Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Edirol FA-101 not recognized in OS9  (Read 1626 times)

Offline slowsounds

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Edirol FA-101 not recognized in OS9
« on: October 01, 2021, 10:24:59 AM »
Hello,

Based on the information at http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=9.0, I bought a second hand Edirol FA-101 to use with some audio software I'm testing on an iBook G3 (Dual USB) and Powerbook G4 (Titanium, DVI.) On both laptops, both running OS9.2.2, I've only had varying degrees of failure:

On the iBook, the FA-101 is recognized when running on bus power. System Profiler lists it under "Firewire" as "fwa02d, 10001", and the "FA-101 Control Panel" will launch and allow me to adjust buffer settings. The red "Firewire" light on the device lights up. However, no input or output devices are listed for the FA-101 in the Sound control panel, and no application will recognize it.

On the Powerbook, the red light lights up, but the FA-101 is not recognized at all when running on bus power. Upon launching "FA-101 Control Panel," I get an error indicating that the unit is not plugged in, and it is not listed under System Profiler. I'm also getting a clicking/buzzing sound from inside the laptop whenever I move the mouse pointer, or when there is disk/CPU activity while the unit is plugged in (based on some searching on the web, this seems to be a common problem with Powerbooks and Firewire.)

I have also tested powering the unit with a 9V 1A center negative DC adapter, and the results are identical, except that the red light will not light up with the Powerbook in this case.

I would appreciate any help or pointers as to what might be going wrong.