Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration, while other Guest permissions have been added such as guest posting of attachments and guest responses to threads!

Author Topic: Windows XP (32bit) cannot access a disk partitioned with GPT  (Read 3536 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
just a reminder..
i just did this.. i formatted a drive with the EXFAT filesystem .. to be able to use it on both mac + pc.. and then i went to access it -- and it doesnt work because the partition was made as GPT.. so its only accessible by 64bit OS such as windows 7, or Vista 64bit, Snow Leopard and higher, etc

exfat fs on mbr partition = ok with windows xp
exfat fs on gpt partition = not ok with windows xp

if you want to have an external drive accessible by both PC + MAC, new + old, u need to partition it under 2TB with MBR partition type, and use EXFAT filesystem! (or possibly even FAT32 and live with the 4gb per file size limitation!)

GPT partition type + Exfat Filesystem = unaccessible by winxp 32bit
MBR partition type + Exfat Filesystem = works

Exfat compatibility began its availability with Service Pack 2 i believe.. but it may work with the original XP, + SP1 aswell.. ive not tested those. its a download, the requirements state service pack 2 or 3 as a pre-req.

here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=19364

beware of AOEMI partition assistant app..
i used this to convert a GPT disk to MBR and while it did make the disk accessible on windows..
it also made the disk inaccesssible to a snow leopard mac with 10.6.7
so it does something screwey with the partition conversion

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • View Profile
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info