Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Metro 3.5 (mac)  (Read 5479 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Metro 3.5 (mac)
« on: December 24, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/19990501223343/http://edirol.com/music_equipment/audio_music_software/metro.html

i read that this product used to be called "Beyond" and was once sold/marketted by DR T's

Offline rasputin

• Loving this site since 2018!
    • View Profile
    • Crow Caw Music Works
Re: Metro 3.5 (mac)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
I was very fond of this product versions 3- 4 of which I used on my old Macs to do MIDI sequencing.
The copy protection was interesting; you needed to go to page 10 of the (brown covered) manual where the developer listed 43 names under "METRO Credits". When you started an instance of the program, it would present a window saying "Enter the name next to line [e.g.] 34 page 10 of the manual". Once you entered the name the program would run.
I eventually switched over to Opcode sequencers, Galaxy and Max but that's a story for another time.
If anyone needs that list of names to run an old copy of Metro, let me know and I'll scan and upload it.
tim p scott
making music with computers since before there were computers! (well, kind of: actually more like 1994-1995 or so)
Some favorite software: Opcode Vision/Max, Reason, Ableton Live.

Offline rasputin

• View Profile
    • Crow Caw Music Works
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 10:04:26 AM »
...in fact, for that matter, I am pretty sure I have old floppy disk (!?) copies of original media. The reason I picked Metro over Opcode stuff in my early Mac MIDI days was I was suspicious of the Opcode copy protection technique. I had a friend who swore by Vision and Galaxy and after a while I had to realize that their products were the best and I had to put up with what I considered an ugly copy protection method.
tim p scott
making music with computers since before there were computers! (well, kind of: actually more like 1994-1995 or so)

Offline rasputin

• View Profile
    • Crow Caw Music Works
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »
I was reminiscing about Metro to a friend (who apparently never got rid of any hardware or software he ever used, all the way back to the 1980s) and he pointed out that Jeremy Sagan is still developing and supporting it!

https://www.sagantech.com/

I bought a copy and found out to my surprise that it opened up almost all of my old Metro song files! Of course, I don't have some of those synths anymore nor the MIDI Time Piece which everything talked to, but it was a great bridge.

I started out buying the SE version since there are upgrade paths to all his higher level products. But apparently the SE version does everything I need, so your mileage may vary.
tim p scott