Author Topic: Protrekkr 2.6.2 Win32 RECENT & 2.5 Multi-Platform Excellence in Trackers!>>>  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Project5er

• Older Code, Cleaner Code
Was fumbling about & found that this Protrekkr 2.6.2 is an update from December 2021 so just a month ago!...

This is a windows only update all others are at 2.5x for Windows, Linux, Amiga OS4, AROS and Mac OSX...

This tracker has been improved over many years in which it had it's start from the late Arguru releasing the source code for NoiseTrekker 2. For what remains today there are TWO factions that used this code...

One- the two renoise developers used it to create Noisetrekker 3.2.2 which was free but then it became Renoise thereafter & been developed heavily even now it's so overloaded with features many you'll never use that I honestly don't know how anybody makes a tune in it...

Two-PROTREKKR!...Yup, this right here...Tweaking, righting wrongs, improving but remaining ALOT like the original Noisetrekker2 but able to run on modern machines as well. It shows as well as it has been polished with a toothbrush & buffing compound...

But UNLIKE renoise this is OLDSKOOL with a workflow of sample-based instruments along with very nice built-in FX & modulation via pattern effect commands...Let yourself be DRAWN IN!!!

Here's a short tune, nice as well it don't have to sound like a 'tracker tune'-
&t=62s

Has some nice built-in themes or carve your own-

I have included a copy of Arguru's NoiseTrekker2 as well...Hard to believe he has been gone since what 2007 or 2008? Major BRILLIANT coder responsible for so much going on even nowadays...

The Multi-Platforms are over here as well as the windows 2.5.4-

https://code.google.com/archive/p/protrekkr/

The WINDOWS ONLY 2.6.2 is over here-

https://github.com/hitchhikr/protrekkr/releases

I must THANK this developer for his work, which has been excellent!...

NOTE-The 2.6.2 version contains all the song modules but if you are downloading ANY OTHER VERSION you must also download the modules archive & unzip it to your modules folder for tunes 'to learn by'...There are some REAL GOOD ones in there too...

Another more lengthy Protrekkr cluster-

Offline Project5er

OK... recently finished creating 192 Protrekkr 2.5-2.6 Instruments (PTI)...

NOTE-

-These work in 2.5.4 or 2.6.2

-These are single WAV instruments as even though you can key-map a multi-sample instrument I did not see the need for it yet as I did not include any drums which are personal & most would want to key-map their own anyways & drums are small enough files to get away with being multi-sample key-map...However there are SOME loose perc-hits in the included instruments...

-Most are not looped some are but you change all that yourself to suit whatever the scenario...

-Some of the Instruments contain verbal profanity!...Let the meek be warned!!...

-Follow the yellow brick......ERR, this image to see what to do if you know absolutely nothing at all...

Offline Project5er

OK, Got bored so made more instruments (PTI)...125 of them in this go...

Offline Project5er

OK Here are some more instrument packs...

One is the continuation (or finishing of) The Jaco Fretless Bass instruments that I had started in the first pack with Jaco Staccato & Double Staccato...Slowed up by having to do some WAV processing on the others...

There is experimental 'soundscape' instruments that are very large for use or testing the extents of Protrekkr...

The rest self-explanatory......

According to my calcs & NOT including the original instruments that came with Protrekkr you should have 516 EXTRA instruments if you have not deleted any yet OR 544 including the original instruments that came with....

Check back as I am not done...I like to have a ton of instruments before I start & with Protrekkr you can simply Double-Click a new instrument while running to try a new sound on the current tracks pattern...

Since these are single-sample instruments it is also a breeze to do some quick work on the sample to make a shorter or mute instrument out of a longer one or insert a fade-in or fade-out then save to a new instrument name...

Offline Project5er

More is good I guess...So once again...

All these instruments were made using the Legowelt samples one could see at this post-

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,7300.0.html

This includes a collection of Basses & Synths...

I also compiled a couple Multi-Key-Split Drum Instruments for no reason at all...

If you haven't deleted any instruments yet you should now be at about 647 total including the originals...

Offline Project5er

Here we have 8 Drum or Percussion Multi Instruments with most using up all 16 key-split slots available...

One I believe all slots filled & complete Drum Kit under 700KB!!...Others OK with a few larger sized Multis...

I attempted to equalize all instruments by ear but change any aspect you wish be sure to save after...

Offline Project5er

Some more made...Not alot but who cares?...

Have 4 new Drum-Perc MULTis...A WaveDrum Multi, A Pots-Pans Multi, A Funk Drum Kit with plenty of different Snare Flams and lastly a Butt Snort Kit for the musical fruit oriented...

The other is just some various Synth Brass - String whatevers...

Offline Project5er

Reverb pretty important mostly...Protrekkr has real good reverb but the supplied presets are a bit overdone if you are looking to fatten the sound with a reverb 'tail' or make it sound more enigmatic by just a tad...

Nicely added reverb 'combs' or echos allows to tune it in a number of ways from subtle to wild...For most Peeps the low end with just a few echos going off in tight fashion is usually what is called for & it saves resources using less...Especially if you plan on using reverb on a number of tracks...

The 'DELAY' settings on the 'Reverb' Tab probably the most important then along with the 'DECAY' sliders...On the 'FX Setup' Tab the feedback will probably be the best to 'tune out' any overdone 'slapback' when using less combs on instruments that have a strong attack (this will require MORE feedback to blend properly)...

I have included as attachment 9 reverb presets I made if you wish some starting point...OR NOT!!!...

ADDITIONAL NOTE!!!-

So far have found 2 bugs in Protrekkr 2.5.4-2.6.2 Windows version...First is a random crash on selecting different instruments OR samples, secondly is NOT a crash but saving a reverb preset causes audio engine to disconnect completely...

The former seems to only happen on 2 different XP machines I have tested so far & last night I tried on a ASUS Transformer Netbook that has windows 10 64bit & after switching hundreds of instruments NO CRASH...

The reverb thing I just discovered on XP & haven't tried other yet...It is less serious as you can still save & relaunch...

Offline Project5er

More stuff...

Here are 138 Instruments made from the ProRec Synthsonic AKAI CD...These are from the 'Basses' folder and are VERY SMALL LOOPED Instruments that come in handy...

All 138 UnRARed only 4.15 MB in size...Gay them up with whatever DSP, Reverb, Flange, Delay, ETC file size on the cheap here...

There will be MORE of other types from this disc in near future...

Offline Project5er

Here are 100 Film-Type Instruments from the same ProRec Synthsonic disc...

These are small too but a bit bigger & also looped for space saving...Sorta like cheap old-skool sound FX...

Also are 2 Jews Harp MULTi split instruments...

Looks to me like I am over 1,000 instruments now...I'll have to see if I have missed uploading any...

Offline Project5er

Well, I got 1,130 Instruments now but looks like I haven't quite uploaded that many...Some sitting on desktop...

Here are 53 Guitar Instruments... 4 different play styles (Mute, Pull, Staccato, Sustain) in numerous timbres (Phase, Chorus, ETC)...

There are a few extra MISC guitar Instruments as well...

Offline Project5er

Here are some Brass-Horns from the East-West & Memphis Horns AKAI CDs....

There are a few misc in there too.....

Offline Project5er

Here is a big instrument 'push'...We got 169 Instruments here...

All types, numerous DX7 stuff, vintage pad, lead, etc...

Like anything else some Great, some Good, some Fair...

Offline Project5er

Friendly Tip for Protrekkr Users & Abusers....

Protrekkr can record up to 16 note lanes with polyphony for each track...

But using the QWERTY keyboard it'll only record one at a time...Well, if you only had 2 or 3 notes you can just do the ole' one note record then ARROW over to the next lane & record the second note of the triad, etc...

I have several actual MIDI Controllers but they are not sometimes handy or maybe no room for them at the time...

Virtual MIDI Controller is the answer (Well, if you are on windows)...

Hooking Protrekkr through it now you can bang out whole chords via step recording plus you can change upper-lower QWERTY ranges & a number of other things....But you gotta hit the keys at the same time...

No worries if your pattern is an even number & line skipping is an even number you just keep banging the keys as the pattern repeats itself you will eventually get them all...AND valuable practice.......

VMC LE is a limited free edition looks like it covers most what you would need-

You can get it HERE-

http://www.soundcosoftware.com/vmcle.html

But I am attaching an archive in case SoundCo goes SOUTH!...It is same untouched archive you get there...

Remember that it installs a VIRTUAL MIDI PORT thus you have to restart to be able to use the port...

Here a few infographics-

Hope that helps....Good for any other need as such...

Will be attaching some more instruments soon...

Offline Project5er

Some more PTI assembled here...

49 new pretty much short non-looped bass-guit-synth...I know there are already plenty, but these were pretty good for the size & a bit 'different'...

Then there are Doru's '50 Substitutes for s Snare'...These sounded pretty good too...

So 99 instruments in all this time...

Looking at my personal over 1,700 PTI I see I am WAY LOW on drums, last nite I spent several hours trying to find quality drums at smaller file sizes...Found some, Mostly some of the older M-Audio stuff, will process soon...

Offline Project5er

Looking about I see I did not upload some instruments I had made out of sounds from Cakewalk Rapture...

I have this old portable that sounds quite good so I made some PTI out of it...

Being an OLD Cakewalk fan it's hard to conceive it's not 'CAKEWALK' anymore...It's BlondLads, BlandLabs or whatever...WEIRD!

So am including the portable Rapture as well, maybe someone wants to make instruments out of it for Protrekkr or ANOTHER Tracker...

The portable comes with the standard presets array-

Nice sounds it makes & I made 72 PTIs out of it that sound quite good (I think...)

Offline Project5er

More Instruments made today...

-59 Vocoder Phrase Instruments...

-30 Drum Rolls Instruments from Doru

-21 Box Rattle Instruments from Doru

-15 Flexatone Instruments from Doru

So all percussion or vocal...

Offline Project5er

Just noticed I had some new PTIs sitting on desktop forgotten...

-50 Percussion FX from Doru PTI (Pretty Good)
-56 Vocoder Words PTI (same source as previous Vocoder Phrases)

Soon to make a video or two mostly for beginners...

Offline Project5er

Made a quick video that is OK enough...

Made with BEGINNERS in mind, experienced Tracker-Types would be bored...

To help promote Protrekkr usage for newbies...

Other vids to follow...

Offline Project5er

One more vid...

Covering example of the first video & also the volume column...

The next after will be about panning, pan automation commands, interpolation & live parameter recording...

Offline Project5er

Was makin' instruments earlier & found I was at 3,900+...So I made some more & now reached over 4,000....

Might be a record, for Protrekkr for sure, but maybe for all trackers a personal high score...Who cares anyway?

Offline Project5er

Over at KVR they had thread asking what is the fastest opening DAW...

My vote was for Protrekkr & on a 15 year old laptop 2.0 GHZ-

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
hey buddy i havent even looked at my own site in like over a month

Offline Project5er

You must be quite busy Chris!!...

Everything still going on here with the occasional passersby grabbing up archives & what-not...

Kinda like the peaceful spartan nature around here....

So nice to have you back Boss!!

Offline Project5er

Guess I'll try this again...

Here's a few smaller sampled instrument sets-

-19 Applied Acoustics String Studio PTI
-16 ReFX Slayer 2 PTI

Offline Project5er

Much Instruments done so I just upload some highlights...nothing large-

-29 Rhino2 Highlight PTI
-28 Devine Machine Krishna Highlight PTI
-20 VOXSynth Highlight PTI

As always use FX for enhancement...

Offline Project5er

After having been recently distracted into the whole ReBirth '303' Sound Sensation I decided to try Protrekkr's 303s as I had read in a changelog that the Dev had re-tweaked them to sound more like ReBirth's 303s...PRETTY CLOSE...

BUTT!!.....Found them to be way more versatile & detailed in practice as the combo of the Track & Global FX combined with the Two 303's parameter controls all automation ready with also distortion & 17 different filters you can get maddening different soundz & morphs...

Protrekkr is certainly the Tracker for the ReBirth Fanatic...

I am just starting the learning process on this...I am an INFANT!...More news later...

Offline Project5er

Well, I got to playing around with Protrekkr & the PTK-303s...So I made a crappy demo video...

You see, the COOL thing about Protrekkr is the DUAL 303s, the CSynth is STILL there & there is the time-stretch algo for loops as well...

In this vid I use ONE 303 & ONE Csynth in poly mode & One Bass Drum Instrument & One Snare Instrument...

All in ONE pattern for another ONE-HIT WONDER of the crap video series!!...Be in AWE!!

Offline 6track

• new to the site
It's interesting, but I like Reason more)

Offline Project5er

I am assuming you mean ReBirth as this really has no relation to Reason....

One plus with Protrekkr is that it is way easier to compose in & more options plus crap-ton of varied instruments (I have made over 4,300 now...)

ReBirth has somewhat better sounding 303s though....

Offline Project5er

BTFW & FYI....

The manual states to put an OFF command but did not work so I found another way to shut off 303's when needed...

I suppose I should attach the module that was in that last video so anybody can fart around with it...Put it in your modules folder, start Protrekkr then double-click it, play...PLAY!!!...Or NOT!.....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 07:27:02 AM by Project5er »

Offline 6track

• new to the site
The manual states to put an OFF command but did not work so I found another way to shut off 303's when needed...

By the way, in Reason I also sometimes use an empty pattern instead of stopping the device.