Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: converting old cubase files  (Read 9839 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
converting old cubase files
« on: August 06, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115000075750-Converting-Cubase-VST-songs-ALL-ARR-into-CPR-format

files Dated (April 2006)
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SE_3/Cubase_SE_3_VST_Song_Conversion/
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SE_3/Cubase_SE_3_VST_Song_Conversion/PC/Cubase_SE_3_03_Installer.zip
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SE_3/3.0.3.658/PC/Update_CubaseSE_3.0.3.658.exe
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SE_3/Cubase_SE_3_VST_Song_Conversion/Mac/SE3.02_Cd_Installer_Mac.dmg
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SE_3/3.0.3.658/Mac/Cubase_SE_3.0.3_Updater.dmg

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SL_3/Cubase_SL_3_VST_Song_Conversion/
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SX_3/Cubase_SX_3_VST_Song_Conversion/

The Cubase song and arrangement formats .ALL and .ARR used by Cubase Atari versions up to Cubase VST 5 for Windows and Mac have been replaced by the current project file format .CPR with the introduction of Cubase SX 1, Cubase SL 1 and Cubase SE 1 in 2001.

Cubase SE 3, Cubase SL 3 and Cubase SX 3 are the last versions that are capable of importing the classic Cubase song formats. Therefore, they can be used as format converters.

If you have a compatible license, you can use one of the Cubase versions available here to convert your .ALL or .ARR files into the .CPR format. When deciding for a Cubase version as the converter, the project compatibility needs to be considered. In case of doubt, Cubase SE 3 is the best choice, since project files converted with this version provide the best possible compatibility with later Cubase versions.

Please note that Cubase SE 3, Cubase SL 3 and Cubase SX 3 date back to 2004. We cannot provide support for these versions anymore. Installing and using legacy software on current machines and operating systems can entail various problems. In general, Windows systems are less complicated in this regard.

Hint for Mac users: Cubase SX 3, SL 3 und SE 3 are PPC-based (PowerPC) versions which have been developed for Macs fitted with IBM processors (G3, G4). On Intel-based Macs it was possible to run PPC programs using the so called Dynamic Binary Translator 'Rosetta' up to Mac OS X 10.6. Rosetta was included in Mac OS X until 10.5, on Mac OS X 10.6 it had to be installed manually. When working with older Mac OS X versions, make sure that a compatible eLicenser Control Center (formerly named Syncrosoft License Control Center) is installed.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=230

Cubase SX3 / SL3 / SE3 can be run with your current Cubase licenses and allows you to import VST projects, save them in the new *.cpr format and open them in current Cubase series. These are not officially supported under current Windows OS but should install and run just fine under Windows Vista / 7 / 8.

Please note that on the Macintosh Platform; Cubase SX3 / SL3 / SE3 are PPC based versions and the latest Mac OS to run PPC applications is OS X 10.6.
For Mac installations please be sure to install the eLicenser Control Center for Mac OS X 10.5 (PowerPC and Intel based), 10.6 and 10.7, which can be downloaded here: http://download.elicenser.net/downloads/Archive/eLC_6.3.6.1098/eLicenserControl.dmg

cubase se3 requirements:
http://web.archive.org/web/20051125081738/http://www.steinberg.de/displaydoc_sb_se3_sysreq_eu.html

cubase se3 info page:
http://web.archive.org/web/20051124043853/http://www.steinberg.de/ProductPage_sb_se3_eu.html

Music Creation & Production System

Cubase SE3 offers a budget-priced music production system for composing, recording, editing and mixing your music. Using professional audio technologies, Cubase SE3 features a 32-bit floating point audio engine, 24-bit/96 kHz recording, unlimited MIDI tracks and automatic plug-in compensation throughout the entire signal path. A plethora of audio and MIDI features, powerful editors and a complete set of effect plug-ins round off the impressive feature set. And with Cubase SE3, you’re using a system that’s compatible with all current Cubase products used in professional studios around the world.

Features:
48 Audio tracks and unlimited MIDI tracks
Professional 24/96 recording
Up to 16 VST instrument slots
5 insert effects and 8 send effects per channel
VST System Link and ReWire 2-compatible
VST audio and MIDI plug-ins included
Video thumbnail track for building your own video soundtracks
Technology and user interface based on award-winning music production software Cubase SX3/SL3
New in Cubase SE3:
New VST 2.3 audio engine
Fully automatic delay compensation for plug-ins
Enhanced user interface (same “look and feel” as Cubase SX3)
Platform-specific performance optimizations
Improved Hitpoint detection for tempo adjustments of audio loops
Drag & Drop of MIDI tracks directly into the Project Window
Extended Track Inspector with improved track parameter access
Many editing and workflow enhancements

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: converting old cubase files
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:15:34 AM »
i tried the above Cubase SE3 and no matter what i could not get it to load but i found this installer of Cubase SE v1.07 which is from 2 years earlier (2004?) and it seems to support .CPR files so im trying to test whether or not this is a suitable solution for people who cannot open the versions listed above

here is the link to the bin/cue CD image :
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9ta33iu6093op39/SteinbergCubaseSEv1-0-7.zip/file

and here is a link to the installer taken from the iSO:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qkdn985v6x0uis6/Cubase_SE_v1.07.rar/file

Macintosh version can be found here:
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/22587-cubase-se

both of these worked for me, im not sure if they worked because of my Elicenser on my machine
or if they jsut work all the time without any license dongle at all? maybe someone can confirm that for me?
i was able to install it just now on my Windows 7 64bit machine and it seems to work

Requirements:
PC/Windows
Windows XP Home or Professional
Intel or AMD CPU; 1.4ghz +
512MB RAM
Windows MME compatible sound card;
ASIO compatible audio interface required for low latency operation

Mac:
Mac OS X 10.3.9
Power Mac G4 1ghz minimum PowerPC Cpu required
512MB ram
Core Audio Compatible audio interface

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/how-to-convert-all-and-arr-files-into-the-current-project-format-cpr.html

How to convert ALL and ARR files into the current project format CPR
The Cubase song formats *.ALL and *.ARR used by Cubase Atari versions up to Cubase VST 5 have been replaced by the current project file format *.CPR with the introduction of Cubase SX 1, Cubase SL 1 and Cubase SE 1 in 2001.

Cubase SE 3, Cubase SL 3 and Cubase SX 3 are the last versions that are capable of importing the classic Cubase song formats. Therefore, they can be used as format converter.

If you have a compatible license, you can use one of the Cubase versions available here to convert your ALL or ARR files into the CPR format. When deciding for a Cubase version as converter, the project compatibility needs to be considered. In case of doubt, Cubase SE 3 is the best choice, since project files converted with this version provide the best possible compatibility with later Cubase versions.

found this link just now

Offline silkfield

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 12:50:31 PM »
Hello, do you know anything about getting old files from Atari Falcon with Cubase Audio to open on a PC with Cubase Studio 4? I downloaded Cubase SL3 to open the ALL files but nothing happens when I import. Thanks in advance.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 06:21:57 AM »
what os did u install on? you might need an actual windows XP os  (32bit) to install it on to have it work
and you might need SX3 instead of SL3

Offline RandomTestSubject

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 05:51:10 PM »
both of these worked for me, im not sure if they worked because of my Elicenser on my machine
or if they jsut work all the time without any license dongle at all? maybe someone can confirm that for me?
i was able to install it just now on my Windows 7 64bit machine and it seems to work

Hello and first post! Just wanted to confirm as an owner of the original Cubase SE (version 1) that no dongle is required, and it's the only version of Cubase that I am aware of that only requires a serial number. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows 10.

Offline Diehard

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 09:53:45 PM »
Chris you saved my ass :)

Thank you so much for the CuBase SE3 link

Downloaded  CuBase SE 3 for windows and it runs in my virtual machine on High Sierra, the VM routes the windows audio (ASIO) to my Mac's Core audio and plays back on my Audient id44...

SE needs no dongle and converts .all and .sng files from Mac

I am finally able to bring in ancient .all files and export the MIDI and tracks into Logic X. and even compare the project simultaneously in CuBase SE Windows and Logic Pro 10.3.3 on separate monitors. This is a game changer for me. If anyone needs the Windows 7 32-Bit VM with Cubase 3 SE loaded just PM me, you will also need a version of Parallels.

Offline Ronage

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 11:52:16 AM »
Hey everyone, i hope i can revive this thread. I downloaded the Cubase SE Version on this page (from link) but everytime i want to start it wants to do a check of the audio asio driver and then after that it keeps loading and then the loading screen disappears and the without error message cubase isn't opening.

Anyone has an idea what's wrong? I have Win 10 and tried all compatability options but no luck so far. Thanks.

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 03:13:28 PM »
I have Win 10 and tried all compatability options but no luck so far. Thanks.

Did you install SE in Windows 10 x64 safe mode (F8 at boot)?
Do you own an eLicenser USB dongle with a valid Cubase SE/SL/SX3 or Cubase 4+ licence?

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 08:10:33 AM »
pretty sure u would have to be running windows 10 (32-bit) version for it it work???
did u try it on windows 10 (64bit) ?

windows 7 (32bit) can also run alot of XP software that doesnt work on windows 7 (64bit)
hint hint nudge nudge

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2023, 05:28:07 PM »
pretty sure u would have to be running windows 10 (32-bit) version for it it work???

Nope, I'm running legit Cubase SX, 6.5, 7.5 and 10.5 on the same Win10 x64 computer.

You just have to install SE/SL/SX in Windows safe mode because the installer hangs when trying to write to the Fonts folder otherwise.

I believe it's okay on Win7x64 too.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2023, 01:18:18 AM »
wow ok... im gonna have to investigate the hell out of this method now.... installing programs in safe mode...

im getting flashbacks from my windows NT sysadmin days in the 90s now... something i havent thought of in a very long time i guess since becoming a mac user...

https://www.google.com/search?q=install+programs+in+safe+mode+windows
https://www.howtogeek.com/164876/how-to-use-safe-mode-to-fix-your-windows-pc-and-when-you-should/

Windows 7 and earlier: Press the F8 key while the computer is booting (after the initial BIOS screen, but before the Windows loading screen), and then select Safe Mode in the menu that appears.
    Windows 8: Hold Shift while clicking Restart on the Power menu on either the login screen or through the Charms bar menu to begin the process.
    Windows 10: Hold Shift while clicking Restart on the "Power Options" submenu of the Start Menu. Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart. Press the "4" key when you see the Startup Settings screen.

i mean ya all 32bit apps should work in all x64 windows environments if u think about it logically.. but microsoft makes reality different lol i generally not a fan of the seperate program files directories.. and i have a million different computers so i tend to designate boxes 32bit OR 64bit and not both its been a long time since i was a 1 desktop machine does it all user

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/performance/compatibility-limitations-32-bit-programs-64-bit-system
the x64-based versions of Windows use the WOW64 subsystem to run 32-bit programs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64
In computing on Microsoft platforms, WoW64 (Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit) is a subsystem of the Windows operating system capable of running 32-bit applications on 64-bit Windows.[1] It is included in all 64-bit versions of Windows—including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, IA-64 and x64 versions of Windows Server 2003, as well as x64 versions of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019, Windows 11, Windows Server 2022, and Wine.[2] as well as ARM64 versions of Windows 10, Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022, except in Windows Server Server Core where it is an optional component, and Windows Nano Server where it is not included. WoW64 aims to take care of many of the differences between 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows, particularly involving structural changes to Windows itself.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 12:31:20 AM by chrisNova777 »