Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) proudly SSL-FREE! and serving vintage computers worldwide! if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration.

Author Topic: Re: L + R arrow keys move threads  (Read 735 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Underground tech support agent
  • Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: L + R arrow keys move threads
« on: September 21, 2023, 08:45:01 PM »
Off-topic: weird config of yours with this forum. The left/right arrow keys don't move the cursor backward/forwoard into the text box as expected, but are bound to previous/next page of the web browser. It's a royal PITA when redacting posts here, if you ask me, unless there's a reason to this. :-\

sorry but ya thats been on the site for many many years.. i use the feature to go thru posts quickly.. its in the javascript for the site. u could probably disable it with javascript?

javascript:Mousetrap.pause();

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
Re: Re: L + R arrow keys move threads
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »
Very unusual: as a coder, I use arrows keys a lot in text editors.
For quick browsing, mouse gestures do it for me.
Anyways, thanks for the explanation.
I'll see what I can do on my side of the internet.

Offline dawful

• new to the site
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 10:31:54 PM »
Off-topic: weird config of yours with this forum. The left/right arrow keys don't move the cursor backward/forwoard into the text box as expected, but are bound to previous/next page of the web browser. It's a royal PITA when redacting posts here, if you ask me, unless there's a reason to this. :-\
It really bothered me. I just type everything out, in Notepad or something.

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 10:40:54 PM »
I can change the key bindings to something else if that would help

Offline dawful

• new to the site
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 02:06:13 AM »
I don't know.... Is it just the two of us, that have mentioned it? I can see it being neat, the way it is. If people like it, then the rest of us can adapt.

I too, am a coder. But anyone, having made heavy use of a document editor or command live, is likely to have the arrow key habit.

I also try to avoid the mouse, whenever possible. Despite that, I am learning to place the cursor with a mouse click.

I do wonder if new people make notice of the arrow key message, "L+ R arrow keys move forward and backward".
I initially passed it over, and assumed my USB keyboard was on the fritz, again (needing re-inserting). Because I use the Numkey mouse option, my arrow keys sometimes get funky.

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 02:46:44 PM »
I just blocked mousetrap.js in the "my filters" list of uBlock Origin:

Code: [Select]
! 2023-09-25 https://www.oldschooldaw.com
||www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/Themes/default/scripts/mousetrap.js$script,domain=www.oldschooldaw.com

Does the trick for me when editing this post all over the place. :P

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 01:20:52 PM »
out of curiousity were u guys clicking on "modify' in the tool bar (QuoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic)
or clicking the little icon towards the bottom right of each post. theres definately a bug in that if u click the icon and edit the message in place on the page, the L+R keys are still active and will take you instantly off the page if you press them even by accident, ive definately done this too many times lol but i havent fixed it as of yet (clearly)

if u click "Modify" text linkk in the toolbar above each post it takes you to a dedicated edit page and the L+R keys were designed to not be active on that page.

Offline dawful

• new to the site
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 01:43:31 PM »
I don't seem to have that toolbar, or any modify option.

I have Quote, Reply, Notify, Mark Read, Send this Topic, and Print. Quote, is an Icon by itself.

I am using Seamonkey, and maybe the page renders incomplete/wrong with it.

Or maybe I haven't posted enough, to earn those options, if such a system is in place.