Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Reaper 6.XX on Windows 98  (Read 404 times)

Offline dawful

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Reaper 6.XX on Windows 98
« on: October 07, 2023, 12:31:24 AM »
Maybe this is already know; It was news to me. Reaper 6 works on Windows 98.

I've tried using the Reaper installer, to install the application, without any luck. It had an error writing a png file. Maybe this isn't an issue for anyone else? Can't imagine it is just me. If I use Linux/Wine to install the application (Portable), and copy it over, it works.

You could probably use a standard install, rather then portable, if you made a back up of any added/changed registry values. You'd also need to copy any files added to the Windows Directory. I didn't try this. Portable is fine for me; I don't need the Rewire or ReaAsio stuff (does not install in portable mode).

There are some quirks. I can't resize VST Windows. If you dock the VST you can access it's UI.

I did a quick render, of a simple tune, and it worked.

On my system, it didn't love ASIO4ALL (laptop internal audio). I only had audio inputs; where other ASIO clients have worked fine. But the ASIO driver for my USB worked perfect (input/output).

I do have KernelEx installed. I haven't tried with it disabled. If Reaper 6 works, 5 will also probably work. Certainly, some things are gonna be broken. Reaper 4, and earlier, install fine (from the installers).

Again, sorry if this was already know. I thought it was cool.

Offline dawful

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Re: Reaper 6.XX on Windows 98
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 12:44:19 AM »
It can be installed "directly" on Windows 98. I have a virtual "C:\Windows\Temp" folder. It was disabled, so I was just running out of temporary decompression space.

I've been working too much. Sorry, slipping a bit.