Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: "Master Tracks PC" for DOS (1987) 64-track MIDI sequencer *DOWNLOAD*  (Read 6504 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info

the ibm pc DOS version of master tracks pro was referred to as "Master Tracks PC"
Master Tracks PC 64-track MIDI sequencer

Master Tracks PC

Master Tracks PC, from Passport Designs, is distinguished primarily by a friendly user interface and a logical layout. Menu options are clear and easily accessible, and context-sensitive help is informative and to the point. Despite the fact that Master Tracks PC has 64 tracks and many professional features, it has some surprising deficiencies.

Master Tracks PC is a hybrid of a modular sequencer, sucb as Texture, and a standard tape deck-style sequencer. As with Texture, you create songs by recording multitrack sections (called patterns)  separately and linking them sequentially may find it difficult to figure out the basics.  The tutorial helps, but a greater consistency in command style would be even more helpful. Though the program is unwieldy on the surface, there is a lot of power underneath. We look forward to seeing Version 2.0. 

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:24:20 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline mwgilbert2

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Re: "Master Tracks PC" for DOS (1987) 64-track MIDI sequencer *DOWNLOAD*
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 01:14:27 PM »
Hi, and thanks for posting this. I'm a composer, and have some old files from the 80's created with Master Tracks PC. I'm having trouble running the software in various emulators. No matter the configuration, it keeps throwing timeout errors and will not play. I'm wondering if you have a manual or any other documentation, as my memory regarding how it was set up is incomplete :)

Thanks,

-MWG
mwg@mwgilbert.com
http://www.mwgilbert.com

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 01:13:03 PM »
im very much not in the emulation camp

im very much in the camp of "load it up on a computer from the time period it was released" kind of guy

in 1987 it would have run on the most  weak dos computer you can think of
either an 8086 or 8088 most likely, or Early IBM computer

i think the 80286 was brand new in 1987?

Offline ultramars

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »

i think the 80286 was brand new in 1987?
IBM PC AT was released three years prior:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer/AT

But this was high end computing: in 1987, PC XT were at most becoming affordable 2nd hand, so a midi hobbyist musician would have used that most likely, if any PC at all, considering the price of midi interface for PC vs its presence as standard on an atari ST. Well, that's my 2 eurocents guess ;)

80286 processor was released in 1982: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80286
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80286

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 11:32:07 PM »
me personally i think i was still using a 8088 or 8086 in 1987 even if the 286 was released it was very high end at the time and not common place! Tandy 1000 or Ibm PC jr were far more prevalent back around that time.. i think i was using a Tandy 1000 HX at the time

Atari ST wasnt nearly as prevalent as the tandy.. in Ontario Canada where i lived