Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: icecool's Akai FAQ page  (Read 4456 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Can I make my own AKAI format CDs?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »
Can I make my own AKAI format CDs?

A) Yes! You can create your own AKAI CD-ROMs, but you'll need a few things: firstly a correctly installed CD-Recording unit (any kind or brand should work fine), next a 540MB AKAI formatted HD with the stuff you want to master on your CD and a little program called DISK2FILE, but you can do without it if you have a CD-Recording software with the option to create ISO images from RAW SCSI devices: this is what DISK2FILE does, it converts any type of OS formatted SCSI media in a DOS ISO file ready to be written to your CD or be compressed for storage. You can find this software through a link on my AKAI page. Ok, once you have your AKAI formatted HD hooked up to your CD-R SCSI chain to your PC and have installed DISK2FILE, you can launch it and select the ID of your AKAI HD. Now make your ISO image by selecting DISK2FILE mode and clicking on read. ONe note is to be made here: most CDr softwares want to detect a valid block size when opening the ISO file so you will need to manually check that the total selected sectors in the DISK2FILE window are a multiple of 2048. If the total sectors aren't perfectly dividable by 2048 then trim the end sector amaount in order to reach this multiple (don't worry you will not loose data when reducing the end sector by a few bytes - you will never reach the exact end anyway). Once finished making the ISO image of your AKAI HD or any other removable media (ZIP, JAZ etc) you can launch your CD-r software. The options may vary depending on the software you have, but you should find something like "burn CD from ISO image" or "create CD from external image". It will then ask you where the ISO file is located so just select your new file and you're ready to go!. Click on make CD (burn) and you should be creating your first home made AKAI CD! Just one note: if you have a HD or removable media that is larger than 510MBs, the surplus will be wasted space (not indexed by AKAI), if you have one smaller than 510MB, you will only be able to create a CD of that same size, without the possibility of appending other sessions - AKAI CDs are all MODE 1 and not multisession. To be more precise, they are just the "dump" of what you have on your HD or removable media on a CD - the AKAIs (up to the CD32000XL) do not know the difference between a CD or HD or ZIP, they just load data in 512b/s blocks and use the standard SCSI-1 commands to access the device(s).