friends...)
...BUT REQUIRED A MAC!

Let's be honest, Apple is hardly going to be worried about sales of Logic!!!

Now we are at this stage: (see pic) :D

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:00:22 PM »
thank you to the both of you for adding your commentary ;)

Offline G40

• new to the site
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »
Quote: "Edit#3 : I think what happened with Cakewalk is happening to other DAW's as well at the moment. I've been using StudioOne for awhile, but I dropped out at v3. It's to much ... you are supposed to be able to do everything ... yet end up getting nothing done."

You are correct 100%
From my experience of teaching Music Production at University for 15 years, I have seen the change.
When I first started lecturing in 2002 students were making music. By 2017 they are now collecting plug-ins and never finishing any tracks.

This is much more of a problem in Dance / Electronic Music but even Rock music is affected.

Hello, first post, and I want to agree with this point of view. I started making music with a PC in 1998. A cheap Celeron PC running Windows 95, Cakewalk 6.0 and a fitted with a basic Creative soundcard. I'd had Portastudios and other bits and bobs before, but the possibilities offered by this setup were inspiring. I made music!

As time has passed I've found making music with computers less and less fun. Too many possibilities and too much fiddling about. Not to mention the distraction of the internet!

In the intervening period I've had all types of music making setup, from returning to a 4 track and a guitar, to modern DAWs and even an analogue studio built around a 16-track 2" tape machine. I've also messed about with Ataris and Amigas, MIDI only macs running Cubase, 8 bit stuff, Game Boys and C64s.

I'm here because for me that first PC was the most inspiring setup I had. I'm currently in the process of setting up a small setup for making electronic music. At the heart of it will most probably be an old copy of Cakewalk, running on a non-networked PC.

If I can drag myself out of the studio, I may post here to ask for help and advice!  :)