Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Cable Guys Curve 0.5b...Non-Expiring Beta...Weighing in at 1.0 MB...

A Wavetable Synth you draw in your wavetable...

Nice variety of sound potential...

Comes with some presets & banks...Also an original Curve Demo MP3 by Cable Guys...

I give Curve a solid 7 stars!...

Steve Kuhn made a number of very good VSTi over 20 years ago...

Most with a focus on FM synthesis...

His Vivaldi fits our size criteria...It has 4 sub-panels for all tabs except global which has just one...Thus 17 panels for various slider adjustments which is the way to do it for such a small GUI...

Contains a variety of internalized presets with bread-butter at the beginning & more modulations near the end...

Quality plug that works in EVERYTHING for that FM greatness...

I give Vivaldi a solid 6 stars!...

Not just limited to synths...We have Muon DS404 1.01 Computer Music Edition Sampler Instrument!!...

This is actually quite amazing at 1 MB as is a Multi-Timbral Sampler!...

Muon did a great job shoving alotta function into a small GUI still easy to navigate...

Imports 16bit mono or stereo WAVs has 64bit processing with 24bit through the FX sector...

Comes with some example sampler banks & manual...

For what it does VS size I rate it high at 8 stars!...

I have tried many sample players that are much larger in size & just play a single WAV...They look pretty lame against this...

Up this time is ConcreteFX Unison...A 6 Osc Subtractive Synth from 2004...

Wanted to make sure it was not a demo, so made a pattern in Sequential Vibes & let it run for hours...

Let it run & went weedeating, came back, played with it & went out to take Dogs for a POOP, came back & messed with Unison some more then I took a POOP...Looping the whole time...

So I'm sure this is not a demo which is supposed to quit at 10 minutes...

Nice sounds & capable feature set...The banks are good for the time but this thing can easily be pushed further nowadays no problem...

Versatile but with a more laid back sound suitable for Pads, Ambient, Keys more than Leads...

Still amazing coding at a size of 1.00 MB!!...I give Unison a SOLID 7!!....

Next is NUSofting Sinnah 1.0.0...

This is still being updated & is now version 1.2.1 for Win64 & MAC no more 32bitz...Plus requires some MS runtime be present...

Interesting synth with catchy harmonic-feedback envelopes going on some patches...In a way that makes it OK for pads as well as leads...Somewhat limited in the generative department...

I think it's good as a alternate synth for target purpose though...

Had a TTF font that I did not count against size factor 'cause it is there more for convenience if you don't have that font installed...So I guess if we are still talking automobiles then fonts are 'brake fluid'...The Sinnah DLL is 860 KB...

I give Sinnah a solid 6 stars...

OK, well I thought Id start off with a BANG!...

A plug to measure others by...

This is Audjoo Helix 2008 the original open, non-expiring beta...

Incredible sound, very musical quality much like ImpOSCar & a powerhouse to boot...

This was the smallest the GUI would ever be though-

It also qualifies for an extra star for being less than 70% of 1.111 MB! My rating is an 8 so that makes it a 9!...

This comes with internalized presets but there is another bank included which is from that period that works & has some great patches but that's about it for presets...

Well worth learning to make your own...

Awhile back was auditioning many 'minor' VSTi & marveled at how some were very small & quite good...

So thought it would be good subject matter...

Criteria being it has to be 1.111 MB in size or smaller...This means that ANY DLL and supporting system files needed to make it run (needs a SEP or a DAT) are included as the total size...

However MINUS Presets, Docs, Manuals, Tutorials, Wavetables, IRs, WAVs, SF2s or the like...

If we are talking automobiles it would be the complete car, with rims-tires but MINUS gas, oil, trans fluid & owners manual...

Status of the plug matters not as long as it's NOT a demo...Freeware, Open Source, Donationware, Medicated, GUI-less, Betas...Sometimes one must go back to an earlier version to fit within the 1.111 Megabyte limit...

I'll be rating them from 1-10 stars with an extra star for it being less than 70% of the 1.111 MB size & TWO extra stars for it being less than 50% of 1.111 MB...

Type of instrument can be anything & one cannot rate one against another due to apples-oranges of plugs...For me whatever I post will be 'significant' in some way as to be useful & such...

This particular size was chosen as it takes a better quality of coding to stay under 1.111 MB...If I were to have chosen 2.222 MB there would be a complete phonebook to go through with many 'junk plugs' joining the fray...

SOOOOOooo!!...That's it, I'll start things off on the first reply, this will be an ongoing thread...
From 2005 is version 5...Most updated of all the early versions (I checked!)...

Maybe will solve some problems for the running of Fruity's from the version 2 & 3 era, which are strange at best...

Comes with Skins, Walls, Buzz Machines, EZ Editor 1.02, Some Extra Plugs...

Sound quality was getting pretty good by now...

Voyetra Sequencer Plus / Re: Voyetra PatchMaster *Plus* (DOS?)
« Last post by chrisNova777 on May 21, 2022, 03:15:55 PM »
Hi, Did you ever find a copy of this?
Regards,

no it was on ebay for a long time
Continuing on then…

One cool aspect of Dreamstation 1 is the fact it has NO SAMPLER!..Your sample pool is collected up & then you pick what WAV to load as a waveform in the synth…

This sorta makes it like a ‘Linplug CronoX’ in that it has now become a hybrid synth & you can load WAVs into all three OSCs or just one or two & use the others standard-like…

Note this feature only available in the TRACKER not the DXi plugin-

This allows much room for experiments as you get to mess with the sample via many synth parameters…

Dreamstation also respects internal loop points within samples loaded as such & they work much as expected…NON-loopers decay out whilst LOOPERS stay on till another note is reached, there is a note-off command or you happen to turnUP the ‘keyoff’ knob (quite handy…)

Best practice seems to be make just some bS pattern to run-loop whilst changing out WAVs & adjusting all the other for the best possible sound…

Of course you samples must be MONO so you can convert your stereo but if they are loopers then many editors nowadays ‘BLOW OUT’ the loop points when saving…

Endless WAV works well it will combine both channels to a single MONO and WILL RETAIN the loop points, is free-

https://www.bjoernbojahr.de/endlesswav.html

But…BUTT! If you wanna take a stereo WAV & split it into left-right so you could put both left & right into two of the OSCs then Endless WAV won’t work…

I use the old free app Sampled 2.0 which works in MONO only if you load a stereo it will ask which side to load, it retains loop points but you HAVE TO open ‘OPTIONS’ on the save dialog & push in the ‘Save Loop Points’ button before save…

Page is here-

https://web.archive.org/web/20000818030319/http://www.sylaba.poznan.pl/~neurod/sampled/

Download is here-

https://web.archive.org/web/20201002125528/http://www.maz-sound.de/archives/samplw20.zip

Pretty much it…I don’t see where anybody had done sound design in this way usually they just import drum-percussion WAVs in the sample pool & use the synth for EVERYTHING ELSE…
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10