Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Cannot open this Studio vision file with any version of Opcode I have...  (Read 4341 times)

Offline xeenmusic

• new to the site
    • View Profile
I am going through some old data to archive for a friend of mine back in the early 90s.
We have been able to open and convert all of the files to midi format except for a single one.

His Macintosh was installed with Studio Vision version 1.5.
(We unfortunately cannot get this running because it says that the program has expired and we no longer have the discs).
We installed the more recent demo which was linked to from this site and this is not able to open it (though it can open others). Either way, it would not let you convert it to midi because of being a demo if it did.
We downloaded the windows version from here and this is also able to open all files except this one.
We do not have a more modern Macintosh to install and test if a more modern version will work, and some other versions we downloaded here will not install properly on the old Mac.

The Macintosh registers the file as a "MIDS" with the program being "MIDA" and gives a proper Studio Vision Opcode icon.

I am going to post it here to see if anyone can do anything with it. At this point we don't even know what the track actually is. But we would like it to be converted into midi format. (If any channels are muted in the original project, please make sure these are unmuted and please let us know what those are if that happens to be the (unlikely) case.)

NOTE: I did notice that none of the uploads available have Studio Vision Opcode version 1.5. If someone is interested, I could see if I could upload the files still installed on the Macintosh even if I no longer have the disks themselves.

Thank you,
Andrew

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
i have 1.4 installed on my performa but my studio is ripped apart atm

therse a guy on my facebook that converts files for people
his name is "Nick Dynice" do a search for him on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ndynice

Offline xeenmusic

• new to the site
    • View Profile

Thank you for the reference. I tried to contact that individual awhile ago. But I never received any sort of response.
Are there any other options?

Offline xeenmusic

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot open this Studio vision file with any version of Opcode I have...
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 05:21:42 AM »

I forgot about this file for almost a year... Anyhow, I never heard back from that guy. Is your work station up that you could check it out for me?

It was originally created on a Macintosh on 1991-06-18.

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: Cannot open this Studio vision file with any version of Opcode I have...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 04:07:08 PM »
i could open the file yes but then what would you want me to do with it?
convert it to a normal midi file? i dont realy have experience with converting old files