Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Looking For DAW Software Comptable With Windows 98  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Braca862

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Looking For DAW Software Comptable With Windows 98
« on: June 10, 2022, 04:40:33 PM »
First off, I would like to say that I am new to this forum. I heard about it on Vogons. I hope this forum will help me what I am looking for.

I currently have a Windows 98 Dell PC with a Roland PC-200 MKII MIDI controller that is connected via MIDI to a Midiman 2x2 USB interface, which is connected to the computer via usb. I am looking for a DAW software that emulates syths, similar to what Aturia does. It can be boring using just general midi.

In addition, I have several ISO's of samplers from spectrasonics that I listen to using CDXtract. However, I would like to play those samples using my MIDI controller. Anyone know any software that can do that?

Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 04:59:42 PM by Braca862 »

Offline P5r

• View Profile
Re: Looking For DAW Software Comptable With Windows 98
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 04:59:53 PM »
Welcome...

Well, There's ALOT of soft on here that will work on Windows 98...but...BUTT!...The critical issue is how much RAM you have on it & secondly what is the SPEED of the CPU?

This would determine what is recommended for your setup...

What Spectrasonic ISO you have? I have most of them the old AKAI ones I usually just convert the format to whatever I am using it in...If I use DeltaSP or Orion then I convert them to SF2 using Extreme Sample Convertor...

If using in say Renoise then I convert to XRNI...For Cakewalk Dimension I convert to SFZ...Etc.ETC...

There's alot of old Sequencers-DAWs even Trackers that will utilize MIDI controllers...I have a friend who really likes Dreamstation because the synth part is good but she has a large MIDI Keyboard she uses in it...

Here-

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,7336.0.html

I just recently uploaded Synapse Audio Orion 3.8 on here which should work just fine in Windows 98 & is VST & DX has numerous internal synths plus sampler that loads soundfonts if you convert to SF2 once loaded then save in native format...

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,7391.0.html

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 05:21:18 PM »
Yesterday I tried uploading Arturia Storm 2.0 but the upload went corrupt so I'll have to try again...

Maybe you are interested yes uses MIDI Keyboard & good for Windows 98-

Probably have on here in day or two...

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 05:45:41 PM »
Also you might try Protrekkr 2.6...

If your machine has updated DirectX should work, no install required very light on resources...MIDI controller-Keyboard hooks right in with up to 16 note poly per track (you must select the amount)...

I have shared over 1,000 PTI instruments for it on here has all internal FX no messing with VSTs-

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,7302.0.html

Offline Braca862

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 05:47:47 PM »
Here are my computer's specs:

Dimension XPS T500
Windows 98SE
512 MB RAM
1 GHz
DirectX 9.0c

I have Spectrasonics Distorted Reality and Bizarre Guitar.

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 07:12:54 PM »
OK then well if you go on this thread there's several FL Studios & Fruity Loops that should work...If your system is enhanced you may be able to run version 5...If not there's a 4 & 3 there too...

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,7377.0.html

Aero Studio is pretty light & has native gear modules as well as VST-VSTi support...Is pretty easy you can audition using MIDI keyboard-

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,2053.0.html

Also your system good for EvoBeats Sequential Vibes...Tracker that has VSTi & VST-DX-DMO support & you can use MIDI controller...Has integrated sampler to make your own sample-based instruments...

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,7293.0.html

It's a very easy tracker to use...

All of these are 'clean' installs & don't try to sneak in or overwrite system files

Offline Braca862

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 12:07:45 PM »
I can use CDXtract to convert samples into wav files. Could you tell me which software you listed allows me to play wav files with my midi controller?

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 12:56:41 PM »
Well, All of them do but some are better/faster than others...

Some only take mono files but others take stereo or mono...Lets eliminate the mono only ones...(Dreamstation)

If Protrekkr will work on your machine then it is probably the most straightforward as it is portable as well...Put your WAVs in its sample folder & start-restart it should default to sample folder or you may have to navigate to it...Once you get to it then shut Protrekkr down & restart & it will default to the samples folder...

In upper right is where you select samples folder on the little 'S' on the bar...Double-click a WAV to load it...You can now play it on QWERTY or through MIDI keyboard (select the keyboard on the MIDI tab)...

Note at this point it will be mono only...So go to 'Track 1' tab at bottom & on right choose polyphony you want you can go up to 16 note poly per track which is way more than anybody needs...I usually choose 4 or 5...

Now you can play chords & crap...Now back to instrument tab...If your sample is tuned to 'C' you are good to go if it is anything else you need to adjust sample root note to reflect that...

Good to use 'tuningfork' playing in background for this so you can hear if it's the right pitch...on this thread-

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,7303.0.html

When done & still on instrument tab you should SAVE your instrument so you can reuse it...It will appear whereever the 'I' directory is at at upper right which should be the 'instruments' folder...If not navigate to the 'instruments' folder, shut down Protrekkr, restart then it will default to that folder...

Protrekkr had a number of FX to enhance sample instruments played through your selected track best to use them...I have some crappy videos I made on the Protrekkr thread you should download & watch...They are a bit farther down the page...

Offline Braca862

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 07:16:01 PM »
Can Protrekkr load a sampler CD directly or is there snother software that can do that? I played the wav files and I don't like how the sound doesn't fade in or out and I can't play more than one note at the same time.

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 08:35:45 PM »
That's what I was talking about that you have to go to Track 1 tab & bring your polyphony up to 4-5 or whatever THEN you can play chords...If your sample is very stark then turn up the reverb or the delay send it will sound much better...Push in the 'surround' button as well...Protrekkr will play up to 16 notes at same time that's 6 more than all your fingers pressing on the keyboard...

Once you learn a few tricks you'll have it all figgered out...This is the simplest way to do what you want since trackers are very sample based...

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 09:08:21 PM »
Here...I made a few images to assist...This covers what you had issues with-

For a stark sample you want to have a blend in & out you just apply a fade-in & fade-out to it...simple-simple-

Here's where you kick poly up for playing many notes at once-

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 09:32:22 PM »
One more & this ought to do you up...Just remember that these settings follow the TRACK not the instrument...

REVERB & STEREO DELAY-

Offline Braca862

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 09:58:29 PM »
Looks like the polyphony did the trick. Still trying to figure out the fade in and fade out.

Also, I checked out DreamStation and I am still having a hard time how to use it. My midi controller doesn't generate sound on that software.

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 10:39:06 PM »
Just do the Fade-In/Fade-Out on your sample as I showed in the pics...It is not doing this on your sample but on a copy in memory so if you fuck up then just reload the same sample again...

Sometimes I put too much fade in front or back...This is the way to take out ticks at the end of some samples too...

As far as Dreamstation you won't hear ANY SOUND till you click on a track column in which the cursor bar will turn YELLOW...THEN you hit 'ENTER' to turn it red so you can play without recording...

Once again...PICS-

Offline Braca862

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2022, 02:43:57 AM »
Yes! Changing the Reverb did the trick! Now the samples don't sound as stark as usual. Thank you so much for your help! Your screenshots have been very helpful. Do you mind if I DM you in case I have any further questions?

Offline P5r

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2022, 06:52:00 AM »
Yeah sure...Glad that helped...

You should still watch 'Protrekkr - Tracks as DSP Conduits' video...It will show you the difference between track settings and instrument settings & global settings...

Here-

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7302.0;attach=11734