Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: PowerBook G4 Serial Port idea (Cardbus)  (Read 3642 times)

Offline hageir

• Z80 & 68000
    • View Profile
PowerBook G4 Serial Port idea (Cardbus)
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:47:04 AM »
I replied to this ancient thread over at MacOS9Lives, just to realize it was a post in the marketplace hehe
This might actually work, here it goes:
Has anybody tested Jamport to Powerbook?
http://alexhixon.com/projects/jamport/powerbook-g4.html

I've been looking into this for my PowerBook G4 15"
Instead of going for the debug port on the motherboard
or possibly wiring a Mini DIN 8 Pin to Modem RJ11 cable and using the modem port (which I haven't found proper info if it is truly serial or USB based?)
what about utilizing the Cardbus (PCI) Slot?? ;)

+

Has anybody tried this combination out? 8)

I have a TDK Music Card (PCMCIA) with MIDI IN & OUT for my Toshiba 480CDT and that works flawlessly...

-Geiri

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: PowerBook G4 Serial Port idea (Cardbus)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:19:56 PM »
i dont think anyones really tried it out yet.. id be curious myself.. ive always wanted to try to do something similar in a g3/g4 with a generic serial pci card

is that a pic of the TDK music card thing?

http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/PCMCIA%20Sound%20Cards/

the pcmcia music cards are harder to find into on definately having been popular only during the mid 90s and usually being quite costly

Offline hageir

• Z80 & 68000
    • View Profile
Re: PowerBook G4 Serial Port idea (Cardbus)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:12:21 AM »
i dont think anyones really tried it out yet.. id be curious myself.. ive always wanted to try to do something similar in a g3/g4 with a generic serial pci card

is that a pic of the TDK music card thing?

http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/PCMCIA%20Sound%20Cards/

the pcmcia music cards are harder to find into on definately having been popular only during the mid 90s and usually being quite costly

Yeah that's the one, came in the box with the full package hehe
I used a SY22 editor for WIN95 and I also used Freq Monster 801 because that 480CDT has an internal OPL2 soundcard :)
I haven't tried using it as a sequencer though (i.e. the timing on the TDK; haven't looked into that)

But since PCI/PCMCIA is parallel I wonder if that has any effect on timing?
Or would it have rock solid, direct communication with the CPU?

What happens when you go from PCI Slot to Serial Card -> Opcode MIDI Interface?

One of the G5 towers I got a couple of days back has this humongous SCSI or DB25 card in it (frankly I don't know what it is, it's the physically longest/largest connector I've ever seen haha)
LOL