Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Does a Powermac G5 run old VSTs?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline smilesdavis

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Does a Powermac G5 run old VSTs?
« on: July 31, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »
hi there knowledgeable folks

so i need to get to run steinberg mastering edition v1.0 (1999) and quadrafuzz v1.0 (1998) Cubase VST and Compatible (logic pro).

is there a way to get them to run on the latest G5 quad core 2.5 stable?

can anyone test this for me?

much appreciated

Offline ehma

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Re: Does a Powermac G5 run old VSTs?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 05:37:18 PM »
For quad-core stability, I know it can be problematic, but mostly noisy. I have a dual-core G5, and it is often noisy when I have to do calculations.
Anyway, it's still quieter than the G4 MDD

Pay attention, G5 is not compatible OS9 at all ! It just host a session.

But as I see the CD requirements, if I were you, I would use a G4 Powerbook or just a G3 B&W. You don't really need such powerful machine, and it will be more safe with a true compatible OS9 machine

Offline smilesdavis

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 03:16:02 AM »
i know all that but what i still dont know
someone with a G5 is there a way to get
those working in say logic 32 bit?
thanks for testing

Offline ehma

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 04:01:55 AM »
I've never tried to do this, but the G5's classic mode can only be emulated. So in classic mode, no direct access to the hardware (which audio applications always need). So I assume you plan to use Logic in OS X.

For compatibility between Classic and OS X the application must be written in carbon, as I see the age of the application it is not.

Alas, I'm afraid it doesn't work.

Sorry.

Offline ehma

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 04:11:37 AM »
I forgot to mention that I've already tried using vst OS Classic plugins in the OS X version of Cubase (SX3 with a G4) and it didn't work at all. Cubase crashed as soon as it discovered the plugin.

Offline smilesdavis

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 04:48:54 AM »
thank you
im experiencing the same behaviour with
the win vst versions with jbridge in patchwork in pro tools 12.5 sadly

i got myself a g4 waiting for the mix core and farm cards

so i can send audio and automation data from pro tools rig 1 win 10 via hdx to sync io to 192 via legacy port to mix core on a g4 running logic in dae mode

i hope**** this works