this site exists for reference purposes for all those interested in learning about the original hardware + software from the late 1980s + early 1990s thanks for visiting
Who | MIDI hardware | Software | TIMELINE | PCI | ISA | ATARI ST | DOS/PC | WIN/PC | MAC | Drums | Synths | Modules |Sequencers | Samplers | Tape Rec | Mix Consoles |
Artists | Recent | VST | ios inst | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai "S" | Roland "MC" | MPCs | Roland "S" | Drum Machines | Roland JV Addons | early 90s Synths | late 80s synths
guests are encouraged to: REGISTER for permission to  view file attachments + add relevant videos, downloads, resources. (credit your SOURCE!).
to post a youtube video simply paste the url! the embed will be automatically added

Recent Posts

(ISA) EGA/VGA / Re: Ahead VGA Wizard (1990)
«  by David on May 17, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
Do you by chance have the dip switch settings for this card?  I am trying to set mda mode.
drum - Early 80s / Re: roland tr-77 (1973)
«  by chrisNova777 on May 12, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
thanks for sharing your additional info Kernal! ;)
midi - Parallel (PC) / Re: steinberg pc-midi 3 (1995?) 48 channel midi interface
«  by TheKernal on May 12, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »
Further info from the net:

The MROS driver is STMI3_5.DR. It needs to be renamed to .DRV

The jumpers inside need to be moved towards the printer port to be ST mode.

In Cubase lite (1.0) you can't use it. In Cubase 2.0 You can use all 3 outs but not the input. In Cubase 3, all 3 outs and the input can all be used.

Power supply rating is 9 Volt DC / 150 mA / 1,35 VA.

midi - Parallel (PC) / Re: steinberg pc-midi 3 (1995?) 48 channel midi interface
«  by TheKernal on May 12, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
P.S. The MIDI3 does connect to the printer/parallel port on the Atari, but you must use a db-25 cable as opposed to a standard printer cable. The db-25 and printer cable look identical, so it's impossible to tell the difference. Best best is to make sure you buy a db-25 and one that is sold as such. (db-25 means all pins are connected).

The db-25 cable is also relevant if you intend to hook up a Musicquest 2port/se to a PC. Again a standard printer cable won't work.
«  by TheKernal on May 12, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
See those photos above? That's my MIDI3. It was sold to me as Atari compatible, but when I received it, it didn't work. After scouting round the net, I read that there was a jumper setting inside: one for PC and one for Atari, labelled as such on the circuit board.

Sure enough, when I cracked it open (which wasn't easy), there was the rumoured jumper for setting Atari or PC.
I switched to the Atari setting and hooked it up to my 1040...

It didn't work straight away however as the MIDI3 requires external power and the driver to be activated. Once powered (which you have to do before powering the Atari) and with the driver setting changed to .DRV - success!

They're kind of handy if you require an extra midi in (cubase 3 and above only), but not great for sequencing. The timing is noticeably worse than with the on board Atari midi port.
i assumed that they werent the same thing because:

one is for PC (sporting the MPC logo which stood for Multimedia pc, an initiative that kicked off around the time that pc's first got introduced to optical media cd drives circa 1990/1991) 

and one is for ATARI ST

surely the MIDI 3 is for atari and
PC MIDI 3 is for pc

but you are saying that the PC MIDI 3 is compatible with Atari ST?
im a bit skeptical
drum - Early 80s / maestro rhythm king mrk2
«  by chrisNova777 on May 11, 2018, 12:33:02 AM »

«  by TheKernal on May 10, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
Chris, the MIDI3 and the PC MIDI3 are the same thing. There is a jumper inside to switch from Atari to PC and vice versa. P.S. 

The timing of the MIDI3 is not as good as the internal Atari ports. They are prone to jitter and latency, regardless of which version of cubase you use. The Midex and Midex+ have similar issues, though they'e not as bad as the MIDI3.
midi - USB Midi Interfaces / alyseum U3-88c (2017)
«  by chrisNova777 on May 10, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
www.alyseum.com U3-88c (2017)

First 8X8 MIDI interface through USB3.0!

With 5Gbps data transfer, an asynchronous mechanism which makes it possibel to send and receive data simultaneously (Full duplex), USB3.0 increases MIDI speed by getting the data transfer off the 1ms grid used in USB2.0 transfer.
In addition, using USB3.0, the computer gets the chance to prioritize the USB3.0 MIDI data transmission over other transactions.
This means latency and jitter are now truly insignificant between your computer and the MIDI port *. More....

U3-88c is Class compliant in USB 3.0 and offers driverless operation for WIN7 + 8 + 10 and OSX.

U3-88c is Class compliant in USB 2.0/1.0 and offers driverless operation for WIN XP + 7 + 8, iOS, OSX and Linux.

USB 3.0 Super-Speed is backward compatible with USB 2.0 devices; however, data transfer speeds are limited to USB 2.0 levels when these devices inter-operate.

Features:
   >    8 MIDI In/Out pairs interfacing to USB3.0 and USB 2.0/1.0
   >    DIP switches for fast and easy settings :
             1. Expansion up to 16 MIDI In/Out pairs.
             2. Running Status On/Off (compatibility with some synths requiring this setting).
             3. Multiple USB Endpoints On/Off.
   >    "All Notes Off" push button, for those quirky synths that get sometimes stuck.
   >    Backwards compatible with USB2.0/1.0 (with auto detect).
   >    LED activity indicator for each MIDI input and Output
   >    Ultra-compact rugged, robust, and stylized aluminium box.
   >    USB powered, no need external Power supply.
   >    Delivered with a USB3.0 blue cable  (1,8 meter / 70 inches size)

* We do not consider others latencies or jitter due to Computer processor power, Operating System, softwares load, .... and of course, which not depending of the MIDI Transport via USB.

I have an AW4416 with a 20gb hard drive.  I also have installed the Waves Y56K card which has several processing toos, including an L1+ Ultramaximizer.  The Ultramaximizer is used when mixing down from the 16 song tracks to a stereo master track.  The Ultramaximizer has several settings you can choose when mixing to your two track master.  You can choose quantize to 24bit, 20bit, 16bit, 12bit and 8bit for your two track master.  You can also select Dithering Type 1, Type 2 and None.  You can also choose Shaping (noise shaping) Normal, Moderate, Ultra and None.  And you can choose "Domain" as Digital or Analog.  I have a couple of questions.  First, when I record I record at 44.1k since I want to burn the two track master using the built-in CD/RW burner, since CD-Rs can only be burned from a 44.1k master.  But I record in 24bit rather than 16bit thinking the sound quality will be higher. My main question is, now that I am thinking of converting to a modern computer DAW, or uploading songs I've recorded on the AW to iTunes, etc., is there any way to get the 24 bit version of the recordings from the AW to a computer?  My AW has a "digital stereo out" but it's a SPDIF type RCA connector and I think those are limited to 20bit and I don't know how to connect that to a desktop computer.  I may get an Apple for my future recording, by the way, but I presently use a Windows HP desktop.  There is also a 50 pin SCSI connector but I don't know what it could be used for exactly and I don't think there is a way to use that to get the 16 track recordings over to a PC or Apple computer.  I think they're obsolete now and I don't know if the AW passes the actual recorded material through that connector or if it's just for control.  I don't want to convert from the digital 24bit multi track recordings through the analog outs and then go back through analog to digital conversion to get them onto a computer and I also don't want to have to re-record all the original sequences to a new DAW.  So can anyone tell me a way to get the 16 tracks of a song recorded at 24bit on the AW4416 onto a modern DAW system?  My understanding is that a CD/RW drive recording onto a CD-R disk can only record in 16bit, which is why I'm wondering why the Waves Y56k card offers the selection of 24bit and 20bit when your making your master stereo mix to begin with???  You can select 24bit quantize all day long but what's the point if when you burn the stereo track to the CD-R it drops the lowest 8 bits (unless you choose to quantize down to 16bits)?  So since there is a choice to keep the bit level at 24 bits when recording the two track master mix how could you even get that 24bit stereo master mix out of the machine without going back through the D/A analog outputs?  And is there any way to get the 16 tracks recorded in 24bit to a modern DAW for more work and final mastering?  One more note:  there is an unused Option I/O slot in addition to the one the Y56k card is plugged into.  Thanks.  Jim O in Corpus Christi
OSX Tiger (Apr 2005) / using a 2006 mac pro in 2017
«  by chrisNova777 on May 05, 2018, 01:41:27 PM »

moving from 24bit to 16bit solved this problem for me
im using an Emu 0404 USB interface with windows 10, using the beta win7 drivers for this device, connected via SPDIF to the internal Digital OUT from my intel core 2 duo pc
&feature=youtu.be
fx - 90s / MOVED: eventide h3000
«  by chrisNova777 on May 02, 2018, 04:54:20 AM »
fx - 80s / eventide h3000 (1988)
«  by chrisNova777 on May 02, 2018, 04:53:29 AM »
https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/hardware-focus/eventide-h3000/

The original H3000 became available in 1988.
The unit was soon upgraded to "blue" version called H3000S (Studio), later superseded by "grey" H3000SE (Studio Enhanced). There was also a broadcast version called H3000B (black with yellow switches). The last revisions were H3000D/SE (studio version with red inscription "Dynamic" below the dial knob) and H3000D/SX (musicians version with a red wave above the display and red switches).
The H3000D/SE is definitely the version to have. All other units can be upgraded with EPROM's. As far as I know the hardware was identical in all revisions.