Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) proudly SSL-FREE! and serving vintage computers worldwide! if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration.

Author Topic: Reaper 6.XX on Windows 98  (Read 410 times)

Offline dawful

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Reaper 6.XX on Windows 98
« on: October 07, 2023, 12:31:24 AM »
Maybe this is already know; It was news to me. Reaper 6 works on Windows 98.

I've tried using the Reaper installer, to install the application, without any luck. It had an error writing a png file. Maybe this isn't an issue for anyone else? Can't imagine it is just me. If I use Linux/Wine to install the application (Portable), and copy it over, it works.

You could probably use a standard install, rather then portable, if you made a back up of any added/changed registry values. You'd also need to copy any files added to the Windows Directory. I didn't try this. Portable is fine for me; I don't need the Rewire or ReaAsio stuff (does not install in portable mode).

There are some quirks. I can't resize VST Windows. If you dock the VST you can access it's UI.

I did a quick render, of a simple tune, and it worked.

On my system, it didn't love ASIO4ALL (laptop internal audio). I only had audio inputs; where other ASIO clients have worked fine. But the ASIO driver for my USB worked perfect (input/output).

I do have KernelEx installed. I haven't tried with it disabled. If Reaper 6 works, 5 will also probably work. Certainly, some things are gonna be broken. Reaper 4, and earlier, install fine (from the installers).

Again, sorry if this was already know. I thought it was cool.

Offline dawful

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Re: Reaper 6.XX on Windows 98
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 12:44:19 AM »
It can be installed "directly" on Windows 98. I have a virtual "C:\Windows\Temp" folder. It was disabled, so I was just running out of temporary decompression space.

I've been working too much. Sorry, slipping a bit.