Operating Systems > Mac OS 9 (Oct 1999)

Setting up a new machine for cubase using Os9

(1/2) > >>

damo-blak:
Well I've wanted to get round to getting an old school mac setup for running Cubase for ages,
so ordered a grey/silver G4 1.25 system off the bay,I have loads of old sound cards around not sure what would be
the best one to use.I have a yamaha DS2416 also echo MIA and an RME Hdsp 9632.

So my plan is to stick some extra DDR memory in it first as its only 768 m/b,upgrade the HD etc.
its coming with leopard on it i think so i can install os9 from that i hope.

Any advice on setting it up/upgrading?,im hoping to use Cubase 4 and cubase se maybe,
i have a midex 8 for midi input/output,i've had osx systems for years so it will
be interesting to test midi out on Os9 to see if it performs well for my samplers
and sound modules.

I was using PC's when these Os9 machines came out,
always saw the old g4/G5 boxes back in the the day.

chrisNova777:
great idea + let us know how it goes  ;D 8)

damo-blak:
The MDD G4 machine has arrived in the post,its crashing like mad,im going to swap memory first as it says it has failed on a recent test,will strip cards out and clean the machine,got a lot of troubleshooting to get on with:),will report back later.Will try a PR ram reset too.

chrisNova777:
yea i had to replace memory in my mdd aswell back in the day
memory def causes lots of crashes if its gone bad or oxidation etc

G40:
Did you get anywhere with this? Have just bought a Digital Audio G4 and would like to get Cubase up and running, as well as a few other apps.

Similarly I used PCs in this era as I couldn't afford a modern macintosh - mainly Cakewalk/Sonar - a Mac always seemed to be what you needed for a stable Cubase VST setup, never had much luck getting it to run on my PC although I enjoyed Cubase Audio XT in a MIDI only role (am still using it now!)

At the time the word on the street was that MIDI timing was better on a Mac. Would be super interesting to compare MIDI performance over the various OSs...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version