Recent | Online | Vintage | Modern | Win | Mac  OS9 | DOS | Amiga | Atari ST | Graphics | Midi io | Sequencers | Roland "MC" | E-mu | Ensoniq | Akai MPCs | Samplers | Akai "S" | Roland "S"Synths | VST Samplers | VST Synths | Roland "JV" | Modules | Drums | Mixers | Timeline | HackintoshArtists | Graphics

Welcome to Oldschooldaw.com! (Online since 2014) proudly SSL-FREE! and serving vintage computers worldwide! if you are human, Register & Login to gain more access to all boards here; Some guest permissions have been limited to reduce traffic from bots and encourage registration.

Author Topic: File-Ex - Use long file name in 16-bit Windows apps under Win32/x86  (Read 373 times)

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
I've been using File-Ex 98 from Cottonwood Software for ages on my PC, and just saw it is now Freeware:

http://www.file-ex.com/download.html

Beyond LFN support that works like a charm under 16-bit Cubase for instance, those are great customizable file dialogs.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:42:00 PM by foksadure »

Offline foksadure

• Stuck in 1997
Re: File-Ex - Use long filename in 16-bit Windows apps under Win32/x86
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 01:04:21 PM »
Direct link to the tour:

http://www.file-ex.com/fx95tour.html

And a quote frome the README.TXT about which version to use depending on your needs.

Upgrading from File-Ex 98 (a.k.a. version 2)
--------------------------------------------

If you're currently using File-Ex 98, you may wish to upgrade to version 3 to get a few new features and continued support.

However, there is also one reason you may NOT want to upgrade -- version 3 does not enhance old-style dialogs or 16-bit applications under Windows 95/98/Me. (Under Windows NT4/2000/XP you can train File-Ex for 16-bit applications and get long file name support, but not in Win9x.)

So if you're using 16-bit applications and currently depend on File-Ex to use long file names with them, you should not upgrade yet.

Hence sticking to File-Ex98 (aka v2.0) for 16-bit apps.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:42:08 PM by foksadure »