Author Topic: Recently won a boxed copy of Rebirth RB-338  (Read 231 times)

Offline luce

• old school music enthusiast
    • my soundcloud
Recently won a boxed copy of Rebirth RB-338
« on: September 17, 2020, 08:45:44 PM »
Hi all!
Recently I won a boxed copy of Rebirth RB-338 2.0 off of ebay, for insanely cheap, $1 US.
See attachments for pictures.

While it hasn't shipped yet.
Before it does, I was curious if any of you guys on here have any useful tips for someone trying use Rebirth to make full songs.
I've got over 11 years of experience making music, and have used almost every modern DAW at least once, and I'd love to mess around with some older software for once.

I've messed around with Rebirth a small amount a few years back when it went free.
Never made any proper songs or anything with it though.

I'll take any bit of tips you can throw at me.

And while I'm here, what are some good mods I should check out when it gets here?

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
Re: Recently won a boxed copy of Rebirth RB-338
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
sweet! nice box - i used to play rebirth on my laptop thru my buddies car stereo back in late 90s when it first came out and man! people tripped out thought i was some type of musical computer hacker genius because it was insane to be able to do that with just a laptop at the time nevermind in the school smoking area over a system with a big woofer in the back of the car! ha!

Offline luce

• old school music enthusiast
    • my soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 10:02:15 PM »
sweet! nice box - i used to play rebirth on my laptop thru my buddies car stereo back in late 90s when it first came out and man! people tripped out thought i was some type of musical computer hacker genius because it was insane to be able to do that with just a laptop at the time nevermind in the school smoking area over a system with a big woofer in the back of the car! ha!
I actually planned on using the it on my old Dell Windows 98 laptop, but sadly the drive died over the weekend, and I dont have a backup.
I do however have a Windows XP Desktop that I can install it on until I can get a replacement drive or a whole replacement laptop.
It was junk anyway haha, only ever turned on if I pushed down really hard next to the power button.

I'll definitely post a couple of pictures when it gets here as well as videos that I end up making with it!

Offline chrisNova777

• Administrator
  • "Vintage MIDI Sequencing + Audio Production"
    • www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage audio production software + hardware info
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 04:53:24 AM »
i just got a compact flash adapter to 44pin IDE for laptops to use with an old pentium 4 - perhaps you could do the same if you have some compact flash udma7 card available.. or might be smarter to get SD card to IDE adapter because SD cards are still able to be bought pretty much anywhere

Offline Project5er

• Older Code, Cleaner Code
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 03:21:56 PM »
Well, I'm a little late on this but I had just 'reupped' links on another forum for ReBirth...

These contain the 'cured' edition of rebirth that don't need to see a CD or mounted image to run...

Plus the reBirth Cookbook, Manual, Guides, Songs and there is a folder of 'SELECT' songs that I set aside as more high-level
examples of the use of ReBirth whether musically or technically...

Also some good utilities like the pattern generator, modpacker, etc, etc

ReBirth was the coolest in it's day and what a great piece of coding to be able to function with crappy old audio drivers...

Even today there is really nothing like it...Since it does install as a rewire slave you can run it in any DAW or sequencer that is rewire host...

I recently ripped some addresses on the wayback machine & got back a Synapse Audio Orion 3.8 that has SO FAR...Been the most efficient rewire host yet...For ReBirth AND anything else...

So personally I would load up many tunes to study from the 'select' songs & watch carefully what is going on as the songs progress...As you create you will want to keep a realtime ledger of what is in each of your patterns...Either with pen-paper or a on-screen note program...There are several I use that stay docked to the side of screen which is convenient as they auto-hide...

Thinking 'a step at a time' & preplanning melody-harmony...adding drums at the last instead of beginning will allow more interesting flow rather than Boom-Boom-Boom-Blam-Blam-Blam monotonous lunacy...

Remember that the SPACE between notes is just as important as the notes themselves...

I have a channel on Alonetone-

https://alonetone.com/TalkOrBell

Only have 3 actual tunes (no rebirth yet)...

Anyways I'll leave it at that...

Links-

https://www.sendspace.com/file/p7eooc

OR

https://anonfiles.com/r9T4a2j8p9/Propellerhead_Rebirth_RB338_2.01_for_PC_rar

Those links new as of 10-24-2020