Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: 19" Motu Midi Timepiece AV (non-usb) (1996)  (Read 5967 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
19" Motu Midi Timepiece AV (non-usb) (1996)
« on: December 09, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »

http://www.synthmind.com/MOTU_MIDI_TIMEPIECE_AV.htm

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,2032
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jan97/motumtpav.html
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/motu-mtp-av

MIDI Timepiece AV Overview

Combine MIDI with ADATs, ProTools™, and video. The MIDI Timepiece AV takes our world-renowned MIDI Time Piece II and adds synchronization that you really need, like video genlock, ADAT sync, and word clock sync. Even Digidesign superclock!

Slave ADATs, Digidesign hardware or word-clock compatible devices to SMTPE and video. Drive your ADATs from your sequencer without an Alesis BRC™. Or control everything from an MMC controller like JL Cooper's CuePoint™. The MTP AV pulls it all together for stable, centralized, hassle-free synchronization and MIDI networking. For Macintosh®, Windows®, and stand-alone setups.

The MTP AV is also an 8x8 merger and router. You can merge any combinations of the eight inputs simultaneously to any combination of the eight outputs. Because the MTP AV's internal memory can be programmed from the front panel,the MTP AV is the perfect choice for live performance applications where fast and flexible MIDI patching is essential. You can take the MTP AV on the road because it can operate with or without a computer. The MTP AV can be set to change scenes in response to patch changes, allowing remote control from any MIDI controller.

The MIDI Timepiece AV takes full advantage of USB, giving you increased MIDI throughput, better timing accuracy, support for "hot-swapping" and plug-and-play expansion. Need to connect another sound module or synth? No problem. Just add another MOTU USB MIDI interface via a standard USB hub.
Feature Highlights
MIDI interface for Macintosh and Windows

MIDI Time Stamping (MTS) ready
    Stand-alone MIDI patchbay/merger/processor
    Synchronization for ADAT, digital audio, and video
    ADAT Sync Out, Word Sync Out, and Video Sync In
    8x8 MIDI merge matrix
    Programmable from the front panel*
    8 independent MIDI IN
    8 independent MIDI OUT
    128 MIDI channels
    128 scene, battery-backed memory
    Recall setups via MIDI patch change
    Includes software for Macintosh and Windows**
    Works with Alesis LRC(tm) remote control unit

* Support for Modifiers and Patches not included.

** Support for Base Setups, Modifiers or Patches not included.

Networking

USB connectivity allows you to add as many independent MTP AV, MIDI Express XT and micro Express interfaces as your computer system can handle.

Network 2 units for 16 MIDI IN and OUT and 256 MIDI channels via 8-pin network port *
    Fully network-compatible with MTP I and MTP II *
    Network units up to 1,000 feet apart *

* Networking only available under MacOS or Windows XP, however, Clockworks for Windows only supports editing the first device in a network.

MIDI and Sync
MIDI Processing

Merge any inputs to any outputs
    Route any inputs to any outputs
    Mute any MIDI data on any cable
    Re-channelize on input and output

Synchronization

SMPTE time code (LTC) generater and reader
    Converts LTC to MIDI Time Code (MTC), ADAT Sync and word clock (1x or Digidesign 256x "Superclock")
    Converts MTC to LTC, ADAT Sync and word clock (or Digidesign "superclock")
    Genlocks to video or blackburst and converts to LTC, MTC, ADAT Sync, and word clock (or Digidesign "superclock")
    SMPTE "Jam Sync" for dropout-free sync
    Adjustable Freewheeling
    Supports all SMPTE frame rates (24, 25, 29.97 drop/non-drop, 30 drop/non-drop)
    0.1% pull-up/pull-down for digital audio with video Sync applications w/computer
    Stripe frame-locked LTC onto video tape
    Control ADATs with MIDI Machine Control (MMC) from sequencer or DAW software
    Varispeed ADATs and Digidesign ProTools systems while slaving them to LTC, MTC, or video
    Substitutes for Alesis BRC™ for synchronization and MMC transport control of ADATs
    Converts LTC to word clock or "superclock" just like the Digidesign SMPTE Slave Driver™
    Converts video to word clock or "superclock" just like the Digidesign Video Slave Driver™

Sync applications w/out a computer

Slave your ADATs to LTC
    Slave your ADATs to video via LTC
    Generate LTC and MTC while resolved to video
    Control ADATs with MMC (for example, Alesis LRC™ or JL Cooper CuePoint™)

Specifications

Custom-designed VLSI technology
    Proprietary high-frequency phase engine
    Internal Power Supply (switchable 115V - 220V)
    16x2 backlit LCD display
    4 programmable front-panel knobs
    Status lights for MIDI IN/OUT, SMPTE and Networking
    2 pedal inputs for continuous pedals or switch pedals
    Front panel MIDI IN and OUT ports
    Panic button
    1 IEC power connector (115-220V)
    2 SMPTE quarter-inch phone (+4/-10, hi-z)
    2 pedal quarter-inch phone inputs (configurable for switch, continuous, or Alesis LRC)
    1 Word Clock Out BNC TTL (1x or 256x)
    1 Video In BNC 75-ohm terminated
    1 USB port
    1 Mac mini-DIN 8 serial
    1 Mac/Network mini-DIN 8 serial
    1 ADAT Sync Out 9-pin "D"
    16 MIDI connectors
    Chassis dimensions, excluding rack ears and front and back panel knobs and connectors: 19 × 7 × 1.75 inches (48.26 × 17.78 × 4.45 cm). Knobs and connectors extend up to 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from front and back panels, adding 1 inch (2.54 cm) to depth. Fits standard 19 inch (48.26 cm) rack at 1U high.

Installing MOTU MIDI interface Drivers in Windows 98/ME

Click on Start > Settings > Control Panels, and double click Add New Hardware. In the first window click on “Next”. In the second window select “No, device is not in list” and then click on “Next.” ... you'll be prompted to search for drivers. Hit next, windows will search for drivers... select "No device is not in list."
    The next window will offer a list of different types of hardware to install. Scroll down the list and select “Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.” Then click on next.
    In the next window, Windows will list a number of manufacturers. Because Mark of the Unicorn is not listed, simply click on “Have Disk.”
    Insert the driver disk or browse to the folder containing the expanded download. Click “OK” and at the next prompt click on “Finish.”
    Confirm the IRQ setting and Base Address or Port and click on “OK.” That's it. The driver is now installed.

When installing a MIDI Timepiece AV (MTP-AV), a MIDI Express XT, a Micro Express, a Pocket Express or a PC MIDI flyer, you will then get a prompt to perform an auto setup. If you get a no reply from the interface it is important to confirm that the communication mode of your LPT port is set to EPP or bi-directional. This setting is established in the BIOS of your system. Your computer manufacturer can walk you through these settings if you are unfamiliar with BIOS.

You will also need to check what IRQ the LPT port is set for. Our drivers require that LPT1 is set to IRQ 7. You can check what other device may be using the same IRQ by going to the System Control Panel, click the Device Manager tab, and double-click the Computer at the top of the list. Make sure that there isn't another device set to use IRQ 7.

We've found that legacy devices like sound Blaster cards cause problems with MIDI interfaces. In the system control panel/device manager, disable any legacy emulation setting for your sound card and/or disable any "Legacy drivers" that your sound card may install (labeled "legacy" or "dos" or "emulation"). To disable a driver, right click on it and choose "disable". Typically disabling legacy emulation will not affect the sound cards operation in windows.

ECP printer port drivers are not compatible with MIDI under 98/ME. Use the normal Printer driver for the LPT port. To check whether or not you are using the normal driver, go to the device manager and click down on the ports list. Your LPT should read "Printer port (LPT 1)" rather than "ECP Printer Port (LPT1)". To update the drivers select the ECP printer port and choose properties. Hit the drivers tab and the "update drivers" button. Choose "No" for auto scan, next and "show all drivers". You should see a "Printer Port" driver on the RH side. If not, use your windows CD to install the driver.

Some network cards can cause problem with MIDI interfaces. If you've done all the steps above and still have a problems, try disabling items listed under "network adapters" in device manager.

Switcher boxes and copy protection dongles can also interfere with the scan. For troubleshooting, remove these devices.

Mark of the Unicorn has been diligently investigating compatibility issues between the MIDI Timepiece AV and Windows 98. A symptom that some of our users have experienced when working with this combination is that the MTP/AV driver will successfully load, but upon reboot, only two MIDI ports appear in the Multimedia Control Panel: MTPAV Out All, and MTPAV Out ADATs. We have recently discovered two possible ways to work around this issue until we have an updated driver available.

Installing the MTP/AV drivers under Windows 98
1. Open the Add New Hardware Control Panel, and start the Add New Hardware Wizard by clicking the Next button. Windows 98 will automatically scan for Plug and Play devices, so you must click Next on the next Window that appears.

2. Once Windows has finished searching for Plug and Play devices, answer “No, the device is not in the list.”, and click the Next button.

3. Answer “No, I want to select the hardware from a list.” in the next Window, and click Next.

4. Select “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list that appears and click Next.

5. Press the “Have Disk” button in the next window.

6. Insert the floppy disk containing the MTP/AV driver, and click OK in the next window.

7. Make sure that the MIDI Timepiece AV is selected in the next window, and click OK.

8. Click Finish to install the MTP/AV driver.

9. Once the appropriate files have been copied into your system, a warning message about the number of active MIDI ports may be displayed. Click OK, this issue only pertains to Windows 95. You will then be asked to perform an Auto Setup to detect the correct settings for the MTP/AV driver. Click Yes. If the Auto Setup reports that it cannot find the MTP/AV, click OK, and then click the Reset button in the lower right hand corner of the driver window. Now perform another Auto Setup, and the driver should report a success.

10. Now select one of the two methods below.

Method One
Load the MTP/AV drivers as described above, but when prompted to Restart the PC, turn the power off on the MTP/AV. At the point that Windows initializes the MTP/AV driver, it will display an error message that indicates that the MTP/AV cannot be found. Turn the power of the MTP/AV back on, and click the Retry button on the error message. You should then see the green output lights of the MTP/AV blink in series. This will indicate that the driver has successfully initialized.

Method Two
Note: The procedure below will disable your internet access. If you use your PC to access the internet, connect to a network, or AOL, you will want to use the first method instead.

Open the Network Control Panel. You will see a list of installed Network components. Select any TCP/IP protocols listed here, and press the Remove button at the bottom of this Window. Once these have been removed, install the MTP/AV driver as described below. Watch the green output lights of the MTP/AV as the PC reboots. You should notice the green output lights of the MTP/AV blink in series. This will indicate that the driver has successfully initialized.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Motu Midi Timepiece AV (non-usb) (1996)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
anyone out there have experience with installing the MTPAV drivers on windows 98SE?

im having a problem where im only able to output to a channel called MTP:ALL or whatever
and the individual outputs dont show up inside Cubase 2.8, or Logic 2.5.7

im suspecting that the driver i have was dated 1996 and in some places March 1997
98SE wasnt out till 1999 so maybe something was changed thats causing it to not work properly..

maybe i need to look for a different version of the driver.

https://motu.com/techsupport/faqs/av98.html/
Mark of the Unicorn has been diligently investigating compatibility issues between the MIDI Timepiece AV and Windows 98. A symptom that some of our users have experienced when working with this combination is that the MTP/AV driver will successfully load, but upon reboot, only two MIDI ports appear in the Multimedia Control Panel: MTPAV Out All, and MTPAV Out ADATs. We have recently discovered two possible ways to work around this issue until we have an updated driver available.

ok this is EXACTLY the problem im having now... im surprised to see that their fix is to remove TCP/IP protocol? that makes no sense!!!!!

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 12:55:44 PM »
ok so ive tried the above and it still is the case that i have only MTP ALL or MTP ADATs are the only two options for midi ports outputs on a channel inside software programs Cubase or Logic....

not sure what i can do except other than trying a different version of os (win95 or win3.1) or perhaps even the first version of win98 instead of SE.....

if anyone has any experience with this please enlighten me!
We've found that legacy devices like sound Blaster cards cause problems with MIDI interfaces.

this might be my problem.. i guess i should uninstall the Soundblaster cards that i have installed now and try again.

***update! SUCCESS!!
I had a combination of a VIBRA16 + and EMU8000 addon gold finch board taking up two ISA slots - after removing them and also disabling my network card in the device manager and rebooting a few times im now able to see all the channels listed in the cubase 2.8 MME setup (see photo)
this was on windows 98SE - the mtp AV works on windows 98SE

Offline Noise

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 03:03:14 PM »
Hi everyone, I'd really like to know the opinion from former/current Motu Midi Timepiece users on OS9.
I'm experiencing some issues (nightmares) with the communication between my MOTU MTP AV (parallel, not USB, firmware 1.2.0) and one of my computers (Power Macintosh G3 minitower).

I installed all the right drivers in the (supposedly) correct order (I'd like to use mainly OMS since I want to work with Pro Tools LE 5.1), this means, first OMS 2.3.8, at first it recognizes the interface generically but after choosing the "add drivers manually" or something like that, it recognizes the MTP AV without problem, showing the Motu icon and stuff and all ports reacting correctly during the tests.

Then FreeMidi 1.48, also without problem, I choose the "use OMS" option, etc. But, when I try to open Clockworks (version 1.0.7) and... well, it said there was a problem with the communication between Clockworks and the interface and suggested to disable the direct connect option on the interface (it already was) and checked the cable (tried 2 different cables and still the same).

This happened while the interface and OMS are working at 1x, when you tried the FAST mode, then it showed the "loading data" message like it was attempting to get the data from the MTP but it instantly freezed and you had to restart the computer.

Then, an user on another forum told me I should try replacing the CR2032 battery and, indeed Clockworks could stablish a normal connection with the MTP and I was able to configure everything from there. I was happy I had found the way to make it work...then after some time I had to reset the G3 to its factory settings, installed all needed stuff again and... same problem, now even with the new battery, no matter what I do, every time I try to open Clockworks, the result is always connection problem, connection problem, connection problem... I can't believe it does not work even doing THE SAME thing I had done before and worked. I think I've lost all hope because this does not make any sense to me...

I'm having nightmares with this, maybe some good samaritan could help? Thanks a lot in advance!

Offline smilesdavis

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 04:07:31 AM »
thats weird indeed

the cmos in the motu should have done the trick getting rid of ch 6 errors

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 08:10:03 PM »
i have my MTP AV PARALLEL working on windows 10 32bit works fine with the xp driver

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 19" Motu Midi Timepiece AV (non-usb) (1996)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 02:08:34 AM »
here are the two downloads MOTU Is offering for the Midi Timepiece
(its confusing as its listed under the USB version)

see the official instructions here
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,7598.0.html