Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: yamaha CBX-D5 (1992) 4 track "digital recording processor"  (Read 12594 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
yamaha CBX-D5 (1992) 4 track "digital recording processor"
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »

yamaha cbx-d5 (1992) 4 track digital recorder
originally intended to be usd with either an atari or a macintosh computer
but later compatible with ibm setups aswell

The CBX-D5 is controlled by a computer that is running CBX-D5 supporting software.
All audio data processing takes place inside the CBX-D5, so there is very little demand on
the controlling computer. For this reason the CBX-D5 can be used with some of the less
powerful, less expensive computers such as the Apple Macintosh SE/30, Classic II, and
LC; and the Atari ST/STE. It also leaves the computer free to get on with other jobs such
as processing MIDI sequence data and screen updates.
The CBX-D5, computer, and hard disk are all connected as part of a SCSI daisy chain. The
SCSI connection carries audio data between the CBX-D5 and hard disk for recording and
playback, and also control data from the computer to the CBX-D5. A MIDI connection
between the CBX-D5 and computer carries continuous controller information for
real-time volume, EQ, and pan control of the CBX-D5’s digital mixer.

YAMAHA CBX-D5 DIGITAL RECORDER
Yamaha CBX-D5 Digital Recorder
While other hard-disk recording systems waxed and waned, Yamaha quietly and industriously developed their own 4-track system. Now the CBX-D5 is almost upon us, have Yamaha taken heed of the lessons of the marketplace? Mike Barnes finds out in this exclusive preview.

manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=hu&site=hu.yamaha.com&asset_id=2571

mac soundmgr:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=624.0

windows drivers: V1.85 for Windows Me/98/95 V2.00 for Windows XP/2000/NT4.0
http://web.archive.org/web/20030411093807/http://www.yamaha-xg.com/utility/index.html

connected to atari for use with cubase

connected to mac for use with digital performer

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: yamaha CBX-D5 (1992) 4 track digital recorder
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
&feature=youtu.be

Offline smilesdavis

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Re: yamaha CBX-D5 (1992) 4 track "digital recording processor"
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 10:02:27 AM »
YAMAHA: Also mentioned in the May '92 Mac Notes was Yamaha's CBX-D5 (previewed in this issue), which gives a Mac (except the basic Plus/Classic) the ability to simultaneously record two, or play back up to four, digital audio tracks from hard/optical media. The first non-NuBus design, the D5 connects to the Mac's SCSI and serial port. The latest news is that Digital Performer and Cubase Audio will still be the only two applications available for the first year of the D5's life, though they will include DSP functions not available on any other versions of those programs using NuBus-based tapeless recorders.

Unfortunately, the D5's release date has been put back from the end of this year to "early next year", though I'm told this is not due to problems, but the "last minute implementation of some extra powerful features" — can't say any more than that, I'm afraid. See Mike Barnes' article on p138, however. Other Yamaha/Mac news is that a MAXplay editor is now available for the £349 TG100, a tone module that includes a built-in Mac interface.

Offline smilesdavis

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 10:03:29 AM »
nice use of a Lacie stöl chassis.

Offline Shredder11

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 05:15:52 PM »
I had a CBX-D5 for one of my two Falcon 030 years ago.  Even though I had a legit copy of Cubase Audio 2.o6 and dongle, it took forever to hunt down the specific v1.1 that only worked with the Yamaha (attached to this post), and the dongle would not work with that so it had to be a cracked one.  Very cool audio interface and built like a tank! It oozed high grade professional gear.  I did not manage to find another one at a reasonable price, and I sold everything eventually.  I have uploaded everything I have for installing the CBX-D5, along with all the user manuals etc.  Two installer archives inside that you can try but I think the one marked "WORKING" is the right one.

Offline GL1zdA

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 04:45:00 AM »
Sound on sound reported that the CBX was supported by Cakewalk: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/midi-audio-pc-steinberg-cubase-emagic-logic-audio-cakewalk-pro-audio
But I can't find any information confirming this. Can anyone tell me, if this was true? Or maybe there was some supported planned, but they dropped it?

Offline dawful

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 09:19:59 PM »
I looked though the hardware files included, with Cakewalk PA 5 and 9, and I didn't see anything. I also found no evidence, of support, for the other devices listed in that review.

After the Windows drivers are installed ( maybe -> http://web.archive.org/web/20030411093807/http://www.yamaha-xg.com/utility/index.html) I'm not sure what more would be required. The included audio profile file has no mention of it. But audio hardware profiles can be generated.

Could it have something to do with DirectShow (directsound) support? I read, elsewhere, one of the devices gave instructions to select the DirectShow driver listing, in Cakewalk, as opposed to the other listings for the device. It may have nothing to do with it.

I feel like I must be missing something. Probably just that I never used audio recording hardware, that old (only midi).