Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Beginner Tutorial (Hardware Setup)  (Read 4230 times)

Offline hageir

• Z80 & 68000
    • View Profile
Beginner Tutorial (Hardware Setup)
« on: March 31, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »
Hi guys (ChrisNova; I know you from VSE since many years ago :) )

I'm feeling very inspired by the 'limits' of older MIDI and I just want to do some straight up sequencing in a funky, albeit nice environment. I'm fully used to older computers (started in MSDOS in the 90s and on the Mac side; OS 8.2).

I have a working Yamaha C1 Music Computer (Laptop) with 8X MIDI INs & OUTs -with EVERYTHING; bag, manuals, CAPI, VAPI & SAPI drivers, diskettes Voyetra Sequencer Gold Plus) an old serial ball-mouse and the lot! Damn the timing on that thing is CAPITAL F-U-N-K-Y!
(640x320 | 320x240 monochrome blue+white screen!)

I also run a Toshiba Satellite 480CDT with a TDK Digital Music Card (PCMCIA MIDI IN & OUT)
with Windows 95; I've used that mostly for SysEx editing (SY22, Matrix 6R)

Ok, those puppies are back home in Iceland and I live & work in Oslo, Norway now.

I'm thinking about what to choose regarding hardware?
I guess an old MIDI interface with the Mac serial port is the best way?
Which apple laptop? (how is it with upgrading to SSD?)

My main question is:
is it possible to run Opcode Vision (MIDI only Sequencer -no audio)
on a G4? What is the highest OS it can run on? I've read 8.6 but I've also seen 9.2?

Thanks a ton in advance,
I love this forum!!!

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: Beginner Tutorial (Hardware Setup)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
many users have reported using opcode Studio Vision Pro on os9.22
i personally choose to use 8.6 + lower spec machines because i figure its safer to use os that was
current when opcode when out of business, but you should be able to get everything to work on os9.22

i just got myself a v24s to run on my 386 with Sequencer plus, going to install it alongside my MQX-32m

Offline hageir

• Z80 & 68000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 02:32:30 AM »
many users have reported using opcode Studio Vision Pro on os9.22
i personally choose to use 8.6 + lower spec machines because i figure its safer to use os that was
current when opcode when out of business, but you should be able to get everything to work on os9.22

i just got myself a v24s to run on my 386 with Sequencer plus, going to install it alongside my MQX-32m

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!
Ok ok, got it!
I'll look into it :) (currently browsing the Macintosh timeline, finding one in the middle of OS 7 and 8)
Right now, I've found this Powerbook Duo 2300c which seems pretty cool, but actually, I wouldn't mind a true black/white/greyscale screen! LOL
Opcode does want the Serial/Geoport port, right? (i.e. it does not see any early Firewire peripherals?)

Yeah I do miss that Voyetra Sequencer, it is very cool. Congrats on getting that up and running!
So that card has SMPTE outputs?? How is the pulse signal straight from a computer?

ps. this is AWESOME:

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
i remember talking to you on another forum about your Yamaha C1!! you are lucky! but i have a 386 running Sequencer Plus with 4 ins + outs + i can add a few more if i get funky with my config files

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
to run vision you can use v3.0.6 i have it posted on my opcode files area here: http://www.oldschooldaw.com/opcode
all my opcode related files are available there