Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: SE/30 and Roland SC-88 Pro  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Macobyte

• new to the site
    • View Profile
SE/30 and Roland SC-88 Pro
« on: March 04, 2022, 10:17:02 AM »
Happy to join this site and make my first post! I am a vintage Macintosh collector and my favorite Mac is my SE/30, which has been recapped and restored and heavily upgraded. I will certainly use this site as a resource as I recently decided to explore doing more with music on this Mac, both listening and perhaps even creating.

Knowing that the onboard sound isn't great by today's standards and wanted something better but still period-correct, I looked to MIDI. I discovered this video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ipafuok_3Y) and was very intrigued with the creator's Roland SC-7's serial port for interfacing directly with a Mac. I looked at other sound modules, particularly the Roland Sound Canvas products, before narrowing-in on the Roland SC-88 Pro. I ordered one from Japan which arrived this week.

I modified the SC-88 Pro's power supply for 120v American current but unfortunately, I bought the wrong type of serial cable, lacking twisted pairs, for connecting my Mac and the Roland. So for now, no luck playing MIDI out, but the correct cables have been ordered and I'm thrilled at how the SE/30 and the SC-88 Pro look side-by-side.

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: SE/30 and Roland SC-88 Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 06:27:22 PM »
that looks awesome the clear se/30 wow id kill for that