Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: mackie cr1604 (1989) 16 channel + 8 direct outs  (Read 14672 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
mackie cr1604 (1989) 16 channel + 8 direct outs
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »

The 8 "Channel Access" insert points are after the mic preamps, channel faders and equalizers (Post-Fader/Post-EQ).
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/archive/cr1604_om.pdf

http://www.soundonsound.com/Contents.php?Month=12&Year=1991

MACKIE 1604 £949

General purpose 16:4 mixer for rackmount or free-standing use

Reviewed in SOS December '91/RM December '92

With the 1604, Mackie Designs identified a gap in the market for a compact, rackmounting or free-standing mixer with outstanding audio quality and a full list of features, all at a home studio price. Though it does not have genuine subgroups, it has a secondary set of stereo outputs which double in this capacity, allowing 4-track recording with ease and 8-track recording with less ease, though this is still eminently possible.

Essentially a 16-in, 4-out mixer, the 1604 has a cleverly-designed chassis which allows it to be very easily re-configured for rackmounting or free-standing use, by means of its removable and rotatable connector/power supply housing. It offers 16 main channels, seven aux sends and four stereo returns, decent 3-band EQ and a fader on every input. The 1604's mic inputs, fitted only to the first six channels, are known for their quality and are suitable for use in even the most demanding of applications. The mixer's generous headroom and gain structure has been favourably received by audio professionals and insert points are provided on the first eight channels, as is phantom power, which is globally switchable. The 1604's Solo facility is true solo-in-place and up to three 1604's can be connected together via the optional mixer. An extra bank of 10 mic inputs, the XLR210, is also available.

This is a general purpose, good-sounding compact mixer with exemplary mic inputs, musically useful EQ and lots of aux sends, not to mention flexibility and originality of design -- there's nearly always a way to do what you need to do, even though it might not be the most conventional way. It has a wealth of applications in professional, PA and home recording circles.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: mackie cr1604 (1991) 16 channel + 8 direct outs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mackie Otto-1604 for Atari ST + Macintosh
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 06:30:22 PM »

Offline capacitance

• new to the site
    • View Profile
Re: mackie cr1604 (1989) 16 channel + 8 direct outs
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 08:09:25 PM »
I have the complete OTTO-1604 add-on kit for the Mackie CR-1604...  the internal board, ribbon cables, serial cable, control box (complete with rack-mount bracket), and manuals.

The only thing I am missing is the OTTOmix software.  I know it likely only runs on vintage computers, but it would be nice to have.

Does anybody know where I can find a copy of the OTTOmix software?

I've tried many searches, even digging through the Internet Archive.  My searching in fact is what led me to this forum.

Lastly, did the software only run on Macs, or was there also a Windows version?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 07:36:18 PM by capacitance »

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 03:46:28 AM »
Mackie OTTOmix
Mackie%u2019s popular CR-1604 console is automation ready and can be retrofitted
with extra VCA hardware to convert it to an OTTO-1604 with mute and fader automation.
Controlling the system is a Mac running OTTOmix software, which will actually
handle up to three OTTO-1604s for 48 track automated mixing. The software emulates
the %u2018look and feel%u2019 of the console itself and provides features such
as unlimited subgroups, so you can set the relative levels of a drum kit say,
and control the whole lot from one fader. Scenes or snapshots can be captured
for mutes and faders, and fades can be done manually or automatically by the
computer to eliminate any jerkiness the hand may induce. The software is processing
intensive and does require a powerful Mac. Don%u2019t try running it on your
Mac Classic!

the way in which the comments are written would indicate that they are leaning towards a 68030 powered Macintosh machine or better to use OTTOmix software rather then an older machine from (1990) and prior

Offline capacitance

• new to the site
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 07:35:18 PM »
Yes, I would tend to agree.

Do you have any pointers to a source where I can find the OTTOmix software (disk image, etc.)?

There is nothing in the support area of Mackie's website for something this old (unless I missed it).  The Internet Archive has nothing.  Creative Googling has also yielded nada.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 01:19:01 AM »
Yes, I would tend to agree.

Do you have any pointers to a source where I can find the OTTOmix software (disk image, etc.)?

There is nothing in the support area of Mackie's website for something this old (unless I missed it).  The Internet Archive has nothing.  Creative Googling has also yielded nada.

you would have to track down someone who has the disks somehow... obviously.
mackie isnt even mackie anymore so you would have to find someone that used to work for the old MACKIE brand in some sort of technical area of expertise that would require them to have the disks. shrug sorry man i dont know where to tell you to look..