Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Akai Insufficient Waveform memory  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Sampler1

• new to the site
    • View Profile
    • Rechip
Akai Insufficient Waveform memory
« on: July 21, 2022, 04:51:22 PM »
Hi All,
I have an Akai CD3000XL sampler with 32 meg of memory and I picked up a massive Library of Sample CD's. Mostly copies.
http://soundtec.42web.io/
I have been trying to find a good grand piano to load up but the better ones I get the message  Insufficient Waveform memory ?
I cannot figure why? 32 meg is the max memory on this model so what model were they loading it into? Example Miroslav Acoustic Piano.
Hummmm?
From what I understand after the CD3000XL there was a few more models with 32 meg of memory and then the S5000 had 256 meg but no longer supported the old Akai proprietary format CD's?
If someone can clear this up for me , I would really appreciate it.
Cheers to the Forum
Sampler1

PS: I also looked for a memory mod on the CD3000Xl and looks like there are none to surpass 32 meg.
Electronic devices are powered by white smoke. When smoke goes out, device is dead.

Sampler 1

Offline P5r

• View Profile
Re: Akai Insufficient Waveform memory
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 06:30:44 PM »
Welcome Sampler1....

I don't have any hardware experience so am useless but somebody else here probably does...I guess we'll see...

Offline Sampler1

• new to the site
    • View Profile
    • Rechip
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 11:15:06 PM »
Appreciate the good wishes.
Electronic devices are powered by white smoke. When smoke goes out, device is dead.

Sampler 1

Offline 6track

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 02:20:31 AM »
I had an AKAI S2000 (and still have it, but don't use it anymore).

You are probably trying to upload more than 32 mb.
These are probably multisample libraries for AKAI S5000/S6000.
If this is indeed the case, then there is nothing to help. You need to find old AKAI libraries where the piano takes up less than 32 mb.

During that glorious good time, I tried to find sounds as small as possible, for example, using a piano from several samples (for example, C2-C4-C6). At that time, we did not yet know that in 20-30 years there would be libraries of ten gigabytes.

I also admire Alan Wilder from Depeche mode, how he skillfully used 1-2 mb of memory on the E-mu Emulator - it's an art to fit several tools in such a small amount.

PS: 32 mb at that time is a fortune. New samplers were usually sold with 2 mb, and musicians worked with 2 mb! Because additional memory chips, like a sampler, cost a lot of money then.

Offline Sampler1

• new to the site
    • View Profile
    • Rechip
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 01:44:06 PM »
6Track,
That is a great reply and Thanks.
 I was thinking the same thing but I had read that the Models S-5000 and up no longer read the Akai proprietary format, they went to a DOS format. My CD-ROM is an Akai format?? Hummmm

Regards!

Sampler 1

Offline 6track

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 02:11:05 PM »
I didn't have an S5000, but as far as I remember the S5000/S6000 could read the S1000/S3000 format (automatically converted to S5000/S6000 format when reading from a CD-ROM), as well as load Roland S and E-mu III/ IV CD-ROM).