Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Re: L + R arrow keys move threads  (Read 710 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: L + R arrow keys move threads
« on: September 21, 2023, 08:45:01 PM »
Off-topic: weird config of yours with this forum. The left/right arrow keys don't move the cursor backward/forwoard into the text box as expected, but are bound to previous/next page of the web browser. It's a royal PITA when redacting posts here, if you ask me, unless there's a reason to this. :-\

sorry but ya thats been on the site for many many years.. i use the feature to go thru posts quickly.. its in the javascript for the site. u could probably disable it with javascript?

javascript:Mousetrap.pause();

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
Re: Re: L + R arrow keys move threads
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »
Very unusual: as a coder, I use arrows keys a lot in text editors.
For quick browsing, mouse gestures do it for me.
Anyways, thanks for the explanation.
I'll see what I can do on my side of the internet.

Offline dawful

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 10:31:54 PM »
Off-topic: weird config of yours with this forum. The left/right arrow keys don't move the cursor backward/forwoard into the text box as expected, but are bound to previous/next page of the web browser. It's a royal PITA when redacting posts here, if you ask me, unless there's a reason to this. :-\
It really bothered me. I just type everything out, in Notepad or something.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 10:40:54 PM »
I can change the key bindings to something else if that would help

Offline dawful

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 02:06:13 AM »
I don't know.... Is it just the two of us, that have mentioned it? I can see it being neat, the way it is. If people like it, then the rest of us can adapt.

I too, am a coder. But anyone, having made heavy use of a document editor or command live, is likely to have the arrow key habit.

I also try to avoid the mouse, whenever possible. Despite that, I am learning to place the cursor with a mouse click.

I do wonder if new people make notice of the arrow key message, "L+ R arrow keys move forward and backward".
I initially passed it over, and assumed my USB keyboard was on the fritz, again (needing re-inserting). Because I use the Numkey mouse option, my arrow keys sometimes get funky.

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 02:46:44 PM »
I just blocked mousetrap.js in the "my filters" list of uBlock Origin:

Code: [Select]
! 2023-09-25 https://www.oldschooldaw.com
||www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/Themes/default/scripts/mousetrap.js$script,domain=www.oldschooldaw.com

Does the trick for me when editing this post all over the place. :P

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 01:20:52 PM »
out of curiousity were u guys clicking on "modify' in the tool bar (QuoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic)
or clicking the little icon towards the bottom right of each post. theres definately a bug in that if u click the icon and edit the message in place on the page, the L+R keys are still active and will take you instantly off the page if you press them even by accident, ive definately done this too many times lol but i havent fixed it as of yet (clearly)

if u click "Modify" text linkk in the toolbar above each post it takes you to a dedicated edit page and the L+R keys were designed to not be active on that page.

Offline dawful

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 01:43:31 PM »
I don't seem to have that toolbar, or any modify option.

I have Quote, Reply, Notify, Mark Read, Send this Topic, and Print. Quote, is an Icon by itself.

I am using Seamonkey, and maybe the page renders incomplete/wrong with it.

Or maybe I haven't posted enough, to earn those options, if such a system is in place.