Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) proudly SSL-FREE! and serving vintage computers worldwide! if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration.

Author Topic: looking for newer software that reads Roland .SNG files from MPS for MPU-401  (Read 604 times)

Offline charleshsauer

• keepin' on keepin' on
    • Charlie Sauer music page
I'm trying to get back into doing stuff with MIDI, some with relatively modern software & gear, some with stuff from before the turn of the century. I still have an Ensoniq Mirage, Roland MPU-401 and Roland MPS software that I got in roughly 1986. The Mirage mostly works except for keys in the bottom octave. Yesterday I got the MPU-401 working in a Dell 486/33 and got MPS to send old SNG files that I recorded back then to the Mirage and to more modern interfaces and software. However, this was before things were standardized in 1991, so I'm not sure what instruments were involved, and the recordings mix recognizable parts and mystery parts. (I also used a Yamaha DX-21 and a Yamaha RX-11 back then.) I'm still hoping to figure out how to convert the SNG files directly into standard files. Any suggestions on software newer than 1986 that might be able to process the Roland SNG files?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 12:59:32 PM by charleshsauer »

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
can always use old software

sng2mid from http://www.gnmidi.com freeware (it is a DOS software)

Offline charleshsauer

• keepin' on keepin' on
    • Charlie Sauer music page
Looks like that is specific to Korg SNG and doesn't work for Roland SNG

P:\home\tmp\SNG>sng2midi nearedge.sng nearedge.mid
nearedge.sng is not a korg file

P:\home\tmp\SNG>

Thanks for the pointer, anyway.